Quantcast

The Hellatrail: An Abomination

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Here it is, what you've all been waiting for, I hope it meets expectations. Sorry for the delay, I was giving it it's maiden punshing this morning. Enough chit chat. Here are the pics. The pink is hard to photograph well, the sunlight tends to wash it out and make it look less full than it is.

Disclaimer: The guys at GG had no input on the colors, so don't blame them.

Credit Kidwoo for the name "Hellatrail"

Reach: 20.5"
Stack: 27.7"
HT: 7.1" (180mm)
ST: 22"
WB: 51.5"
Wheels: 29 F, 27.5 R
3 water bottle holders
Weight: ??? I'll weight it eventually. It ain't light.

This is probably the most accurate picture of the color. Also note the high quality finish and post-powder coat prep the frame gets!

Fresh from the box (okay mostly just included the pic to show off the motos)

It's the details that count

Some more mid-assembly pictures

It climbs...just not that fast

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
More words and stuff.

Overall the bike is basically perfect. We took some risks on the geo but I think it's spot on for anyone over 6'5". If you're a big guy, I'm going to save you some time here: Have GG make you a custom Hellatrail. It is the only trail bike worth trying for tall guys. Your arms, knees, back, and shoulder will appreciate the extra couple of bucks the custom geo costs. I've tried every other trail bike that is supposedly "good for tall guys". Nothing comes close to this. Most bikes are a full two inches too short on the reach if not more. If you're over 6'4", and you're riding a bike with a 19" reach or less, and you think it "fits", you wrong. Just, straight up wrong.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
:rofl:

It's such an awesome bike. You should give Super Gravity mode more of a chance though. I'm running 175mm cranks (because I'm not a wookie) but I don't really have pedal strike issues and I run it in SG almost exclusively. You'll get used to it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
:rofl:

It's such an awesome bike. You should give Super Gravity mode more of a chance though. I'm running 175mm cranks (because I'm not a wookie) but I don't really have pedal strike issues and I run it in SG almost exclusively. You'll get used to it.
See, I thought that too. But apparently when climbing steep stuff I was repeatedly actually grabbing my toes on the relatively featureless ground, bringing me to an abrupt stop several times. Which got...really annoying after 2500 ft of climbing. Also made we wary of getting foot injuries. But Gravity mode is like cheating in turns and such. I'll give it another shot. Maybe if I put clips on there (which I'm planning on) that'll mitigate the problem. What are mostly people running in terms of the front shock mount? Upper or lower?

A brave choice, nice to see Bruce Jenner inspiring others.
I'm a MAN!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
See, I thought that too. But apparently when climbing steep stuff I was repeatedly actually grabbing my toes on the relatively featureless ground, bringing me to an abrupt stop several times. Which got...really annoying after 2500 ft of climbing. Also made we wary of getting foot injuries. But Gravity mode is like cheating in turns and such. I'll give it another shot. Maybe if I put clips on there (which I'm planning on) that'll mitigate the problem. What are mostly people running in terms of the front shock mount? Upper or lower?
You definitely need to pay attention, but it's worth it for the cornering.

I'm running the lower front shock mount (Super Gravity mode) with a CCDB coil.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well there isn't really a whole bunch in SC needing Gravity Mode. If its chunks and rocky run Gravity. If its steep and you don't need a ton of traction running it in Super Gravity will make it a bit more snappy and allow it to climb a bit better....

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Well there isn't really a whole bunch in SC needing Gravity Mode. If its chunks and rocky run Gravity. If its steep and you don't need a ton of traction running it in Super Gravity will make it a bit more snappy and allow it to climb a bit better....
Super gravity still has the issue of pedal strikes. It sounds to me like SG would be ideal for the SC descents (steep and smooth-ish). Whereas rocky SB/SLO trails might be too rocky for SG. I suppose all the climbs in SB/SLO are smooth and relatively flat fireroad, so pedal strikes when climbing shouldn't be that much of an issue.

I've been reading kidwoo's review just now. Sounds like I need to try Plaid mode. SC trails tend to reward the jump and pop style (aka my style bitches). So that might be the ideal setting.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You definitely need to pay attention, but it's worth it for the cornering.
Fair point, but I tend to go on fairly long rides (typically 3500 ft min of climbing according to Strava), I'm worried the additional mental and physical effort isn't worth it. Might just tire me out significantly quicker. If I was doing more fireroad climbing I'd definitely run SG mode though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've been reading kidwoo's review just now. Sounds like I need to try Plaid mode. SC trails tend to reward the jump and pop style (aka my style bitches). So that might be the ideal setting.
I'd definitely be curious to hear your thoughts if you try it, but I think plaid mode is likely to be pretty harsh with a coil shock. I went to a coil because I wanted more mistroke support over the CCDBa that I was using in Super Gravity mode, but Plaid feels pretty firm and poppy with an air shock. I think it's likely to be a bit much with a coil.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just run it in normal trail and supergravity. That plaid mode is kind of overly poppy. I know SC isn't rough but there's plenty of speed. You gonna get bucked. That's basically your "I don't own a smaller efficient bike but want to go on this long flat ride" setting.

Or really, you own the damn thing, try them all. You'll figure something out.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Solution: Stop sucking at riding bikes
It's been 10 years, why stop now?

I'd definitely be curious to hear your thoughts if you try it, but I think plaid mode is likely to be pretty harsh with a coil shock. I went to a coil because I wanted more mistroke support over the CCDBa that I was using in Super Gravity mode, but Plaid feels pretty firm and poppy with an air shock. I think it's likely to be a bit much with a coil.
Okay so just checked my bike realized it WAS in the lower front shock mount all day. Oops! Guess I'll have to try the non-super modes next time.

You'll figure something out.
Don't get cocky

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just run it in normal trail and supergravity.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think gravity might actually be worthwhile with a coil shock. It was too wallowy ("plush", for the Santa Cruz folks out there? :D) with the CCDB air, but going to a coil make a pretty noticeable improvement on that front in normal trail and supergravity.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
780mm. But I only have like 1.5 shoulders, so I like the leverage.
Yeah I think I'm gonna go to 780 at least. I found my hands wanting to inch in a tiny bit, plus i was clipping a few trees, which is annoying, especially when climbing.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
What are all those measurements in non stone-age, measurement standards? Want to know what the geo is and CBA converting it all :p

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I alternated about 50/50 between Gravity and Trail just depended on what trail was being ridden. Pedal strikes where a non issue after awhile...

What I wanna know is why the hell you have a coil on there? Just throw some more weight on er or what...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Dood, jeebus...I'm not sure what I'm more speechless on...the COLOR or the 29F/27.5R combo & 3 water bottle holders! Either way, congrats on your creation!

As for the mode. I'm running a coil too, in Gravity mode. I think it feels perfect. So perfect I haven't felt the need to try Super with a coil...yet. (I've done plenty of messing around with all the modes with an air shock).

I also get a little freaked being so low doing tech climbs, but I'm used to it now. You could also try running a little less sag. I assume you have 170mm cranks? That helps, too. And yeah, clipless pedals with out a platform make for a smaller area to smack into things. Don't get me wrong, I still hit things on climbs and yesterday was my first time on a descent (that scared the crap outta me). Obviously, I'm still learning how to ride bikes.

One change I made was I decreased the rear rotor size to 160. Seems to have helped some weird braking thing that I'm pretty sure is just me not knowing how to ride bikes.

My handlebar is 777mm. I'm 6'3. Feels great.

OH yeah, here is what the GG guys say about coil and mode on the site FYI:

Can I use a coil shock?
The Megatrail is optimized around the air spring curve of an air shock, which has a softer mid-stroke. This means a coil shock would only really be suitable for Gravity Mode, creating an overly-stiff mid-stroke in the other modes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
OH yeah, here is what the GG guys say about coil and mode on the site FYI:

Can I use a coil shock?
The Megatrail is optimized around the air spring curve of an air shock, which has a softer mid-stroke. This means a coil shock would only really be suitable for Gravity Mode, creating an overly-stiff mid-stroke in the other modes.
Yeah, I disagree with that. Granted, I tend to run my suspension pretty stiff, but I think it's pretty awesome with a coil in SG mode. If I was a riding a lot of slower, chunky stuff I might feel otherwise, but for both smoother trails, and more wide open stuff with some chunder it's great.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Pink bike again. That color works is you are fast as hell. Like that Aussie that was living in So Cal for awhile riding the all Pink Giant DH bike.

It needs Pink hoops.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
keystone opens this weekend? I'm down for laps.
Yes! Hella pumped to be stoked! Altho, I'm pretty sure its going to be from "mid" mtn down. Webcam shows a bunch of snow at top still.

http://www.keystoneresort.com/explore-keystone/web-cams.aspx

I'm planning on heading up there the following weekend. Seeing as its my first Father's Day, I'm making the fam go to Keystone for the weekend :banana:

Back on topic. How's that Jade? Didja use moar shimz?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah, I disagree with that. Granted, I tend to run my suspension pretty stiff, but I think it's pretty awesome with a coil in SG mode. If I was a riding a lot of slower, chunky stuff I might feel otherwise, but for both smoother trails, and more wide open stuff with some chunder it's great.
That statement about coil shocks is a middle of the bell curve position. Of course, there are always different riding styles/preferences, and terrain (same reason there are multiple modes in the suspension). As you said, you're on the side of the bell curve that's faster and harder hitting than average, with what sounds like smoother terrain. For that style, we recommend stiffer setups such as Super Gravity, running on the lower side of the recommended sag, etc. Running a coil shock in SG is right up that alley.

Also, fwiw, when we did a demo tour on the west coast, we ended up running mostly Super Gravity in places like Santa Cruz and Bellingham since the climbs were generally non-technical and not super steep.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Ok, now that it seems we've moved past the initial aesthetics panning, I'm curious to know if the bike was built around a 29/27.5 arrangement so that the geo is essentially the same as a 27.5 or 26 model? The 29/27.5 set up reminds me of the Liteville 601 sizing philosophy. As for bar width, I'm a little surprised you're not going wider given your Wookie-ish dimensions, as I'm 5'11" and have come to actually love my 800 mm bar (I do have knuckle dragging, ape arms tho). But I'm also not climbing nearly as much as you, nor have many concerns about hitting my bars (i.e. as with Kidwoo and his 11" bottom bracket preference, I guess you get used to it after awhile).

Also have to say that metal flake gold paint is pretty tittyriffic. A whole frame that flavor would be rad IMO.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That statement about coil shocks is a middle of the bell curve position. Of course, there are always different riding styles/preferences, and terrain (same reason there are multiple modes in the suspension). As you said, you're on the side of the bell curve that's faster and harder hitting than average, with what sounds like smoother terrain. For that style, we recommend stiffer setups such as Super Gravity, running on the lower side of the recommended sag, etc. Running a coil shock in SG is right up that alley.

Also, fwiw, when we did a demo tour on the west coast, we ended up running mostly Super Gravity in places like Santa Cruz and Bellingham since the climbs were generally non-technical and not super steep.
Totally understood, and agreed. It's not going to be a great setup for everybody, but I like it, and it's not worth categorically ruling it out. :)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ok, now that it seems we've moved past the initial aesthetics panning, I'm curious to know if the bike was built around a 29/27.5 arrangement so that the geo is essentially the same as a 27.5 or 26 model? The 29/27.5 set up reminds me of the Liteville 601 sizing philosophy. As for bar width, I'm a little surprised you're not going wider given your Wookie-ish dimensions, as I'm 5'11" and have come to actually love my 800 mm bar (I do have knuckle dragging, ape arms tho). But I'm also not not climbing nearly as much as you, nor have many concerns about hitting my bars (i.e. as with Kidwoo and his 11" bottom bracket preference, I guess you get used to it after awhile).

Also have to say that metal flake gold paint is pretty tittyriffic. A whole frame that flavor would be rad IMO.
Geo on the XL and @gemini2k's super mongo frame are designed to take either a 27.5" or 29" front end. It is designed for a slightly taller axle to crown height than the rest of the 27.5" frames since they are for people that are 6'4" and taller.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Geo on the XL and @gemini2k's super mongo frame are designed to take either a 27.5" or 29" front end. It is designed for a slightly taller axle to crown height than the rest of the 27.5" frames since they are for people that are 6'4" and taller.
just curious, why no 29" rear end for this sasquatch?