Quantcast

The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just a thought for a few of you, i charge whatever i can in my truck while im driving, the alternator is charging the battery thats full, might as well, even if its not the greenest (which i think its better than your house) its still free. (i dont think it affects the trucks gas mileage.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Your trying extra hard tonight eh? What i meant is that chances are, its going to be more usefull charging small things in a truck, its like asking me to carry something that weighs a gram in my backpack with 20 lb books, i am already carrying it, that minuscule amount isnt going to do much, obviously the energy isnt free, i assumed you all understood that, but since not, no, its not free energy. My alternator charges the battery, and i would assume (yes, assuming) it fills the battery pretty quickly, after all, even if i drove with no electronics (impossible with engine) the alternator goes no matter what, might as well take advantage of that. its .1% for headlights, imagine a cell phone

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your trying extra hard tonight eh? What i meant is that chances are, its going to be more usefull charging small things in a truck, its like asking me to carry something that weighs a gram in my backpack with 20 lb books, i am already carrying it, that minuscule amount isnt going to do much, obviously the energy isnt free, i assumed you all understood that, but since not, no, its not free energy. My alternator charges the battery, and i would assume (yes, assuming) it fills the battery pretty quickly, after all, even if i drove with no electronics (impossible with engine) the alternator goes no matter what, might as well take advantage of that. its .1% for headlights, imagine a cell phone

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If you really want to trace my thoughts on similar issues over the years read these in sequence (links are to my blog--the OP in this thread is a vB-formatted version of a blog post by yours truly). Relevant quotes from each to this topic showing the progression of my thoughts are included here. Note that I learned to capitalize somewhere in the middle of all of this ;)

Dec 29, 2007: life as a series of linear equations
currently i'm in a Mazda RX-8. it's not particularly cheap to own or insure, is decidedly not at home in the snow, likes to high-center itself on doubletracks, isn't discreet, can't hold much inside or especially in the miniscule trunk, and isn't particularly frugal on the premium blood-oil. on the other hand, it was designed with a singleminded emphasis on being as light as possible, is beautiful, meets the reasonably strict Bin 5 federal emissions standards, handles wonderfully, is sufficiently rare, has a friendly local dealer, and performed admirably even when packed to the gills on the road trip this summer.

unfortunately, the car makes me feel guilty: for shortchanging my outdoor side, having more or less sacrificed skiing and biking on the altar of on-road performance; for driving a car that gets 23 mpg on the freeway on a good day; for driving something "nice" when i should probably be buckling down and preparing to live an ascetic life as an intern, starting out in a new city with jessica.

i'm over that stage that many are stuck at when i mistakenly thought finding the right car would make life itself better. for that matter, substitute any material good for car and you describe a whole host of lost souls above which i like to imagine myself.
April 6, 2008: no more racing, no more RX-8
i'm mentally done with racing. i'm done with the car. i'm ready to move on to a less expensive, simpler life as a busy resident, even if it means my life will have a little less frivolity and adrenaline.

(on that note, anyone want to buy a 2004 Mazda RX-8?)
May 23, 2008: carless
i'm now officially carless -- above is the car shippers hauling what was formerly my Mazda RX-8 away. it'll live in Alberta from now on courtesy of eBay Motors. up until this point i had largely been unaffected, shielded by my resolve to do the right thing: financially; practically, given my new apartment won't have a dedicated parking space; and for the environment. however, when it was finally loaded up i must admit that i felt saddened.

for at least the next year i'll do everything in my power to stay carless. when i absolutely need a car Zipcar will fill the need, and for long trips i'll buddy up with jessica. long island may require tempering of my ideals, but for this year i want to live with as minimal an impact as possible.
December 21, 2008: a grab bag of thoughts
i fully realize that the financially prudent thing to do would be to buy a normal gasoline car similar to jessica's 2001 toyota corolla but that'd be buying into the current system. i think our current way of life based around cheap gas, cheap cars, cheap parking is unsustainable as all the external costs to the environment and society are not factored into the costs, and i want to (continue to) do something different.
January 10, 2009: on planning for the future
i've long felt that our current lifestyle is unsustainable. back when gas was expensive i wished it were more expensive yet as a catalyst for changing peoples' lifestyles. my shedding of my car and the whole associated car-culture lifestyle, and my ongoing ruminations on modes of personal transportation are further evidence of this.

i haven't spent as much time or effort thinking of other pressing issues, such as the government's insolvency, the possibility of the dollar sinking into obscurity, and the long-term implications of living in a nation that essentially does less and less besides going on military excursions while consuming at a torrid pace. well, i have, actually, as evidenced my another recurrent theme in my mind, of "escape" to someplace sane and unsullied, with new zealand the prototypical country.
April 29, 2009: do electric vehicles make environmental sense?
in this post i attempt to determine whether electric vehicles make environmental sense over their lifecycle, a sober question that needs to be answered prior to their widespread adoption.
April 22, 2010: Earth Day
It's Earth Day today, and all that we do in the name of the environment seems merely symbolic.

The fundamental question is whether our current lifestyle is just a little bit unsustainable or massively unsustainable. I'm of the latter opinion generally, but you don't see me volunteering to live in a treehouse... which is exactly my point:

If the long-term survival of the ecosystem depends on humans making massive lifestyle changes I simply don't see it happening barring some literally cataclysmic event. If cutting back our energy usage by N% (where N == small but non-negligible if barely so) is enough then we have a chance, and in that cases actions such as switching off lights for an hour only to turn them on again or writing a letter to the editor or generally raising awareness (see Stuff White People Like entry #18) might not be as entirely useless as they seem.

I'm not a fatalist and I "do my part" in as much as I have changed my lifestyle without compromising on the core, energy-intensive aspects of it: e.g., I walk to work currently and plan to commute to work in the future on a bicycle, on an electric railway, or in an electric car. Yet when I get to work I read studies from a machine of one part in a billion precision with superconducting magnets cooled with liquid helium, in a building where diesel-fueled generators sized for a small town are at the ready should the connection to the local power plant waver. If I didn't have a conscience I'd keep the lights on all the time, reap the rewards of cheap military conquest-subsidized gas and drive everywhere in a Hummer, and truthfully the impact of these actions would probably pale in comparison to the energy and infrastructure required for the inefficient, technology-heavy practice of modern medicine.

With that I offer a toast to the earth. May it not crumble under us, and may our token gestures actually prove to be meaningful.
August 7, 2010: Specific Climate Impact of Passenger and Freight Transport
The ACS journal Environmental Science & Technology just published a paper that's very relevant to my interests. If you're not interested in transportation and its interaction with climate change go ahead and hit delete/back/mark as read now.

Ok, anyone still here? No matter.
August 22, 2010: Argonne PHEV and BEV well-to-wheels energy use analysis
Given my interpretation I find it curious that the authors instead conclude that PHEVs can lead to reduced GHG emissions and energy usage… when compared to conventional gasoline vehicles. I find this conclusion of theirs disingenuous, as when comparing (rightly, in my opinion) to non-plugin gasoline electric hybrids like the Toyota Prius then one sees that the environmental case for PHEVs basically falls flat on its face. I can only speculate why the authors didn't emphasize this point more.
Finally, we have this post, The futility of the Prius and the end of the world as we know it, which I published on Feb 21, 2011.

Looking back at things you can see how I've vacillated between hope that technology could save us with stark realism. My Earth Day, 2010 post was probably the closest to this current one, which attempted to sum up all of the above.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
We're broke now. We'll be even more broke in the future. The military will have their nukes (and perhaps that'll cause some tensions when a large city demands that a nuke-powered carrier dock there and let the city leech off their reactor, hmm) but we plebes will have nothing of the sort.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Toshi -
I'm coming into this late, but what you have been doing is the right thing. I would say that you take it too far though. There is a stage less extreme than what you are doing that will allow you to minimize your output. You mentioned that you take the bus to Costco and that you have trouble getting to your outdoor activities.

It will not hurt you to own a car, but be thoughtful about it. Look at a car that has the net minimum negative impact on the environment. I'd hesitate to say that vehicle is battery operated, as they use large amounts of rare earth metals which are primarily mined in China. The environmental standards there are a bit lower than one would want... You also have to plug into the grid, which is primarily powered by coal burning plants.

Have you looked into a mid-sized diesel wagon? I know it will be hard to find and you will pay a premium, but it might be the best balance for your beliefs and your life. I believe that ethanol powered vehicles are the most efficient usage of a renewable energy source, but ONLY if it comes from a waste product like sugar cane. As for your moped, it makes total sense, and I would agree that you should use it for the majority of your transit that cannot be done via public transit.

Just remember to give yourself some balance of efficiency/clean living vs. life (time spend). You have limited time due to your profession, so where you can, make the most of it. Don't forget to live your life still.

For housing, I know you are not a believer in large houses. What about a mid-sized house with a large yard (assuming you would buy a house)? Turn the backyard into a functional garden. This will both save you money, allow you to control the amount of pesticides that are released into the environment on your behalf, and reduce emissions output due to transportation. You might still need to buy some foods (citrus for example), but you can re-use any waste in the form of compost. You can also setup systems that allow you to clean and use grey water for systems like waste water (ie toilets using stored shower drainage) and some recycling into the garden.

Within the house, close off under used rooms so that you do not need to heat/cool them. This seems like a waste, but if you have to get a larger house to get the yard, why not? It also gives you room to build out with a family.

And sure, PV solar is not the most effiient, but you can pull yourself off-grid with something like that. You can also build out with smart appliances and a smart in-house utility box (can't remember proper name) that allows you to maximize that off-grid electricity. What about LED lighting? Building out with renewable building materials (bamboo) and

You can be very efficient and environmentally friendly without consuming your life with the negatives that come along with living a spartan life. You just need to find that balance that allows you to enjoy your life, while still standing to your beliefs.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As for the country as a whole, yes we are screwed. That being said, if you can remove yourself in large part from being dependent on that infrastructure, how does its breakdown truly negatively effect you?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I appreciate you (teh Joker) coming into this thread with earnest advice, and apart from buying a VWAG product most of the items seem like good, sane things to do. However, this advice doesn't really apply to the greater point of this thread, of our world's trajectory. I'm not asking for advice on how to live my own, personal life in a "green" way through window dressing.

We're all complicit in the sin of the modern world, if you will... and to join my cult you must accept this without denying it and also accept that our actions are ultimately insufficient. :D

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Pretty sure it's in circles around the sun.
I think you are on to something.

toshi for everything green you try and do, I just thought i'd let you know that people like myself believe so much in your theory that we drive 15 mpg diesel trucks, and have an outboard powered 2 stroke powerboat that burn as many as 35 gph, and I cut down trees to heat my house, using a 2 stroke chainsaw, and a still ride a two stroke dirtbike, and use a 2 stroke blower and weed whip to make my yard look all tidy when I am done mowing it with my lawn tractor, and I own 3 cars, and dirtbikes, and I'm shopping around for a polaris rzr, and since your theory is that any attempt to be green is futile and we are all gonna die anyway I'm gonna enjoy my time here

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
As a guy who just spent a bunch of time in multiple hospitals, I wonder how green they are. Did a solar amberlamps get me there? How much current did my ventilator draw when I needed it to breathe for me? The constant unwrapping of sterile items to poke in my skin and throwing away of rubber gloves used for a one minute exam must have generated tons of landfill waste, not to mention the biohazard waste from my surgery. And those big bright lights always on should probably have been driven by wind power sourced electricity. And I once saw the parking lot, which was full of cars used by employees and visiting families, just a sea of un-green vehicles converged on this one hospital. Imagine how many more there are in the city of LA?! I say we target these giant Eco-offenders with a mandate from the masses that they clean up their act or else we boycott their services until they do. It is just offensive what they get away with.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think you are on to something.

toshi for everything green you try and do, I just thought i'd let you know that people like myself believe so much in your theory that we drive 15 mpg diesel trucks, and have an outboard powered 2 stroke powerboat that burn as many as 35 gph, and I cut down trees to heat my house, using a 2 stroke chainsaw, and a still ride a two stroke dirtbike, and use a 2 stroke blower and weed whip to make my yard look all tidy when I am done mowing it with my lawn tractor, and I own 3 cars, and dirtbikes, and I'm shopping around for a polaris rzr, and since your theory is that any attempt to be green is futile and we are all gonna die anyway I'm gonna enjoy my time here
Yeah, I get it, you're an unthinking asshole. Congratulations. This thread is not directed at you.

:thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As a guy who just spent a bunch of time in multiple hospitals, I wonder how green they are. Did a solar amberlamps get me there? How much current did my ventilator draw when I needed it to breathe for me? The constant unwrapping of sterile items to poke in my skin and throwing away of rubber gloves used for a one minute exam must have generated tons of landfill waste, not to mention the biohazard waste from my surgery. And those big bright lights always on should probably have been driven by wind power sourced electricity. And I once saw the parking lot, which was full of cars used by employees and visiting families, just a sea of un-green vehicles converged on this one hospital. Imagine how many more there are in the city of LA?! I say we target these giant Eco-offenders with a mandate from the masses that they clean up their act or else we boycott their services until they do. It is just offensive what they get away with.
Yup, the very act of keeping people alive for longer is part of the energy use problem. I'm ok with that. I think people living is a good thing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I appreciate you (teh Joker) coming into this thread with earnest advice, and apart from buying a VWAG product most of the items seem like good, sane things to do. However, this advice doesn't really apply to the greater point of this thread, of our world's trajectory. I'm not asking for advice on how to live my own, personal life in a "green" way through window dressing.

We're all complicit in the sin of the modern world, if you will... and to join my cult you must accept this without denying it and also accept that our actions are ultimately insufficient. :D
We are all guilty yes, and Americans are by far the greatest perpetrators. The thing is, without a necessitated paradigm shift, nothing will change. What we as sound minded, and environmentally focused individuals, can do is live in a manner that lessens our impact. It's a matter of making people aware of what they can do easily that is healthier for the environment.
You will not get someone who drives a giant SUV to give it up overnight. Showing them how they can save money buy using smart appliances, energy mgmt software, and solar panels for a negligible up front cost, is a first step.
If you have a functional garden invite them to dinner. Explain that everything in the salad is from your garden and how easy it was to grow.
You need to think baby steps and overall mentality of change. It won't happen fast.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You're still talking in terms of "first steps" and incremental change, even while acknowledging that the necessary step (that won't happen until absolutely necessary) is a paradigm shift. You're still stuck in my 2008 mentality, albeit without as much guilt and fanatical drive as I had. :D

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You're still talking in terms of "first steps" and incremental change, even while acknowledging that the necessary step (that won't happen until absolutely necessary) is a paradigm shift. You're still stuck in my 2008 mentality, albeit without as much guilt and fanatical drive as I had. :D
It's the 'The Day After Tomorrow' mentality; nothing will change until a change is forced.

My reality check came into play out of pure cheapness. I didn't want to pay extra for things I could make/do myself. For most people it's not like that though. Americans are inherently lazy (despite our heritage) and will be damned to do something that they can just buy, then complain about how they have no money.

There are so many things going against the concept of environmental awareness, self-responsibiilty and self-sustainability that the headwind is as you say, completely overwhelming.

As individuals, we can only do what we can do. Living an 75% efficient life vs. 90% as you are is still a HUGE step over 0% efficient. I would love to see the US get to 50% effient, as that is still a lifestyle that people can comfortably live at. Will it happen without a paradigm shift? Not likely.

I just do my part to be as environmentally efficient as I can, without up-ending my ability to live my life. If I wanted to go 100% green, I'd move to a ranch in Montana and live off the land.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, that's it! If you can't conversate with them just call them an asshole and act all superior!!:thumb:
What "conversating" would you like to do? Your post is the verbal equivalent of a Calvin-pissing-on-a-Ford-logo sticker. :think:

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
What "conversating" would you like to do? Your post is the verbal equivalent of a Calving-pissing-on-a-Ford-logo sticker. :think:
You mean Calvin right?

No, my post did exactly as I intended it to do, it proved to me that although you think the change is futile, you still get all pissy when people aren't sippin' your kool aid.

While I give you credit for your insults, and your attempts at trying to make me feel as if I am not as good or smart as you, i'm pretty sure you in all of your superior wisdom should be able to come up with something better than that. But then again, I guess i have read some of your posts, and thats about par for your course.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
We are all guilty yes, and Americans are by far the greatest perpetrators. The thing is, without a necessitated paradigm shift, nothing will change. What we as sound minded, and environmentally focused individuals, can do is live in a manner that lessens our impact. It's a matter of making people aware of what they can do easily that is healthier for the environment.
You will not get someone who drives a giant SUV to give it up overnight. Showing them how they can save money buy using smart appliances, energy mgmt software, and solar panels for a negligible up front cost, is a first step.
If you have a functional garden invite them to dinner. Explain that everything in the salad is from your garden and how easy it was to grow.
You need to think baby steps and overall mentality of change. It won't happen fast.
Higher fuel prices would be the thing that gets people to rethink and then rework their spending and lifestyles. Whatever you think of in your life right now can be traced to cheap fuel.

A really good book to read on this is the Deep Economy by Bill McKibben. It's not without it's gloom but it's a lot more positive and solution orientated than something by Kunstler. Some of his ideas sound better than what we have no - happier closer knit communities vs. the strip mall/housing that has become so prevelant.

I read a book last year $20 Per Gallon and it's effects on our day to day life. The author had some interesting ideas and broke each chapter down by the cost of fuel rising by the dollar per gallon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
As individuals, we can only do what we can do. Living an 75% efficient life vs. 90% as you are is still a HUGE step over 0% efficient. I would love to see the US get to 50% effient, as that is still a lifestyle that people can comfortably live at. Will it happen without a paradigm shift? Not likely.
You give me too much credit. No, really: even back in my car-free phase I probably reduced my total impact by maybe 10%, and that's a stretch. It's transportation that's a part of our energy usage, yes, and I addressed that one pretty soundly, but it's also the way we work and the things we do, construction methods, all our material possessions, the very materials our clothes and medicines are made up, our huge standing military, everything. Do you think financial analysts and derivatives traders have any role in a society that lacks the energy to provide lighting, let alone a stable, ethereal international electronic trading platform? One can't achieve a paradigm shift alone, and, again, that's my point.

My new philosophy: let us celebrate the achievements of our society that improve our lives. The best example of this from my biased perspective is MRI, a technology only ascendant in the past several decades, a technology at the pinnacle of what we can do: superconducting magnets, fancy math to generate an image from the barely perceptible differences in spins of protons, and the resulting ability to tell what's going on better than basically anything else inside one's brain, shoulder, or spinal cord.

There's no way such a technology could be developed or survive in a world without cheap, abundant power to give scientists a life of physical leisure so that they can work their "magic", to power the billion dollar fabrication plants that craft superconductors and meld metal and plastic, and, last but not least, to provide uninterrupted power to the sundry hospitals where such machines, now commonplace, can be found.

It's a shame that in an era of such plenty we're reduced to bickering about whether two dudes can marry each other and the like, but that's a whole different issue entirely...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You mean Calvin right?

No, my post did exactly as I intended it to do, it proved to me that although you think the change is futile, you still get all pissy when people aren't sippin' your kool aid.

While I give you credit for your insults, and your attempts at trying to make me feel as if I am not as good or smart as you, i'm pretty sure you in all of your superior wisdom should be able to come up with something better than that. But then again, I guess i have read some of your posts, and thats about par for your course.
Yeah, Calvin. I have no idea what a Calving is or why I typed that. :D

You didn't come here looking for conversation. You came here to prod the bear and you got the appropriate response. Period.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Higher fuel prices would be the thing that gets people to rethink and then rework their spending and lifestyles. Whatever you think of in your life right now can be traced to cheap fuel.

A really good book to read on this is the Deep Economy by Bill McKibben. It's not without it's gloom but it's a lot more positive and solution orientated than something by Kunstler. Some of his ideas sound better than what we have no - happier closer knit communities vs. the strip mall/housing that has become so prevelant.

I read a book last year $20 Per Gallon and it's effects on our day to day life. The author had some interesting ideas and broke each chapter down by the cost of fuel rising by the dollar per gallon.
don, did you see this 2007 thread of mine, from back when my doomsday thoughts were yet nascent and unformed?

gas at $20/gallon

(That book dude stole my idea! :rofl: )

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

As painful as it would be, $10/gal would solve a lot of problems.
At $4/g I'm start staying out of my turbo and my wife commutes by bus.
At $5/g we stop driving my car and start driving her car as it gets 4mpg better.
At $6/g we'll be riding our bikes to the grocery store which is 1 mile away on a busy street.
At $7/g range and I'm pretty sure I can convince guys I work with to commute together and/or bring my bike with me to work to ride home so the wife can drive home.
If it crossed $10/g I would have some serious considerations about shelving my car as a 'fun' car, using Wife's car as a secondary/mtn car, and buying a high mileage econo box for commuting.

Hopefully if gas were to get expensive enough, there would be a shift of drivers to public transit, which would provide the funding to buildout and expand public transit to 24/7.

At $10, our lifestyle would dramatically change. I think it would actually revitalize the economy though... IF I was paying through the nose for my energy costs, I would be doing everything I could to bring down my energy costs: triple paned windows, solar power, smart energy software, better insulation, LED lighting, etc.The corresponding increase in food prices would also heavily cut our meat consumption while increasing our own garden production.

I agree that ot would be painful, but the reality is that if gas started getting that expensive, we would likely invade someone and take over their oil supply.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yup, you can bet that at $5/gallon even "pacifist" Dem Senators would be banging the war-drum, looking to invade Iran or some other crap like that... [/sadbuttrue]

splat

Nam I am
You mean Calvin right?

I see what you did there!

Yeah, Calvin. I have no idea what a Calving is or why I typed that. :D

You didn't come here looking for conversation. You came here to prod the bear and you got the appropriate response. Period.
He threw out a Line and you bit hook, line and sinker. I hate to say for every person there is out there like you trying to use as few BTU's as possible there are 10 that are toy addicts.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
or we could just drill for oil. prod the toshi, prod the toshi

the reserves are there....
How about we just withdraw our global armies? I remember read a stat somewhere that they are the #1 user of oil globally, and by a sizeable amount.