Quantcast

The dark corners of the trade show: Interbike Superlatives

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was just going through some of my photos from Vegas and found a handful of weirdness that I took pictures of.

There are all kinds of oddities at Interbike. Many are things that aren't surprising offerings in the market, odd or niche as they may be, but why would you spend money to attend a trade show to display them?

Just thought I'd toss up the weird ones for laughs, and a couple that were funny exercises in excess.

Most unnecessary complication
When was the last time you had a serious traction problem on a road bike, that front wheel drive would have solved?
2wd_road.jpg

Most fun with a bedazzler
The entire bike was coated in rhinestones. I don't know what to say.
bedazzled_cruiser.jpg

Biggest attention whore
This might have been grabbed by the rhinestone monstrosity above, except that this baby is visible from three miles away.
eye_searing.jpg

Most likely to develop Type II diabetes
I just don't know what to say here. Why? A 95 lb. single speed cruiser?
pedal_moto.jpg

Most likely to develop anorexia
A juxtaposition to the one above... Specialized's new S-Works McLauren. The frame weighs under 1000g, and the whole kit costs a whopping $18k. Yikes.
sworks_mclauren.jpg

Best recycling
This sculpture by SRAM was pretty awesome.
sram_bird.jpg

Most unloved
Xtracycle had a whole booth there. This little beauty was tucked away in a dark corner, over by one of the loading doors. Uh, yeah. Who ordered this thing? It looked like a hot tub on wheels.
wood_xtracycle.jpg

Best media kit
Everyone is handing out media kits. Most are printed, but a fair number are coming on branded thumb drives now. X-Fusion was clearly the winner, though, with their molded rubber shock USB drive - a 4gb drive at that - and what amounted to a machined ninja throwing star, given how sharp the edges were.
xfusion_mediakit.jpg

Anyone else see any weirdness from the shots floating around?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Sweet, I'll be sure to get that Specialized McLaren just after I take delivery of my MP4-12C.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So that first bike has two freehubs and the font whell only drives at around a 1-1 ratio? I'm having trouble working that thing out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So that first bike has two freehubs and the font whell only drives at around a 1-1 ratio? I'm having trouble working that thing out.
Yep, it's 1:1 to the front wheel.

What I had trouble working out was why they mounted a freehub to the front wheel? It would seem to me that it'd make better sense to develop a custom rear hub, so that you stop that extra chain from turning all the time.

As it is now, with the sprocket hard mounted to the rear hub, the whole chain assembly is turning every time the rear wheel is in motion, it's just not turning the front wheel.

They had a fat tire version that had plastic covers actually attached to the chain so that you wouldn't get caught in the chain as much. I can't imagine riding that in the mud, though. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
There could possibly be many hijinks to be had in altering the ratio so that it's not 1:1...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Attached is the shot of the plastic-capped chain that they run on the mountain bike. It's designed so it doesn't leave crap on your leg or catch in your pants, but I can't imagine running that in any kind of dirty situation - the cog teeth won't be able to force the dirt out the far side of the chain.

:think:

2wd_mtn.jpg

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The 2wd bikes from back in the day that used a speedometer cable seem like a step forward relative to this.