Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I’ve noticed that there are very few independent dealers anymore. They are all part of a large conglomerate. I contacted two differently named Hyundai dealers and got the same form email back.
The Honda store a 1/2 mile from here goes by it's original family name but its been owned and operated by Lithia Motors for at least 10 years.

counterpoint: big dealers actually move units. I got my crazy Busy Forks deal through an AutoNation store, and with the discount they were throwing around they must get extra holdback or something from Toyota.
You can be family owned, big and do volume.
I can't speak for Toyota directly but the trend for the last 5-6 years has been volume based. Achieve the objective the manufacturer set at the beginning of the month and the store earns back 4%-8% of total MSRP sold. Unfortunately only the owners see most of that money after the store pays rent and all of the other nonsense expenses created to make owners rich.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Got any info on how the one-pay thing works out? That would be a slick way to go.

edit:
Ha, I emailed a place I had shopped before and they called to go over current deals. LOL I just want to know if I can get this deal on the car that’s on their lot. Relatively simple.
My emails all were super specific. And yet still got garbage responses from most. Insert proper terms for your proposed deal here:

I was interested in a lease quote on one of the 2024 Kona Electric SELs listed on your site (16D3815).

Specifics: please use the current March 19 published incentives for this quote, 24/12 lease, tier 1 MF and structured as a one-pay lease (so please use the 0.0009 MF reduction!), eliminating as many of the dealer added add-ons as your management will tolerate, and with local sales tax for 80238 (8.81%; city and county of Denver) if that’s something you all would collect vs my local DMV. Thanks!

-me

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Replaced the Radiator and Thermostat in the Racing Honda. Hoses and clamps were fine. Took about 4 hours because of 8000 little, tiny clips that are made of the weakest plastic ever made. I was advised to get extra. I am glad I did. Replaced the TCM sensors and lower sensor wire for good measure. Thermostat was a bitch too. Man, they put those things in tight. Drive Hubs and Rear Rotors next. I may not do that work myself.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My emails all were super specific. And yet still got garbage responses from most. Insert proper terms for your proposed deal here:
The best ones are like a month later:

"Hey, this is Darren, the sales manager, are you still interested in a new xxxx? We have a great inventory and blah blah blah".

I reported them as spam.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The best ones are like a month later:

"Hey, this is Darren, the sales manager, are you still interested in a new xxxx? We have a great inventory and blah blah blah".

I reported them as spam.
Ha, I made the mistake of getting a shipping quote for a car in Texas I was looking at. Obviously I didn't buy it and yet over a month later I still get emails and texts "hey, you still need that car shipped?"

What was most interesting were my quotes from $400 to $3k. I've been told you are best off somewhere in the middle. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ha, I made the mistake of getting a shipping quote for a car in Texas I was looking at. Obviously I didn't buy it and yet over a month later I still get emails and texts "hey, you still need that car shipped?"

What was most interesting were my quotes from $400 to $3k. I've been told you are best off somewhere in the middle. :rofl:
I emailed a VW dealer last year about a car, didn't get a reply.

They called me out of no where earlier this year asking if I was interested in something.

Bro, you missed the boat on that one. :rofl:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A whole big bunch of bit's which individually are all pretty cool, but when mix and matched together like this, is utterly repulsive to look at.
I'm not a fan of the roadsters, but the coupes look amazing. One of my all time favorites in Gran Turismo. I don't even want to know what a 1:1 RHD vert even costs.