Quantcast

The Bakery: The Power of Not Giving a F*ck

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
no kidding...I agree it's a junky piece that I couldn't even bring myself to read to the end, but Danielle is a good friend and a decent person and most of you are pretty pathetic.
LOL. You realize that what you just typed applies directly to you as well. We are decent people and have our own good friends and you're judging us by what we wrote. I guess we're all pretty pathetic. :p

But hey, you put up an editorial, invite people to read it on a forum, then you best expect to get some feedback.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Listen-
I write crap like what is published on the Bike website all of the time, and it get's disseminated all over the goddamnplace and I've never once been treated with such disrespect and utter contempt as 5 or 6 of you here are showing.
It's the sort of pathetic vitriol that you usually see at the bottom of some politically divisive news article, and half of those people are paid by superpac's.

I don't know what's up with you guys, but cut it the f#ck out. It makes you look like idiots.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
LOL. You realize that what you just typed applies directly to you as well. We are decent people and have our own good friends and you're judging us by what we wrote. I guess we're all pretty pathetic. :p

But hey, you put up an editorial, invite people to read it on a forum, then you best expect to get some feedback.
feedback is one thing, this thread is a whole different level of brutal sh!t though. what she wrote wasn't good, but what people have written in here is downright nasty and uncalled for.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no kidding...I agree it's a junky piece that I couldn't even bring myself to read to the end, but Danielle is a good friend and a decent person and most of you are pretty pathetic.
I don't know about anyone else, but in my first post or so I did say I really really agree with her point. But when you say something like 'palmer didn't train' it shows that she didn't give a fvck enough to actually find good (true) examples. I want to read the article she set out to write because she has an excellent point. It just all kind of fell out the window once she went to explain it and find examples.

I type stupid shlt up ALL THE TIME. That doesn't mean I'm a bad person (except to demo9) and no one with a clue is making value judgments on my character.....at least not accurate ones. I don't dislike or wish bad things for Danielle....I don't even know her. I wish GOOD things for her! Like being able to realize palmer was a unique mix of talent and contrived image. And being able to realize someone riding around interbike in a speedo is just an attention whore who gives more of a f*ck than anyone. She'll write better pieces that way and life will be more betterer!

Last edited:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I don't know about anyone else, but in my first post or so I did say I really really agree with her point. But when you say something like 'palmer didn't train' it shows that she didn't give a fvck enough to actually find good (true) examples. I want to read the article she set out to write because she has an excellent point. It just all kind of fell out the window once she went to explain it and find examples.

I type stupid shlt up ALL THE TIME. That doesn't mean I'm a bad person (except to demo9) and no one with a clue is making value judgments on my character.....at least not accurate ones. I don't dislike or wish bad things for Danielle....I don't even know her. I wish GOOD things for her! Like being able to realize palmer was a unique mix of talent and contrived image. And being able to realize someone riding around interbike in a speedo is just an attention whore. She'll write better pieces that way and life will be more betterer!
okay, so I re-read things, and there's only a few guys that really went over the line, and you weren't one of them, and I pretty much agree with your perspective on the piece...but still, Scary and Dilzy are suggesting throat punching her, scary then called her a skank, jonkranked implies drug use (she doesn't use), limitedslip calls her an "idiot woman"....I realize people like to exaggerate for effect and use inflammatory language, and I know that I'm being slightly offended on behalf of a friend (whom probably doesn't give a f#ck), but it's pretty weak behaviour and in pretty poor taste, even for this group of degenerates.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Wow. I didnt read this thread when it was posted and just realized it was taken down; coz of some other threads made in reference. I also read the article itself and honestly, I dunno what to say.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thread was sterilized by BV and he also gave SCARY an unpaid vacation. In the future, watch the hostility. We really don't need it.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Gotcha. I guess in all sports, not just the extremos; riding bikes, snow or climbing rocks, w/e... There are always some bad eggs mixed in.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I deleted the comments that were especially nasty. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, and even welcome to say that the author is a terrible writer if that's what they think... but we don't need the flame wars.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
okay, so I re-read things, and there's only a few guys that really went over the line, and you weren't one of them, and I pretty much agree with your perspective on the piece...but still, Scary and Dilzy are suggesting throat punching her, scary then called her a skank, jonkranked implies drug use (she doesn't use), limitedslip calls her an "idiot woman"....I realize people like to exaggerate for effect and use inflammatory language, and I know that I'm being slightly offended on behalf of a friend (whom probably doesn't give a f#ck), but it's pretty weak behaviour and in pretty poor taste, even for this group of degenerates.
i never implied drug use. neither did carl sagan. 'twas only a recommendation.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I'm sorry... is this satire?

I can't work it out. Of course the obvious come back is that you don't give a fvck about any of these comments! Hooray for irony. And satire.

I really hope satire, because otherwise = massive fail.
Given the ironic (though deserved) censoring of responses to an article about the importance of not giving a ****, I now conclude that this was not satire, and that the sponsor (or RM relationship manager) gives a ****. Shame the sponsors editor (or sub ed) didn't give enough of a **** to think about what would happen when such a poorly written (or spaz trolling effort) piece was put in front of a bunch of bored, over-the-hill, 'I'm still a biker' pedants WITH embedded RM comments on their site... like raw meat in front of a ravenous lion, it's only going to end one way.

Still, that Palmer eh? Who gives a ****? Not me (as well as being a use-to-be biker, I'm an over-the-hill skater too).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can't entirely tell what the insinuation was regarding the "sponsor" above. To be completely clear: nobody asked for the purging of these posts, and I did not do it for any other reason than deciding to delete sh*tty posts from sh*tty people.

Any other thread that I read would have gotten the same treatment, article or not.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I can't entirely tell what the insinuation was regarding the "sponsor" above. To be completely clear: nobody asked for the purging of these posts, and I did not do it for any other reason than deciding to delete sh*tty posts from sh*tty people.

Any other thread that I read would have gotten the same treatment, article or not.
My apologies for any suggestion of lick-spittleness, and as agreed above there were some well-over-the-line posts by people who normally are better behaved.... however there was a post by someone (a new mod?) with a comment about how bike were a sponsor so blaa blaa blab something. Seems to be deleted now.

You should know - I don't read others' posts - I just skim them enough to allow me to form a wildly inaccurate argument and then smash my keyboard until something ends up on the interwebs. This means that the post by the pseudo-mod with a comment indicating the sponsors delicate sensibilities might be offended by the RM-locals response to their mediocre article became "we're ****ting ourselves that our sponsor will pull some ads".

I don't give a ****, neither should you.

Its the internet.

On a forum about push bikes.

Now, where's my gold sequined jacket?

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007

I'm not a ****ty people, and my panties are thoroughly bunched. I find this post....Offensive!

minutiae

Chimp
Dec 13, 2012
fantastic article danielle, bourgeois republicans have a hard time being smoked by heathens. the state of mountain biking in north america saddens me more every year. go south my friends, there are much less bourgeois republicans

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
My apologies for any suggestion of lick-spittleness, and as agreed above there were some well-over-the-line posts by people who normally are better behaved.... however there was a post by someone (a new mod?) with a comment about how bike were a sponsor so blaa blaa blab something. Seems to be deleted now.

You should know - I don't read others' posts - I just skim them enough to allow me to form a wildly inaccurate argument and then smash my keyboard until something ends up on the interwebs. This means that the post by the pseudo-mod with a comment indicating the sponsors delicate sensibilities might be offended by the RM-locals response to their mediocre article became "we're ****ting ourselves that our sponsor will pull some ads".
Uh, that was me and my post is still there. I said that if it had been a toolbox RM member posting something like this from say, TeamRobot, I would probably have just deleted the entire thread and anything associated with it, because it sure seems like flamebating to me....BUT, since BIKE is now affiliated with this website and they posted the article as official, I would rather not have just erased the whole thing (plus it apparently causes hosting issues over on their website). That was before it turned into an e-riot.

However, BIKE-affiliated or not, I won't tolerate advocating violence against each other, troll-posts, or idiot hostility. I don't care where you post it (the 650b thread seems to be becoming a good place).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Uh, that was me and my post is still there. I said that if it had been a toolbox RM member posting something like this from say, TeamRobot, I would probably have just deleted the entire thread and anything associated with it, because it sure seems like flamebating to me....BUT, since BIKE is now affiliated with this website and they posted the article as official, I would rather not have just erased the whole thing (plus it apparently causes hosting issues over on their website). That was before it turned into an e-riot.

However, BIKE-affiliated or not, I won't tolerate advocating violence against each other, troll-posts, or idiot hostility. I don't care where you post it (the 650b thread seems to be becoming a good place).
So you admit to being a corporate stooge? ;)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do you know how much money Ridemonkey brings in? I mean, Shakespeare got to get PAID, son.

Nobody is editing content about the article, just the posts by the dingdongs that keep trying to e-throatpunch one another.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you know how much money Ridemonkey brings in? I mean, Shakespeare got to get PAID, son.

Nobody is editing content about the article, just the posts by the dingdongs that keep trying to e-throatpunch one another.
I spend so much time on here without blocking ads that I'm doing my part to keep the platters spinning and the packets moving.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I've only read it just now but why is being a rebel associated with being a drunk and an idiot? Is Henry Rolins not a rebel?

Also snowboarding went through their drunk punk phase and now they are better off as a sport than skateboarding so we should we care?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I've only read it just now but why is being a rebel associated with being a drunk and an idiot? Is Henry Rolins not a rebel?

Also snowboarding went through their drunk punk phase and now they are better off as a sport than skateboarding so we should we care?
Drunkard punk rockers are the lazy inept driveling type of rebels, make sense?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's debatable.
They are better off than they were in the days of punk snowboarding when everybody was banned from riding resorts. The sport went big even if it isn't "true" whatever that means. Also there is still a strong punk movement in the snowboard community. I remember as far as 3 years ago Future Snowboarding posted a report from a condom and whisky bottle filled yakuzzi.

Dilzy I agree. It was fun to be a drunk punk rocker at 15 but I don't think the sport will benefit from being run by 15 year olds. I want better trails, adventures, friendly, great people. Not wannabe tough guys. Let's leave that to the UFC fans.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's debatable.
Not for me. The punk snowboard movement and the ban went on for longer around here so I remember it quite well. Being cool but not being able to ride vs now when I get awesome off piste tracks right next to lifts, I can order a heli, I get amazing gear as well as safe anti avalanche gear and I'm pretty sure the extra cash from extra users helped it.

Not to mention I don't get any kicks from feeling my sport is underground and only cool people I like ride snowboards. Never understood that. Also you glorify the old times. It was equally as lame in some cases.