Quantcast

Talk about getting flat!!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
In Dirt Rider (or Dirt Bike can't remember) this month it shows a shot of him about that flat going off over a jump...draging his foot peg.....

I think he is going into a downhill turn but he bike is WAY over...it confuses me everytime I look at it.

Is he riding a 80cc bike in that picture you posted? It looks small for some reason. :think:

Juano

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
my hi-use
Bubba does the bubba scrub. He whips like that to scrub speed with out letting off the gas or using the brake. If you look at all the racer's they do it but Bubba does it a lot more and that's why he is so good. He can keep it pinned and still get back side on a jump that everyone else would over clear. SKILLS! It's a 125 that he is on in that pic. an it's probably not a hip he is just scrubbing speed by tweaking the bike to the side.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Juano said:
Bubba does the bubba scrub. He whips like that to scrub speed with out letting off the gas or using the brake. If you look at all the racer's they do it but Bubba does it a lot more and that's why he is so good. He can keep it pinned and still get back side on a jump that everyone else would over clear. SKILLS! It's a 125 that he is on in that pic. an it's probably not a hip he is just scrubbing speed by tweaking the bike to the side.
I had heard it referred to as the "Bubba Scrub" but didn't quite get it, thanks for the good explanation Juano! :thumb:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
wysiwyg said:
and being flat slows you down, how....
I don't know....

turning it sideways makes you a big sail to push air and slow down....

maybe it has something to do with redirecting the bike and for a moment and then bringing it back inline.....slowing your forward momentum to reach teh ground again to get back on the gas. I guess when you don't scrub speed you jump farther and have that much less time accelerating....maybe it is more of a redirection of speed as opposed to a "scrub" (or to slow down)....getting back to earth first to accelerate again.

The sooner that rear tire gets on the ground the faster you can get accelerating....that much I know. You are only slowing down in the air....you can't accelerate.

I think the first picture is him initiating this "scrub"

But I could be talking out of my butt....*shrug* I never liked jumping...even motorcycles....well very high anyway.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Whipping the bike slows it down due to wind resistance. Thus, getting the bike back on the ground quicker. To paraphrase McGrath, you can put power to the ground when your in the air.

Laying the bike over helps to keep the bike low on the jumps. Instead of popping way up in the air.

I can't do either because I suck on the track. I jump 40 footers while 12 year olds are going over me on 85cc bikes hitting 90 foot triples. I did whip the bike a bit the last time out on accident and I thought I was going to die. Coming from a DH bike, the first thing you learn on a moto is that you can't man-handle it like the bicycle.

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Juano said:
I agree with above - whip will scrub time (sail & gyro forces) mid-way through while keeping fast approach to pass, and still line up / make next turn.

Is he really doing this - looks like he's starting low and not really whipping? Is this to keep his speed throughout? Maybe by moving total weight through a smaller radius . . . guessing now . . . anybody know the facts?

I've been out of moto for a long time now, and gotta see this guy ride.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
prerogative said:
I've been out of moto for a long time now, and gotta see this guy ride.
I watched him in person at the Silverdome and every other SX on TV. He could have been competitive in the 250 class on his 125. Infact, one of the SX races only Reed and Windum were faster in practice.

I think the Bubba show is cool, but he could cool it on the stupid sprinkler dance after he wins. Some kid did that in the 4-6 advanced class after he won a local race and just about got smashed by the 250A class that was already on the track. Eitherway, he is amazing to watch. Get your tickets now for the 2005 SX season with RC, Reed, Windum, Pastrana and Bubba. I just with McGrath would get back out there and spank Bubba back to reality.