Quantcast

Swinger 4 Way problems?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I am going to contact Manitou as soon as those sleepy west coast slackers wake up, but in the mean time has any body had any problems with their Swinger 4 Ways?

I went to let some air out of the shock lastnight after putting a lot (130psi) in it for the National and when I took the shock pump off the schrader valve the shock wouldn't hold any air. :mumble: I tried two different types of shock pumps and each would pump the shock up, but as soon as I took it off, the shock would blow off all of the air I had just put in it. After riding Avys for the past two years and NEVER having a single problem, I am wondering how much longer I will be on a Manipoo. :mad:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Yeah, there's a very simple fix. Get a valve core remover (for a standard car/schraeder valve), take the valve out, file/cut the little knob at the end off (or a couple of millimetres in other words), reinstall, and try again.

Edit: for clarification, the part I mean to file down is the part of the little shaft that you would press with your fingernail to let a bit of pressure out. The reason it lets all the air out is because the pump's seals disengage before the little nub inside the pump's head stops pressing on that part. Ya get me?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
thaflyinfatman said:
Yeah, there's a very simple fix. Get a valve core remover (for a standard car/schraeder valve), take the valve out, file/cut the little knob at the end off (or a couple of millimetres in other words), reinstall, and try again.
Will this void the warranty?

Will I loose any oil in the process?

And what caused this to happen after the shock worked for about a month?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
profro said:
Will this void the warranty?

Will I loose any oil in the process?

And what caused this to happen after the shock worked for about a month?
a) shouldn't do, it's not a vital part of the shock at all
b) No
c) using a different pump can be the difference. I had the same issue with my own 6-way, it would pump up fine with the pump at my lbs, but the seals disengaged too early with the pump we had at a race recently, so I had to take the valve core out (it just involves slotting the tool in, and unscrewing it by hand - no internal parts are removed, just the same as removing a valve core from a tube, it's seriously minor) and cut about 2mm off the end with a pair of pliers. It's a very simple fix, and even if you somehow f'ed the valve core up, I'm 99.9% sure you could just whip one out of a standard bike tube and whack it in.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I just downloaded the service manual for the Swingers and it mentions this problem and fix. I have a tire repair kit at home and I think I can fix the problem. I hope. Maybe the bugger is just loose, if not I think I have some spare valve cores in that little kit so hopefully I can be riding her again this weekend.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
You shouldn't need a spare valve core. All I had to do on mine was pull it out, cut the tip off with a pair of pliers (this took about 3mm off all up), then put it back in. If you're not riding this weekend (due to this) you'll be very unlucky ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I can push up and down on the shaft and as I do, I feel air escape out of the SPV chamber at the schrader valve. With no air pressure in the SPV chamber the damping system doesn't work. Does that sound right? Does this mean I need to bleed the damping system because I have air in the oil?

Hopefully Manitou will be at the Schwietzer national and I can get it serviced there if I end up going.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
it sounds like you need a new valve core all together. I've never seen a valve core fail but if you can feel air go in and out of the shock when you cycle it then you probablly aren't getting a good seal from the valve.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I replaced the valve core over lunch and now it holds air again. I called Manitou and talked with them about it. I did what they would have done. Can't wait to get it out on the trail again. Anybody want to ride?