Quantcast

swap-out curnutt for avy??? on an '02 foes mono

my bike is mainly used for freeride instead of actual racing. while i love the stable platform offered by the curnutt, it seems too soft otherwise, bottoming easily on larger hits. i'm already running the max pressure (100 psi) and even a #500 spring (foes reccommends a #350, but that is WAY too soft for my liking) the platform make the bike jump like a brick and very hard to bunnyhop. i am hoping to make the bike more progressive, as the linear rate dosen't work so well with my riding style.

since this bike sees a lot of big huck/gaps and lots of jumping. i'd like to make the bike slightly more lively, while not blowing thru the travel easily like it currently does.

plus, i've read on this board a few times that the curnutt is not the optimum shock for heavy hits...... i have very limited knowledge about the avys but i hear all the raves about them. so i am wondering if swapping out the curnutt for an avy is a good idea....

i have extensively messed with different air pressures while also adjusting the ramp up knob. anything less than 80psi and 3/4 full ramp-up, is soup. (again this would be perfect for racing applications, but too soft for my riding style) the rebound is self explanitory....

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if the curnutt is anything like my 5th element you should be able to dial in the air volume and get the shock to be very progressive, my experience is that with less air pressure the ride becomes more lively but slightly more difficult to pedal. I'd say you just need to turn in the air volume more and let some air out, compression and rebound damping set where you prefer but ideally compression all the way out and rebound somewhere near fast for a plush feel, compression in a little bit with rebound at full fast for jumps and a little more rebound and a compression for big hucks. At least that's what I've been told.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I run max air in the 5th, 450lb spring, adjust everything to bikes liking, and set it up to be as progressive as I can. I don't "huck" with it but I felt the stock settings were too soft too. I just pump the air up to it's max. I for some reason find 100psi not that much? I wonder why it's so low when that is sort of the "air assist" on the rear shock.

I'd find out from FOES what the max PSI you can run. I can't imagine bigger dudes running 100psi and being happy with it. Just seems wrong.

while i fully understand how to adjust compression and rebound for different riding styles. i am a little confused at the fact that a stable platform shock allows for a lighter spring rate to be used....

so, are you telling me that i should be able to get a progressive setup with the curnutt if adjusted properly?? this would be an ideal situation as i don't really want to fork over the money for a different shock (well, i wouldn't mind the avy).....

Spunger said:
............ I can't imagine bigger dudes running 100psi and being happy with it. Just seems wrong.
i am ~200lbs w/gear......... and the 100psi dosen't seem enough. the curnutt manual says 50-100psi. i always run it at 100psi but am concerned about blowing it on larger hucks....

i can't imagine dave watson had this problem....

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I had the same problem on my Fly with the Curnutt. I tried everything....air pressure, preload, heavier spring. But no matter what, anything over 10 feet I was greeted with a very loud "CLANK!" upon landing. No fun.

Then I PUSH'd the fox that came on my Fly cuz I wanted to keep the platform and get rid of the crappy slow speed feeling of the Curnutt. Not only did it give better feel at slow speed, but takes big hits like a champ! No more CLANK.

Anyway, I know this doesn't shed much light on the AVY vs. Curnutt situation, just wanted you to know that you're not the only guy bumming on the Curnutt big hit performance.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think that 100psi is weak. The progressive goes to 175 safely (though I've had it higher with no issues) but I keep it at 175. I weigh 240 with gear. I was just thinking how bad 100psi would be in my 5th. I'd bottom that sumbi$ch way too often, just on normal riding.

I can hear ya on not wanting to blow $$$ on another shock if you don't need to. I imagine that Curnutt shocks are funny with springs too (like you don't have 90 choices of spring weights).

I'd find out if it is ok to pump it up to 150psi. As expensive as the Curnutt is, one would think it'd hold some more air in it.

Dusty Bottoms said:
I had the same problem on my Fly with the Curnutt. I tried everything....air pressure, preload, heavier spring. But no matter what, anything over 10 feet I was greeted with a very loud "CLANK!" upon landing. No fun......................
this is exactly my problem. i am worried that one of these "CLANK"s is going to be my rear triangle flying in every direction....

i even went so far as to lower my seat so the shock can't bottom against itself. although it sound's like the bike is just farting along (hardcore seat buzz) but i'd rather destroy a seat than my shock..

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Is there a air volume adjust on a Curnutt?

If there isn't and you can't go above 100psi, then Foes blew it for a lot of riders. A smaller volume of air will give it more ramp and keep it from bottoming.

I can't help you on the Avy info.. I've had no need to think of other shocks since I got the 5th, its great!

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Spunger said:
I think that 100psi is weak. The progressive goes to 175 safely (though I've had it higher with no issues) but I keep it at 175. I'd find out if it is ok to pump it up to 150psi. As expensive as the Curnutt is, one would think it'd hold some more air in it.
The Curnutt doesn't need to go up to 175 psi. The shock has way more air volume than the 5th does, and the bottom control changes the size of the air chamber much more than the 5th does (both in hard numbers and in proportionate size). I'm surprised that you feel like the shock is too soft. Scott was running a 400 spring on his Mono last year and he weighs about 175. I wonder if maybe you got a spring that was wound funky and isn't actually what the rate is supposed to be. We had one guy on the team running a 450 last yeah and he was 195, he said he wished Foes would offer a 425 spring for the bike. Unless you're doing huge drops to flat, there's no reason why the 500 pound spring should be too soft. I'd give the boys at Foes a ring again and see what they have to say, they might have some helpful hints for you that aren't in the manual.

B

bighitfsr

As others have mentioned the Curnutt is a progressive shock.
In fact I remember posts on MTBR where Fly owners were complaining they couldnt get full travel from the curnutt as the combination of the flys progressive suspension design and the progressive curnutt shock made for suspension that was too progressive.

The Avalanche shocks are the bomb but they are very linear compared to 5ths, curnutts and swingers. The Avalanche has an anti bottoming feature but this only effects the very end of the stroke rather than ramping up the whole way through the stroke like the curnutt. On my bike a bighit with an avalanche drops are just too easy feels like landing on a water bed (bighits have a rising rate suspension design).

The foes mono has a very linear suspension rate so the Avy probably isnt a good choice for this reason. Craig mentions somewhere on the Avalanche site that the Avalanche works best on frames with rising rate suspension.

Sounds to me like the curnutt is either not working properly or needs to be adjusted. Take your bike into a foes dealer and get their advice.

If your hitting big drops to flat you should sell your foes and buy a trials bike :nope:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Here's my assessment.

1. You have a small frame and the small Foes Mono is really small. You weigh 200 lbs., so I would guess you are at least 5'10"? The Foes pivot is pretty far infront of the BB, so the more you lean back the more the bike is compressed. At your height (my guess) and weight (you listed) you are able to get a lot of weight way behind the rear wheel on that really small frame. Thus, you can drastically overload the rear of the bike. So, I think part of your problem is that you may be too big for the small Mono.

2. It sounds like your shock is due for a rebuild. If I remember right you have had it rebuilt once, but if you do a lot of drops this really stresses the damping shims. My guess is that the compression shims are worn out and need to be replaced. I would have this done before you potentially damage the shock.

Hope this helps.

SCARY

Not long enough
You might need to have the shock rebuilt.When I had the 02,normal wear and tear caused a leak in the air chamber seal.It cost like a $100.00.But again check with Foes.I can't believe you're finding the bottom on that bike.You guys don't realize you're treating a Ferrari F1 like a demolition derby car.I shed a tear.

go-ride.com said:
Here's my assessment.

1. You have a small frame and the small Foes Mono is really small. You weigh 200 lbs., so I would guess you are at least 5'10"? ..................... So, I think part of your problem is that you may be too big for the small Mono.

2. It sounds like your shock is due for a rebuild. ........
Hope this helps.
i am actually only 5'6", and i have a short 28" inseam, and this bike feels very big to me, bigger than previous dh bikes i have owned. 200lbs was a safe estimate, i am actually 180lbs but have gear and very often ride with a backpack..... but i must say i fully agree with you on the weight over of the the rear by really leaning back on larger stuff. but surely do not agree that this bike is any way too small for me. i am a shrimp.....

you are right, i did recently have it rebuilt, but there is no way that i have put any more stress than what would normally be expected of this bike to cause it to be in need of another rebuild quite so soon......

I think what SCARY was trying to say is your hucking and jumping a race bike, not a free ride bike. I don't think he was implying you abuse it.

I have a Currnutt/Mono and love it. I agree, the bike doesn't jump well at all. In fact it sticks to ground in almost any situation, which i love for a race bike, which is what it was designed to do. The bikes are tall, but the small has very short top tube. I think this is why others are calling the bike really small, But at 5'6", it probably fits you fine.

To reduce the bottoming, reduce the air VOLUME (red knob), don't adjust/increase air pressure. Reduced air pressure will make the suspension more active. I don't think you'll ever get the bike 'pop' off of jumps, but you should be able to keep it from bottoming.