Quantcast

@(~*)#Sunday#%&

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am hanging out with my parents at their Coos Bay house for a few days, followed by Cannon Beach then another week or so in Seattle. First vacation of the academic year for me, as other earlier trips were all for conferences.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The furniture repairman just told me the octagon table I purchased for 200 is possibly worth thousands. It was made by a guy in Providence Rhode Island in the early 1800's

Table.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Nah I want to keep it. The repairman said I should get it appraised for the Insurance man. That made me paranoid because he's a Hippy and knows where I live.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Between snow removal, post-surgery wife and effing work, I try to find time to build my new used frame.
The title of the "shithead mechanic of the month" goes to the genius who did this craptastic facing job on the rear brake mount. Whoever did this was either high, or drunk, or blind, or stupid, or fucking did not care.

Oh and the bike shop in Colorado that sold this to me of course found nothing wrong with the frame before they sent it to me.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Between snow removal, post-surgery wife and effing work, I try to find time to build my new used frame.
The title of the "shithead mechanic of the month" goes to the genius who did this craptastic facing job on the rear brake mount. Whoever did this was either high, or drunk, or blind, or stupid, or fucking did not care.

Oh and the bike shop in Colorado that sold this to me of course found nothing wrong with the frame before they sent it to me.
You need MOAR

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I need to face the crap out of that disaster than then come the shimz. My brake mount is gonna have moar shimz than my Monarch. :twitch:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
There are very specific instruction for facing a composite surface. If you are using the Park tool that uses the axle. Exactly follow those instructions. I took a little extra off and used the little convex/concave washers that came with a Formula brakeset to get it right. Go slow and write down the steps and cross them off upon completion. Go slow and remove small amounts off at a time. Check your work often. Ibis will be almost to helpful if you ask them and will insist that a dealer does the work to maintain the warranty. Trust nobody.....

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I don't have the facing rig so I have to take it to a LBS who happens to be an Ibis dealer. Those guys are top notch, hope they'll be able to salvage the triangle. I bought the frame used so no warranty for me. :( The brake mount has other issues as well - non-perpendicularly drilled mounting holes. If this is the shape in which it left Ibis warehouse, shame on them. I have seen some recent reports of quality issues of their newest HD3, it is disappointing to see $3k frames that should not have passed QA sent to customers.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

You don't say......

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't have the facing rig so I have to take it to a LBS who happens to be an Ibis dealer. Those guys are top notch, hope they'll be able to salvage the triangle. I bought the frame used so no warranty for me. :( The brake mount has other issues as well - non-perpendicularly drilled mounting holes. If this is the shape in which it left Ibis warehouse, shame on them. I have seen some recent reports of quality issues of their newest HD3, it is disappointing to see $3k frames that should not have passed QA sent to customers.

There is only one fix for that. Sorry. Have you checked to see if the integrity of the chips have been compromised. The forged chips would ovalize. The machined chips replaced the smooth forged ones or something like that. I am no expert to qualify. As with most DW designs you can get the pin parts out of order and effect the alignment. If that happened or the bolts unthreaded while riding a pin or bolt could be out of alignment or bent. Just a thought.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The linkage and geometry of the triangle looks fine, it is just the brake mount that is poorly machined, although I'd better check that as well.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I made the Sloppy Joes way to spicy. The kids don't like crusty bread? However they ate all the Carrots? Whatever...

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Never looked at the course map, next time bring one. It goes out and back, single track in the snow. I got lost costing me at least 8 mile of trail unsure about energy. My final call was when the trail ended with maybe an hour and half out toward the end. I was under the impression it was a loop, so when I got that news I made the street home. Sort of agro not sure what the track does when in unfam terf. Cray fun though, all for the 1/3 mile of walk junk the other rest was packed fast and snew. I stacked todays ride over the fixie ride in NYC yesterday, poor men always richen.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

The plot thickens. Obviously, ibis knew the swingarm was faulty but offered it to the orig. owner as a good will free replacement of a thrashed one that the owner choose over a $400 crash replacement. The shop now denies anything is wrong with it. Must be one of those yupee shops catering to rich Californians.