Quantcast

Strongest rim for 250 lbs rider and............

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
USE this: Planet X Goliath rims 32 holes
It's not 1946 anymore, or do they still sell them through On-One?
I had some Planet X hubs laced to a pair of Sun Mammoth's many many moons ago that was a strong set of wheels.

Not sure if it would be the same for carbon rims but I have used Syncros DS 28 and the 32 and the slightly lighter and narrower 28mm rim is quite a lot stronger than the 32mm one. The 32mm rim is taller and wider but they don't hold up very well at all, maybe the shallower rim allows it to distort temporarily on hard hits?

Not sure, I'm no engineer.

racelink

Chimp
Oct 9, 2010
Thank´s at all , the choice is Hadley hub , Alpine spokes , at this time Mavic 729 or Arrow DHX ????????? what you say?

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
So why is their DH rim the narrowest on the market?
I'm not certain if the molds used are the same or not, but the AM and the DH rims have the identical outer dimensions. They are indeed narrower internally so that the rim thickness, and thus strength, is greater.

I asked Jason Schiers about this a while ago, and he said that the DH rims were developed with input from the SC Syndicate guys. They evidently didn't mind a more narrow rim, and preferred the lighter weight. Think I would've gone wider & heavier myself...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Between the two rims you mentioned, if you are worried about strength, the DHXs may be better. 729s are great rims, but have been known to crack around the eyelets and things like that (but they still keep going for a long time from what I've seen).

Guess it's a bit moot now, but I agree with others- 823 and Doubletracks are insanely strong. I have had a pair of 819s (basically xc version of the 823) that are very old and have had a huge amount of all mountain riding, some slalom racing, cased jumps and other mishaps without any problems. I also used Mag30s for a while and, while noticeably heavy and a pain to mount tires on, they were indestructible. I bought MTXs thinking that since they were a similar shape and from the same manufacturer so they'd also do about as well, but I put some ridiculous dents in them.