Quantcast

Strongest rim for 250 lbs rider and............

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Money no object, the ENVE DH rim has got to be near the top of the list.

823 if money is an object

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I'm very close in weight, been on the same 823's for like 4 seasons. They're about to give up the ghost, but I never expected to get this much use out of a rim. I have cased some stupid things, and I'm also a hack at a reasonable clip, so they stand up to abuse.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Sun Doubletrack*. WAY stronger and wider than Mavic 823s. Too heavy for the masses to consider but for your mass they're perfect. I've got one laced with 36 spokes to a Hadley front hub and I think it could handle moto duty.

*Used to be called Intesnse Mag30

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Sun Doubletrack*. WAY stronger and wider than Mavic 823s. Too heavy for the masses to consider but for your mass they're perfect.
I've got one laced with 36 spokes to a Hadley front hub and I think it could handle moto duty.
i beat the ever loving sh!t out of mine for almost 3 years when i was around 220-230lbs and they were still good to go. never had a rim last as long as that on a DH bike

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Sun Doubletrack*. WAY stronger and wider than Mavic 823s. Too heavy for the masses to consider but for your mass they're perfect. I've got one laced with 36 spokes to a Hadley front hub and I think it could handle moto duty.

Mag 30 is a rebranded doubletrack in a blue grey finish; made by Sun - side by side, no 'usedta be'

I dont know that either is still in production, but plenty around. I have a DT on the back of my VPFree.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm 240# of man love.

Four seasons on the same 823's. Had them straightened a few times, but they keep on rolling like Oprah at a buffet.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
what about MTX33's? I have been rallying on the same set for about 3 years with truing here and there. no flat spots, a couple rim dings on back. built by a pro. I'm only about 170 but tag rocks and land sideways a lot and ride on the back wheel as much as possible. I have run 823's with so-so results(bad build by me) but the mtx's feel very solid and I'm not big on tubeless. does anyone run staggered rims, lighter front heavier back? I feel the MTX33 is way too strong a front rim for me and I could go to something lighter the next go around. the width and stiffness are great though.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I feel the MTX33 is way too strong a front rim for me and I could go to something lighter the next go around. the width and stiffness are great though.
I feel like the MTX33 is kind of the updated Doubletrack, great reputation and width but still kind of heavy. The problem with your staggered rim idea is that while you could probably get by with a lighter, less stiff rim in front you don't want to go narrower. The only rim I know that's as wide as your MTX33 and lighter is the Spank Spike. They are somewhat prone to big dents but I've only crushed them on the rear and always from hitting a rock way too hard given the pressure I was running.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what about MTX33's? I have been rallying on the same set for about 3 years with truing here and there. no flat spots, a couple rim dings on back. built by a pro. I'm only about 170 but tag rocks and land sideways a lot and ride on the back wheel as much as possible. I have run 823's with so-so results(bad build by me) but the mtx's feel very solid and I'm not big on tubeless. does anyone run staggered rims, lighter front heavier back? I feel the MTX33 is way too strong a front rim for me and I could go to something lighter the next go around. the width and stiffness are great though.
ive been using them for around 3-4 years also and do like them but they tend to dent a little too easy for my liking. with that said, all of mine are still going strong despite a ton of dents throughout the rims.

I meant Doubletracks.
yeah, i thought so

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
So glad that the Broken ENVE rim was posted up, because if one has broken then they all will, and not only will you die in the crash but your riding buddies will inhale bits of carbon and they'll die too.

Thanks. Good thing that no one has ever folded an 823 or a doubletrack, because that would make you look really silly wouldn't it.

Aug 23, 2011
So glad that the Broken ENVE rim was posted up, because if one has broken then they all will, and not only will you die in the crash but your riding buddies will inhale bits of carbon and they'll die too.

Thanks. Good thing that no one has ever folded an 823 or a doubletrack, because that would make you look really silly wouldn't it.
Oh Ok.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Not saying they didnt hold up for you, but i build my "mud wheels" on mtx 33 and i used them one weekend this year, for the gravity east race at snowshoe, they have 10 dents, from 8 runs. That said, none of the dents are bad, but i didnt exactly ride that race hard (suck at mud) and additionally, it wasnt rocky at all.

Moral of the story= not a fan

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Turns out I was quite drunk last night, that reply didn't sound like the bitch fest that it is whilst I was typing it.

But still, all parts break.

Aug 23, 2011
Turns out I was quite drunk last night, that reply didn't sound like the bitch fest that it is whilst I was typing it.

But still, all parts break.
Never said they didn't. Not sure where you got that from.

But still, not all rims cost $1000 a piece.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
Kinda lame the dh ones are narrower but I'm sure there's a structural reason.
i assume they are taking the AM main mold and using a different bead hook insert to create a narrower width bead hook area that will give the walls a little more thickness.
enve is just saving some tooling costs to get more ROI out of there tooling.

cause DHer's are not roadies. I cant afford that MSRP crap, i need to know shop guys so when they flip gear im all over it. :P

Last edited:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Enve builds all molds in house. The DH Mold is not the same as the All Mountain mold.
The machine shop is almost as big as the production floor.
VM