Quantcast

Strongest DH rims out there (650)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm not a light guy and I destroyed a pair of MTX's in half a season in 07. I've always loved the WTB Laserdisc DH rims. My original DH bike (IH SGS pro 03) had them and I never thought much about them. But after the MTX's I went right back to the Laserdisc DH and never looked back. They've handled me for 6 years through rock gardens and decent drops every Sunday with very little damage @35psi. Unfortunately WTB stopped making them. If I'm not worried about the weight of the rim, what would you recommend that won't dent frequently? I know 650's new, but I'm assuming if it's good in 26" and the company makes the same rim in 650 that it should hopefully be as good. Thanks for your time, EC

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Been running ztr flow exs, they won't last much longer. I have a set of light-bike on the way, I'm going to try them out when the flows die. I don't really have any good suggestions for rims unfortunately, they usually don't last long for me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Been running ztr flow exs, they won't last much longer. I have a set of light-bike on the way, I'm going to try them out when the flows die. I don't really have any good suggestions for rims unfortunately, they usually don't last long for me.
you guys can't seriously be recommending a carbon rim and the Flow EX to an admitted rim-smasher, for DH purposes are you?!

I haven't DHed in a while due to two children and bruised ribs, but there's plenty of recommendations on this here board for people who want sturdy rims for DH... MTX, Alex, Spank and Mavic are the usual suspects. Look up the wide DH rim thread, I think that's the most recent one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you guys can't seriously be recommending a carbon rim and the Flow EX to an admitted rim-smasher, for DH purposes are you?!

I haven't DHed in a while due to two children and bruised ribs, but there's plenty of recommendations on this here board for people who want sturdy rims for DH... MTX, Alex, Spank and Mavic are the usual suspects. Look up the wide DH rim thread, I think that's the most recent one.
the issue here is that OP is looking for 650b rimz

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the issue here is that OP is looking for 650b rimz
that's another thing that puzzled me... unless the OP is riding a bike that can accomodate both wheel sizes (which are few and far between - all I can think of are Transition [I think] and Banshee), most bikes wouldn't really be able to switch without compromising geometry, clearance and handling... But the OP doesn't make clear what bike, and for what type of riding the rimz r 4.

Maybe the OP is looking at a new bike in 650b, but wants to make sure there are adequate rimz to upgrade to when the time comes?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
You are correct sly. In 2011 I saw the Divinci Wilson at Whistler and up close at Coves shop in Vancouver and had that bike on my list ever since. It's looking like I'll be able to get a new ride next year and retire the Sunday. The Wilson isn't available in 26" anymore and like I said in the past- It's not my decision, but rather what they're giving us. Which in this case, I really don't mind. I'm looking forward to it. As always, I'll do my own build which will include building the wheels. The most important thing about the Wilson is that I won't have to throw the heaviest spring on it, but rather I can have some adjustment.

Ps. The Sun MTX rims to me were pure junk!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Any news on Mavic transfering any of their aftermarket rims to 650b? All I've seen so far are the complete wheelsets.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Yeah I'm definitely not recommending flows or carbonz. Just sharing my experience.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Ahhh, I was under the impression(for no real reason) that the Zelvy rims were made in Oz, I was wrong, stolen from Rotorburn-

Hey guys. Sorry I am not on farkin much these days.
I will start by saying they are not re-badged Xmi play (never heard of them ones!) Or light bike etc. I am not sure where these are made as understandably the factories like to keep their client's confidential. I can't vouch for their quality either way.
Each rim is made to our specification (carbon weight, grade and weave) in a reputable factory that manufacture for several other companies, including a popular European brand ;). In saying that I am sure those who have dealt with an Asian factory will know they will make whatever (quality) you want. And most of you probably realise this is how the bike industry works these days.

The rims carry a 2 year warranty with life time crash replacement. (See www.zelvycarbon.com for details).
As You probably know we sponsor kovarik racing. And they are loving the product. I can honestly say Karver has not had an issue. Actually, he flatted at mt joyce gravity enduro. And rode on the rim for the longest stage. He is still riding that rim. Claire smashed a rim after landing into a rock garden. She smashed rock so hard you could see the blast impact dust of the Rock on the side wall of the tyre. The rim didn't explode. Actually if it had a tube it would have still been rideable.
They both ran our 650b enduro rims at cairns world cup downhill with no issues. Claire placed 10th after 4 crashes on her race run. Chris was by far the fastest through the whoops and speed trap by almost 10kph at a crazy 75kph, before an off course moment and a bike full of mud ended his chances.

At the moment we are flat out shipping out rims and other products all over the world. So stock is low. Contact me at sales@zelvycarbon.com for info. Otherwise stay tuned to our Facebook page for details on new product and other developments. Cheers. Plow. I will try and stay tuned in to this thread and answer your questions.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
they don't post a profile of the rim bed on their website. I gather it is 29mm internal width and it has no bead hook. Does it have a bead "block" on the bead seat?