Quantcast

Stripping Spring coating

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have an Obtanium Ti spring that has a kind of bronze coating on it that is chipped in a few places and generally looks kind of shotty. I was going to strip it with aircraft remover but was wondering if this is a bad idea. It's Ti, so it shouldn't rust but will it make noise while compressing without the coating or cause any other potential issues that I'm not considering?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I have no clue, but I do know someone who may. The dude who runs www.ti-springs.com, Scout, is pretty good about answering emails, and I'm sure he would be a good resource. Not sure how responsive he'll be because you're not asking a business related question, but worth a shot methinks.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
i also have no clue, but am curious for answers

does the paint act as noise reduction? i don't think aircraft remover/ paint remover would affect titanium.. but with a spring? not sure

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have an Obtanium Ti spring that has a kind of bronze coating on it that is chipped in a few places and generally looks kind of shotty. I was going to strip it with aircraft remover but was wondering if this is a bad idea. It's Ti, so it shouldn't rust but will it make noise while compressing without the coating or cause any other potential issues that I'm not considering?
Fvck yeah it makes noise! BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING hahhaahhahahaaa!!!!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I soaked it in aircraft remover and scrubbed the debris off with steel wool. It came out nice and clean, no noise or issues at this point. We'll see if there is any long term excessive wear on the retaining cups. I had to refabricate the K9 industries adapters (for Obtanium spring to Cane Creek DB) after they cracked in the shock explosion (shaft sheared off of DB on my Demo).

The ones I made are made out of carbon fiber and seem to be working great. As I told Loonatic; I gotz aftermarket sh1t on my aftermarket sh1t now.