Quantcast

Storing tires?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Hey guys im about to re-do my garage aka "The Mancave" and I have tires... tons of tires! Right now they are stacked about 40 tall, not the best way. Its pretty hard to select a tire from the bottom or mid pack of the pile.

SO how do you guys store your tires? Do you hang them? or what? post pictures if you want!

heres my stack of tires right now.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Holy crap...

Don't they perish/go hard on you? I try not to store them for too long for that reason.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I ususally chuck the worn ones and take the half worn ones to the bike shop. Its one of those things I feel bad for throwing them away when theyre getting worn but I know I will just buy new tires when the time comes instead of keeping old ones. Different types of tires that are in good shape i just hang off the wall with universal storage hangers from the hardware store

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Utilizing the green filing cabinet (aka garbage can) for about half of those tires would keep you out of the Hoarding category. Home Depot sells some pretty cool T style hangers that can be hung from your ceiling for the other half.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
3 J-hooks into the 2x4s in the ceiling and a peice of PVC pipe. Slide the tires on and put it in the j-hooks.
Im down to 14 tires on it now but have had 30 this season on it and they hang perfectly.
PVC flexes and with 3 j-hooks if you need a tire to right of center hook just undo the right end up and out the PVC flexes and you can slide a few off and then hook it up again...

Not too mention use 1" and it will fit between spare wheelset spokes so you can hang wheelsets as well.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Hey guys im about to re-do my garage aka "The Mancave" and I have tires... tons of tires! Right now they are stacked about 40 tall, not the best way. Its pretty hard to select a tire from the bottom or mid pack of the pile.

SO how do you guys store your tires? Do you hang them? or what? post pictures if you want!

heres my stack of tires right now.

Do you have any wall space where you can bolt in straight hooks? Put a line of them in and just throw 4 or so tires on each one.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've got a friend that works in a moto shop that just happened to be throwing away some of their racks, he hooked me up with one of the double decker versions.

I have over 100 tires currently(road, bmx, mtb and what not) so I'm using the moto tire rack, the stacking method and then I have some j-hooks on the support beams in my garage with wood rods to hold the folding tires.

I will be building a new 18 bike dual level storage rack this summer, which will include a wood "keeper"(much like the idea of the moto rack/the car tire rack posted above) on each side of the rack as well as each level(total of 4 keepers) the DH tires. This should get all my cycling gear off the floor and easier to access.

I'll post pics when it's done.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I've got a friend that works in a moto shop that just happened to be throwing away some of their racks, he hooked me up with one of the double decker versions.

I have over 100 tires currently(road, bmx, mtb and what not) so I'm using the moto tire rack, the stacking method and then I have some j-hooks on the support beams in my garage with wood rods to hold the folding tires.

I will be building a new 18 bike dual level storage rack this summer, which will include a wood "keeper"(much like the idea of the moto rack/the car tire rack posted above) on each side of the rack as well as each level(total of 4 keepers) the DH tires. This should get all my cycling gear off the floor and easier to access.

I'll post pics when it's done.
sick! i need to make a big bike rack like that too! kinda pick which bike you wanna ride for that day.

2 Downhill rigs,
1 XC
1 Road
1 BMX race bike
1 24" cruiser
1 BMX flatland bike
1 lake bike (not pictured)
1 70s raleigh banana seat bike
1 moto mini

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
sick! i need to make a big bike rack like that too! kinda pick which bike you wanna ride for that day.

2 Downhill rigs,
1 XC
1 Road
1 BMX race bike
1 24" cruiser
1 BMX flatland bike
1 lake bike (not pictured)
1 70s raleigh banana seat bike
1 moto min
I have a 2 car garage with an extra 25 feet deep for a "work shop" area at my parents house. I watch their house for them as they travel 90% of the year. Both their cars are outside since I moved my shop into their garage. Feeling the need to get their cars back in the garage I came up with the idea for the bike rack after browsing the specialized catalog for bike storage systems.

As mentioned, I have over 100 tires, all the tools from when I owned a cycling repair shop, 2 work benches, drill presses, scroll saws, table saws , welders and other fun stuff in addition to too many bikes.

Niner EMD
Cannondale Chase
Arrow DSS
Foes ProLite XC
Foes Fly
Giant Faith
Giant Iguana(1 1/8"/1x9)
Giant Iguana(1"/SS)
Litespeed Catalyst
Trek 2300
Mountain Cycle Rumble
Premium Harrington
Sunday 2nd Wave
Plus a few old bmx frames/forks, Session10 frame and 6 or 7 wheelsets.

I plan on adding a DH race rig, a Trance or Reign and an Alliance Advanced this fall. Trying to pack that much stuff into a small space has been pretty tough to plan out while making everything accessible. I think that rack when built will be a huge part in getting organized.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have a 2 car garage with an extra 25 feet deep for a "work shop" area at my parents house. I watch their house for them as they travel 90% of the year. Both their cars are outside since I moved my shop into their garage. Feeling the need to get their cars back in the garage I came up with the idea for the bike rack after browsing the specialized catalog for bike storage systems.

As mentioned, I have over 100 tires, all the tools from when I owned a cycling repair shop, 2 work benches, drill presses, scroll saws, table saws , welders and other fun stuff in addition to too many bikes.

Niner EMD
Cannondale Chase
Arrow DSS
Foes ProLite XC
Foes Fly
Giant Faith
Giant Iguana(1 1/8"/1x9)
Giant Iguana(1"/SS)
Litespeed Catalyst
Trek 2300
Mountain Cycle Rumble
Premium Harrington
Sunday 2nd Wave
Plus a few old bmx frames/forks, Session10 frame and 6 or 7 wheelsets.

I plan on adding a DH race rig, a Trance or Reign and an Alliance Advanced this fall. Trying to pack that much stuff into a small space has been pretty tough to plan out while making everything accessible. I think that rack when built will be a huge part in getting organized.
I thought I had to many bikes, tires ,tools etc. Thanks to you guys I now feel like I need to buy more stuff

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Holy **** thats more DH tires than most bike shops have.

Seriously thats an assload of tires........ I have seven here, and one new one coming. Two are mounted on backup wheels, two are for Mud, three are waiting for the groms that are in need......

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a tire wall.
Cheap steel shelf brackets screwed to the wall holds 4-5 tires ea. I think I have 8 of them. Works decent as all the tires are visible and easy to access.

I probably have 50 tires in my basement right now.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
What's your plan for all those tyres, if I may ask? What do you actually plan to do with them? They all look the same size, meaning you have maybe 3 bikes in the quiver they actually fit. That's what, 6 sets of tyres per bike?

Seriously, you're about one step away from being featured on one of those programs where they wade into someone's house on shaky-cam and find them buried under a pile of empty cat-food tins and 25-year-old coupons for a supermarket that no longer exists. There's still time to save yourself from this fate. ;)

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
at my old house, I put up peg board on a wall of my shop and put hooks into that. Each would hold about 5 tires. I had them organized by model.

I just moved so I have them piled up in the basement now. I plan to build a horizontal rack like the race car tire example above.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Yo Denny, got any swampthings in that pile for me?
yea kid im sure i got something. swing by and help me pay for my hospital bills hahahaha.

farkinryan, some of the tires are from sponsorship/winning races last year. im not just gonna throw them out, i like to help out others with either free tires/stuff or cheap. so chill out dude, dont hate on my tire stack!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
yea kid im sure i got something. swing by and help me pay for my hospital bills hahahaha.

farkinryan, some of the tires are from sponsorship/winning races last year. im not just gonna throw them out, i like to help out others with either free tires/stuff or cheap. so chill out dude, dont hate on my tire stack!
Any chance you have an extra DHF 2.5 3C or 42a? I'll buy it off you at the open.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Anyone have any other tire storage ideas?

My workshop at the moment is primarily my office, and I already have 4 bikes in there, so the idea of hanging more tires on the wall isn't going to work. I'm thinking of a small tire rack, 1 level, maybe 3ft wide that I can cover up.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
When I was at MSA a few years ago to watch a WC, I seen a pile of tires that high on the back of the Maxxis team truck.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Anyone have any other tire storage ideas?

My workshop at the moment is primarily my office, and I already have 4 bikes in there, so the idea of hanging more tires on the wall isn't going to work. I'm thinking of a small tire rack, 1 level, maybe 3ft wide that I can cover up.
Just stack them like this:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I really thought this said "snorting tires" in the title.
Now, I think grinding them up and doing rails might be the most logical solution.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

Here (was) my stack.

Note the rack at the top of the back wall. That's how I stored them. Reachable, but out of the way above the workshop.