Quantcast

Steel or aluminum frame?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I am planning to build a freeride/dirt jump hardtail in the near future (as soon as my DHi sells), but I'm not sure if I want an aluminum or steel frame. What are the pros and cons of each? I weigh about 165 lbs, and I'm not really hard on frames.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Steel:
Pros: Stronger, cleaner looking b/c of less gusseting, will generally last longer under hard use due to material properties
Cons: Heavier

Aluminum:
Pros: Lighter
Cons: Only good for a limited time

I've heard that the softer ride quality generally associated with steel doesn't really apply to these kinds of HTs, as the material needed to make it strong enough cancels that out.

I'm sure others have better, more informed opinions.
I've never ridden a steel HT, riding a Planet X JFC (aluminum) right now, it's stiff as hell and depending on the situation, can be a good or bad thing. If you're light (relatively) and not hard on frames, you could probably get away with a 5lb AL frame as opposed to a 7-8lb steel frame.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
If the softer-ride factor doesn't apply to steel freeride hardtails, I guess I would choose aluminum because it's lighter, and it should still be strong enough for me. So to refine my question, for those of you who ride/have ridden steel frames, is the ride actually softer?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
all other factors mentioned above aside; i have owned 3 hardtail frames. 2 aluminum and one steel, both the aluminum ones are busted (one with a sheered headtube) the steel one (a 243 ;) has shown no hint of weakness). For street and hard core fr a steel bike (like the 243 ;) ) is perfect.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I used to have an oN-One Gimp, (cromoly), and it definitely rode soft. Flexed like a bitc.h in certain areas. Was a good ride though. I prefer aluminum :thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Get a good frame. Material is only one element of an overall design. There are sh1tty steel frames and good AL frames, and vice versa, and everything in between. There are flexy AL frames and stiff steel ones, etc etc etc.

I'd imagine some great builders and designers have their preferences, like some painters do watercolor and others do oil.

MD

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have owned both a steel and an alum. hardtail fr frame. the steel one was a surly instigator and the alum. one is a banshee morphine which i currently ride. all that i can say that the morphine i bet will never break(super beefy). the surly had a weird ride to it. you know how people said that steel ride better. well this is the only bike that i ever felt that on. i never felt that felling on anyother steel hardtail bike. but i love the banshee because it is ultra stiff and it lets you know that on a good why(perfect power transfer).

if i was to buy another fr hardtail it would most definitally be alum. but only a really beefy one.

that my take on it
dan