Quantcast

Star nuts???

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've been an Azonic Headlock user for quite some time, but it no longer fits in my new steerer. Does anyone DH experience using just a star nut with and integrated stem/upper crown? Will it hold? Thanks.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
yes, running a normal starnut with my risse champ/big daddy and integrated stem, havnt come across any problems what-so-ever.

the bolt goes through the top of the stem straight into the star nut, the stem is effectivly a topcap, dunno what its like with yours, but i seriously doubt there will be much problem, just make sure you keep the top crown steerer bolt tight and the star nut tight.

i just make sure its tight before i go out riding, been a bit paranoid ever since i got it, better safe than sorry.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Start nuts work les well with forks like the Boxxer. Its because of how tight the crowns fit.

What kind of fork do you have? I've had a Shiver?Integrated Marz stem/Woodman headlock setup for a while and it works very well.

What is the issue that you are having? I can't think of any reason why a headlock wouldn't work with an integrated stem. Then again, I just can't think.

Is your headlock too long? If so, the Woodman has a very wide range of adjustment.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
The issue I'm having (sorry, I've posted this before in another thread) is that the insertion part of bottom piece does not fit into the bottom of the steerer tube. This is on an '03 Monster T lower crown. The inside diameter of the steerer is too small to accept the bottom assembly. This is what has led to the question about star nuts and bagging the Headlock.

Mallet

Chimp
in the trees said:
The issue I'm having (sorry, I've posted this before in another thread) is that the insertion part of bottom piece does not fit into the bottom of the steerer tube. This is on an '03 Monster T lower crown. The inside diameter of the steerer is too small to accept the bottom assembly. This is what has led to the question about star nuts and bagging the Headlock.
I had the same prob with my Z-150. Supposedly, there is a smaller diameter "headlock" type system to fit Marzocchi steerer tubes, but I don't know who makes it. And for the record, star nutz work fine. I use one with the Dorado on my M-1.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I just ordered a woodman headlock system for my Nicolai...i think they're theonly one's who make a 1.5 headlock system but when I searched it out they offered many different types and sizes...you should take a look at their website.....starnuts are:dead:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What exactly is the problem with star nuts? Is it only a problem with direct mount stems and not enough clamping area on the upper crown without something extra holding it on? I've had star nuts as long as I've been riding threadless steerer tube forks and I've never had a single problem. It seems like the headlock thing would just blow up headset bearings that much more easily since you can get a lot more preload on the bearings accidentally than you could with a starnut.