Quantcast

Stans Experinece and Questions

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have installed Stans on my Mavic 321 and ran them once with mixed results. On the negative side I installed it with 1 ply Maxxis Highrollers and the side wall is to soft and I rips easily. I have no installed a 2 ply in the back and I managed to do it last night and it inflated without a problem with my hand pump. So now I can test it this weekend and feel the difference with the 2 ply. I have two questions:

1) The tires are leaking a little bit of black liquid but they don't seem to loose any air - has this happend to anybody else? Is it normal? Do I need to do anything about it?

2) Profo has given good feedback regarding tire pressure and recommends approx. 35 psi. Does anybody else have any experience with Highrollers, stans 321 setup? I ride mostly ride Mt. Creek with is very rocky both big rock and small loose rocks.

Thanks.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't run Highrollers, but I run about 28psi in my Michelins. Little more if I'm going for a street ride.

As for leaking a little black liquid.. That's weird. Only thing you could try is inflate 'em to a higher pressure to make sure the bead set right and take 'em for a little ride. See if its still doing it.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
what I find works best...try to mount you're tire a day you're not riding or late in the day so you can over inflate the tires and let them sit over night. This appears to creates a good seal at the bead.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
CBJ said:
1) The tires are leaking a little bit of black liquid but they don't seem to loose any air - has this happend to anybody else? Is it normal? Do I need to do anything about it?

2) Profo has given good feedback regarding tire pressure and recommends approx. 35 psi. Does anybody else have any experience with Highrollers, stans 321 setup? I ride mostly ride Mt. Creek with is very rocky both big rock and small loose rocks.

Thanks.
1) never seen BLACK liquid coming out - Stan's is white so I don't know what that is - if you aren't losing air pressure - I'd call it ok

2) I've run Stan's with 2ply Highrollers and Rhyno-lites with great success - I usually inflate all my tires to around 30-32 - a tad higher for dirt jumping & urban -

a couple of observations:

for the initial instal of any tire with Stan's you should make up a bowl of soapy water and with a sponge or rag wet the entire edge of the tire (both sides) with the soapy water (this helps the bead form) - also, best to use CO2 or compressed air for the initial install & inflate to about 60psi - do a bunch of spining of the tire and also shake side to side and flip over as you spin - this coats the surfaces evenly with Stan's goo - either ride the bike around immediately or leave it at 60 psi overnight - remember to deflate to 32-35 before riding!

single-ply tires DO work with Stan's - they just seem to give you more problems - I don't recommend single-plys for freeriding/DH (or tough trails with lots of rocks to slice & dice) - too easy to slice open a sidewall - if you DO slice open a sidewall, a bead of Superglue will often close it up enough for the Stan's to make a closure

-also, with single-plys I've noticed you need to keep an eye on the tire pressure more carefully - let it drop too much before a ride (I check and pump up a little before each ride) - and you'll fold the bead and be laying in the dirt asking "wha happened?"

I use single-ply Maxxis Minion DH 2.35's on my XCE for cross country/all mountain riding and the same tires on my dirt jump bike - both with Stan's - can case a big double and the Stan's seems to hold just fine as long as the psi is up around 35...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have done that the are both inflated with high pressure and the front has been installed since Saturday. This could just be like that Jesus picture that cries so I'm running the Holy Highrollers.

Macrider thanks for the good feedback. An easy source of soapy water is Windex or similar and the spary makes it easy to apply it.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
What's the minimum pressure you can run with this before you risk rolling the tyre off the rim, or get excessive tyre roll (sideways) or whatever?

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
thaflyinfatman said:
What's the minimum pressure you can run with this before you risk rolling the tyre off the rim, or get excessive tyre roll (sideways) or whatever?
It'll depend on the tyre/rim combo, and how much you weigh.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When changing my tires, I try to pop the tire off the rim by hand once I get the pressure down around 5-10 psi and when I run the Stan's liquid I have a he11 of a time getting it to unseat. I am always amazed at how well it holds.

Just to back up the positives of tubeless, I've switched back to tubes to save my tubeless tires that I can't replace and I HATE it. I tried to inflate regular DH tires, but couldn't beacuse I have a huge ding in one rim. So I put a DH tube in the rear and a XC tube in the front and the rear tire has no compliance. The sidewall is so stiff even at 25psi. Since the DHR is avaiable in UST I'm going to start running that tire tubeless all the time, beacause its better that any other tire run with a tube in my opinion.