Quantcast

Stans & 521

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I want to buy some Stans and use them on my 521 w/ pair of Nok. 2.3 Gaz DHs.

Will it work ?

Worth hassle and $ ?

Easy to switch back if it doesn't work out ?

Other Stans recommendations ? Different tires... ?

Tanks !

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
Do a search man, been discussed at length here...

short version: tell stan you're using 521s, he optimized a rimstrip specifically for that rim...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ya there is a special strip for 521's, you have to ask for it.

I'm using 521's with Stan's on my 5-Spot and it's great. But I tried mounting a non UST tire (Conti Vert Pro) on the other day and was NOT able to inflate it even with an air compressor. But all my UST tires mounted without a glitch.

I also run Stan’s and 521 on the rear of my DHR…also problem free so far, but keep in mind that I mostly use UST tires (Michelin)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I thought all Michi's were UST compatible? What is the white film substance on the inside of the tire casing for then if not to seal air? My Wildgripper 2.5's held air on UST rims w/o Stans sealant for many days and with Stans they hold air as well as a tube does.

Has anyone had experiences with Maxxis UST tires and Stan's and 521's?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
punkassean said:
I thought all Michi's were UST compatible? What is the white film substance on the inside of the tire casing for then if not to seal air? My Wildgripper 2.5's held air on UST rims w/o Stans sealant for many days and with Stans they hold air as well as a tube does.

Has anyone had experiences with Maxxis UST tires and Stan's and 521's?

I tried several non-UST tires on my 521s with Stans and none worked, couldn't even air them up with a compressor, lots of sealant and ratchet strapping around the center of the tire to force bead contact. Here's my list of failed attempts:

Michelin 24.1 Lite 2.2 - and I too thought all Michy tires were UST
Maxxis Minion 2.5 rear SRy - not even close
WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Race
WTB Motoraptor 2.4 foldable

I finally gave up and bought a Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 like Luc but I got the UST version, aired up without any fiddling or strapping and without sealant. Put this on the front.

I put a Hutchinson UST Scorpion on the rear and the same deal, no problema!

The non-DH UST tires I've found to be the easiest of all so far. I have Mich. Comp 16 2.5 tires on my DH bike on 823 rims and one was OK the other a pain due to the fact that the were shipped folded up which left creases in the bead. Had to run the compressor with tons of sealant and the entire tire ratchet strapped on center to get it to inflate and then next day it was flat. Aired it up again and no problems since.

With all the stories I'm hearing about the 823 rim I'm starting to regret not getting 321s with Stans for my bike this year. My wife has a 321 with stans and it's one solid wheel and hasn't leaked an ounce of air in two months now.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
24.1 lights worked fine for me with stans and 521s. I removed the valve core and gave 'em a quick shot of compressed air and up they went. That was about 2 months ago and they are still holding air like a champ!