Quantcast

Stanchion scratch, when to worry

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I picked up an older 888 as I'm on a budget and I want a 8" fork that works. It came with a small stanchion scratch on the compression side, and it leaks pretty badly from that seal when compressed. I picked up some JB weld to do the fix, but when I look at the scratch, it's so minor that I wonder if it's worth the effort. There are no burrs and it's maybe 0.5mm deep. I can feel it with my finger nail but that's about it. I know the 888 is an open bath fork, so that might make it prone to leaking more (or make leaking more of a concern) but I'm more worried in my ability to fix it right (ie make it larger/raised) compared to just leaving it. The fork could use new seals and wipers anyways, but I don't know if it's just old or chewed up from the scratch.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
not on topic, but somewhat related, a normal human is able to feel a difference of 1/10mm in elevation at his fingertips on a plane surface.

will it leak?
i don't know.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
sounds like its the seals/wiper that need a change.

Ive had some fairly deep scratches in my inners a few times, and no leaks ever, unless there was a burr grinding and cutting up the seals. as long as its fairly smooth when you run your finger over it, it should be good.

THe forks ive had these scratches in have been both the new dorado, and older (2008/9) 888 RC3.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, there's no burrs but there's the slightest indentation. I imagine it would pick up oil and "let it out" as it cycles through, but I can't really see it chewing up the seal, since it's relatively insignificant. Hmmm...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
What year fork is it? If its the 08-current design, make sure the bad stantion is on the spring side, and its much less of an issue.

Some kind of epoxy, not JB weld, not nail polish (it will fall off/out unless it has something to really 'grab')

also, how high up the stantion is the nick?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, I think something is wrong with the seal in general since it weeps from every side, not just where the scratch is.

It's an 05 RC, and it's 2 inches above the seal on the compression side.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
you'll be fine. Marzo uses bitching seals. based on what you've described, its probably ~99.7% cosmetic, and .3% functional. You will probably have to deal with replacing the seals in ~10 years, because once they get hard with old age it'll be a problem.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On that note, are they that much better than enduros, which are $10 cheaper?

the scratches in question

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
As long as the edges are deburred/leveled, they will only carry oil out/dirt in, and shouldnt abuse the seals and wipers.

filling it will keep the oil cleaner, but isnt absolutely nec. Esp on an MZ, just change the oil 2x a year instead of 1x.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
yes, they are that much better. enduros are just cheap catalog seals. They're nothing special. marzo seals are really nice. Its worth 10 bucks.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Fill with some nail polish and use some 1200-2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. I've done it myself and it's really easy. No excuse why you shouldn't do it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yes, they are that much better. enduros are just cheap catalog seals. They're nothing special. marzo seals are really nice. Its worth 10 bucks.
Thank you. Will do.

I'm going to use the jb weld I bought and try it. It's not worth not doing, I think. I hear 2000 grit wet sandpaper will take down the weld but not the stanchion....will post results?

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
I used a scotchbrite pad with a half moon file on the back side. It took down the rough edges but didn't damage the stanchion. I was going to use fingernail polish to fill it in but it wasnt deep enough. So I just used a black marker to blend it in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nail polish lasts a day or two of riding, that's about it. Sand down the burrs, usually there's no problem, a deep gouge can benefit from JBweld or some kind of epoxy, then it's a game of fine grit nail-sanders (get at local supermarket).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whelp, it turns out this stupid thing is a 170 and not a 200mm 888. It's either going back or getting sold off to W00dy. I was going to give it a go and take some photos, but i'd rather have my money back to spend on other frivolous crap.