Quantcast

SRS+/new Saint compatibility

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I am looking at running an SRS+ on my new bike. It is a Sinister F-Bomb and I'll be using new style Saint crank arms and BB with an e13 guidering. I have heard elsewhere that there may be some issues with the Saint/ SRS+ combo, but I am not yet certain if that has more to do with the Saint ring/bash combo than the arms themselves.

I just want to know if this will work or not. Input appreciated!

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I am looking at running an SRS+ on my new bike. It is a Sinister F-Bomb and I'll be using new style Saint crank arms and BB with an e13 guidering. I have heard elsewhere that there may be some issues with the Saint/ SRS+ combo, but I am not yet certain if that has more to do with the Saint ring/bash combo than the arms themselves.

I just want to know if this will work or not. Input appreciated!
Hi!
The 09 "New" Saint cranks have extra thick chainring tabs (for strength). When set up with a traditional bash and chainring, there is an extra 1 to 1.5mm gap between the edge of the ring and bashguard. This allows just enough space for the chain to wedge itself in the gap.

For this reason, we recommend to our pro athletes to run the LG1+ when using these cranks.

I should also note that the Saint chainring and Saint stock Bashguard both have a large 2mm step and 2mm indent to specifically work around the larger tabs. There simply isn't enough material in the Turbocharger design to allow for a 2mm indent in the bashguard.

Cheers,
philipw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hi!
The 09 "New" Saint cranks have extra thick chainring tabs (for strength). When set up with a traditional bash and chainring, there is an extra 1 to 1.5mm gap between the edge of the ring and bashguard. This allows just enough space for the chain to wedge itself in the gap.

For this reason, we recommend to our pro athletes to run the LG1+ when using these cranks.

I should also note that the Saint chainring and Saint stock Bashguard both have a large 2mm step and 2mm indent to specifically work around the larger tabs. There simply isn't enough material in the Turbocharger design to allow for a 2mm indent in the bashguard.

Cheers,
philipw
I'd like to add that ANY bashguard that does not have a step COULD have a chain jam issue. This includes any bashguard that does not have a step, so not just e*thirteen guards, ANY non-stepped guard with any bashguard type chainguide could have an issue.

Now, to us, anything less than 100% success is unacceptable, but in acutality, many riders including Thomas Vanderham have been running SRS+ / Turbochargers on Saint for quite a while without issue, so it can be done. (actually Vanderham was a prototype tester for e13 and Shimano, so longer than anyone really)

Like anything, it's up to the rider. Our stance is that the system *MIGHT* mot be 100% because of the extra bashguard spacing, so we don't let our top athletes run this combination just in case. If you are just screwing around, then it might not matter as much to you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks. What do you recommend for hack athletes running these cranks? LG1 still?
I am far from pro, and have had little to no problems with my lg1+ and saint cranks. I got a blackspire ring, and it's been smooth sailing once it was set up right. The instructions could be a little better, I haven't done rhebuses and picture books since 2nd grade, but I have never had to use one before.

Also, I'm running the max tooth ring on mine, one a bike with a low BB, and I ride on the supposedly more rocky east coast, and I'm still good.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I am far from pro, and have had little to no problems with my lg1+ and saint cranks. I got a blackspire ring, and it's been smooth sailing once it was set up right. The instructions could be a little better, I haven't done rhebuses and picture books since 2nd grade, but I have never had to use one before.

Also, I'm running the max tooth ring on mine, one a bike with a low BB, and I ride on the supposedly more rocky east coast, and I'm still good.
Yeah, LG1+ runs perfect on the Saint systems. Just space the guide so that the lower idler is in line with the teeth on the chainring, make sure the window in the top slider is behind 12 O clock, and you are ready to rock!

I'm just going to post quickly on this subject, so apologies for grave digging, so to speak.

After frantic emails to Philip (massive props for best CS around) we came to the conclusion I should give the SRS+ / Saint combo a go, and if **** hit the fan, I'd get some help.

After about a month of this set up, riding Chris Kovarik's own training track (picture rocks on top of rocks, with a surround of rocky goodness) the combo has not let me down once.

It has been flawless; quiet, easy to maintain, clears mud very well, and most of all, has not dropped a chain once. I'm using it in conjunction with a 38t e*thirteen guide ring, and together, the threesome seems unstoppable.

Another win for e*thirteen!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A friend of mine was running the new Saint cranks/SRS/Turbocharger on his M6. This winter his chain jammed in the gap mid race run, taking him out of the race. If you are racing it isn't worth it, run an LG1.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What would y'all recommend if I'm thinking about picking up some M810 cranks for my DH bike that doesn't have ISCG tabs, so I have to run an adapter? Taco style guide seems less than ideal here, since I'd be worried about guide hits rotating it.

Currently running an OG SRS on Saint M800 cranks, just looking to lose some weight.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
What would y'all recommend if I'm thinking about picking up some M810 cranks for my DH bike that doesn't have ISCG tabs, so I have to run an adapter? Taco style guide seems less than ideal here, since I'd be worried about guide hits rotating it.

Currently running an OG SRS on Saint M800 cranks, just looking to lose some weight.
The stock Saint DH ring was changed up for 2011 so that it eliminates the chainring step (the old one used a 2mm step, at least). The new ring design works perfectly with an SRS+ or any similar full-bash setup, but I don't know if it is coming stock with new cranksets.

Old on Left, New on Right.

Attachments

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Gravedigging here, but from the pic with the 2 Saint chainrings provided in the previous post, should I deduce that running an E13 guidering would provide the same result than the 'new' Saint chainrings?