Quantcast

SRS guide frustration

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but the top plastic slider piece on my guide always develops a crack directly on top of the front screw hole (with the crack running parallel to the screw). I dunno if it's from me over-tightening the bolts (which I'm pretty careful not to do), or if it's just a weak piece of plastic that's prone to cracking. This is the 2nd time it's happened to me, and it's really a pain in the ass. The crack isn't so bad that the top slider falls off, but it makes me wonder how securely it's being held on. Anybody else had this problem?

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
dexterq20 said:
I dunno if anyone else has had this problem, but the top plastic slider piece on my guide always develops a crack directly on top of the front screw hole (with the crack running parallel to the screw). I dunno if it's from me over-tightening the bolts (which I'm pretty careful not to do), or if it's just a weak piece of plastic that's prone to cracking. This is the 2nd time it's happened to me, and it's really a pain in the ass. The crack isn't so bad that the top slider falls off, but it makes me wonder how securely it's being held on. Anybody else had this problem?
Never had that problem when I installed mine.... looks like you overtightened it. What I did was I tightened the allen wrench shaft with my fingers - not tighten with leverage by the allen wrench (e.g., the "L" shaped wrench). It worked for me and has never slipped or came loose.

I'd give the e.13 fellas a call... they are cool. They could help you out by sending you another plastic tray. Their site is www.e13components.com

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sounds like the top plastic bit is contacting the chain too much.

its not supposed to bear any force and force is the only way to crack it.

maybe you could take the spring off your bike and see what happens when you cycle the suspension in different gears, perhaps you will find that in certain (bigger cogs most likely) gear combos, your chain puts stress on the slider, thats not good because the chain will always win.

you dont need the slider to touch the chain other than when its skipping, remember that.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
dexterq20 said:
It only needs to be tight enough so the plastic won't move, you probably over tightened it a little. Also do you have an older guide? The latest and greatest hardware is a little different and will probably address this.

It will probably work just fine for quite a while like that though. If your going to be at any events where the truck is, stop by the booth and we'll get you some new plastic's and hardware if necessary. Otherwise give the guys back at the office a call.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
ssaddict said:
It only needs to be tight enough so the plastic won't move, you probably over tightened it a little. Also do you have an older guide? The latest and greatest hardware is a little different and will probably address this.
Yup, my guide is from circa 2002, so maybe that's what's happening. I actually just rode with it this morning and had no problems. Looks like it'll be fine for a while. Next time I'll just have to be extra careful not to tighten the bolts too much.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A new parts tree is cheap, ride it with the crack until you roller cracks (likely with the older guides) and get a new tree.

I had a crack in mine for most of a year and never had a problem, it does sound like you overtightened though Ben. No big whoop.

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
Dex-
The older flat head cap screws we used to use on the top slider tended to have this problem if over-torqued. We have since modified the design to accommodate regular cap screws (squared off). This has helped solve the issue. You can order a new plastics kit online at www.evilbikes.com It'll include the new hardware. It's good to hear that your '02 guide is still serv'in it up. If you ever run into any issues please feel free to get in touch with us directly. Thanks.