Quantcast

SRAM X9 problem

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Anyone got a junked x9 derailluer that they can help me out with? The screw on the back of my derailuer, that controls how far out the pulleys sit from the cog, either fell out or got knocked out. Now the deraileur sits right on my frame and I can't shift into my three highest gears. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
maybe contact sram and try to buy a new one. if you cant i have one of those screws from a shimano derailer i could send you if you want. dont know if it would fit though. for the cost of a stamp you can have it

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
DHracer1067 said:
maybe contact sram and try to buy a new one. if you cant i have one of those screws from a shimano derailer i could send you if you want. dont know if it would fit though. for the cost of a stamp you can have it

Well the funny thing is that on the deraileur, where the screw is supposed to go...looks like there are no threads for it to screw into. I have a XO derailleur and I tried to swap out its screw but the actual hole that it goes into is bigger than the screw...which means I lost something else in addition to the screw.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
on sram derailleurs doesn't that screw go against a plate, and that plate is what sits on the der. hanger tab? as opposed to shimano ones where the screw moves against the tab
i say bring it to a hardware store. they usually have a pretty large assortment of bolts, nuts, and screws

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Call Sram, I'm sure they would be pleased to send you a new Der. I was talking to a friend of mine from Sram the other day, and he sounded kind of bored, as the x-series stuff barely breaks anymore...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Did this happen when you bagged out on us at Big Bear yesterday?

I have one of those screws from an older style SRAM derailleur...I'll see if it fits my X9 tonight. If it does, you can have it.

MD

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I had the same thing happen a while back. There is this cheesy little plastic grommet holding the b-bolt in. I tapped the hole for the grommet with threads and put a machine screw in there. Works like a charm...

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
It seems like this can happen a lot, but there is an easy fix for it. Just go to a hardware store and get a m4 bolt thats about 25mm long and get 2 m4 nuts. Thread 1 nut onto the bolt, then put the bolt through the hole in the derailleur and thread the other nut on. Adjust it to where you want the cage to sit then tighten the nuts against the cage and it wont be moving or coming loose.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
As someone else stated, the XO and the X9 are different. On the XO, the screw threads in directly into the derailuer. On the X9, it screws into a plastic piece.

One of my team mates somehow lost the screw and plastic part. I stole the one of my back up derailuer to help her out. The plan was to get a replacement at Snowshoe. Well, I destroyed a derailuer (hitting a rock at 25mph) so I just took it off that derailuer.

Either call Sram or find someone that has trashed a X9. I keep all trashed derailuers and peice them back together with the parts. Sort of like an auto junk yard.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My X7 did the same thing. The screw just backed all the way out til the der hit the cogs. I superglued it in place! ehehhehe!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I had the same problem after a crash. The plastic grommet got stripped. The hole is just the right size for a 6mm tap. Run the tap thru and put some loctite on a 6mm cap screw. Eliminates having top use a tiny allen wrench too.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
SuspectDevice said:
Call Sram, I'm sure they would be pleased to send you a new Der. I was talking to a friend of mine from Sram the other day, and he sounded kind of bored, as the x-series stuff barely breaks anymore...
Sarcasm? I've broken two x9s in 3 rides, seen another 2 also shat themselves very easily... definitely not buying another one until they redesign them. Weak as hell.