Quantcast
  1. The Ridemonkey Secret Santa has begun
    To participate, make sure you send your email by Friday, November 28th.
    Go here for details and to learn how to participate.

SRAM Quick-Disconnect Chain Link?

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by Old_Dude, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Old_Dude New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    I've been using a SRAM chain for well over a year now and it's fantastic . . . the quick-disconnect link allows me to remove the chain quickly . . . now, I can quickly remove the chain, clean it thoroughly, lube it and toss it back on the bike in no time . . . I've never had any problems whatsoever with the SRAM chains and my drivetrain is staying much cleaner than it ever has been before . . .

. . . so . . .

. . . I have a new bike that came with a Shimano 9 speed chain . . . and I have a new, unused 8 speed SRAM chain in my basement . . .
    • can I use the SRAM 8 speed chain disconnect link on my Shimano 9 speed chain
    • do I have to go buy a 9 speed disconnect link to use instead
    • should I just buy another SRAM 9 speed chain for my new bike?

Thanks,

OD
  2. WillRidesRigid New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 9 speed was smaller than 8 speed. Then again I'm in 7 speed land(geez even thats advanced for me, im used to 21 speed road and 18 speed mtb)but at least i dont have to deal with grip shift or rapidfire.. uhh oh here comes the shifter rant...

P.S. downtube shifters RULE on the road
  3. -dustin boring

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    i have heard some say they use a Powerlink with Shimano chains...SRAM says it's a no-no, but eh, what would you expect.

personally, i'd go buy a PC99 'cause i love this chain.
  4. sub6 New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    You definitely have to get a 9sp Powerlink at the very least.

Personally I'd just get a new SRAM chain but if you wanna use up the Shimano I guess that's cool too....

You aren't "supposed" to put a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain but I've heard from a lot of people who do it.
  5. Old_Dude New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Yeah . . . I'll just get a chain . . . I hate to spend anutha 20 bucks tho . . .

. . . no . . . I'm beyond cheap . . .
  6. Matt D New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    you NEED to get another chain, 8spd chains don't work with 9sp drivetrains.
  7. fonseca New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    He doesn't have an 8 speed chain though, only an 8 speed powerlink, which won't work with 9 speed chains.

9 speed (gold) powerlinks work perfectly with 9 speed Shimano chains. I run them together on one of my bikes, and ran 8 speed powerlinks and Shimano chains together for years before I finally realized how much better Sram chains are. I have broken at least a dozen Shimano chains, but never once have I broken the powerlink that was on them, or any of the links immediately on each side of the powerlink.

Powerlinks usually go for $4 or so, so you might save more money in the long run if you can find a 9 speed Sram chain on sale. I bought several pc-59s from Nashbar for $12 each a few months back.
  8. Old_Dude New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Thanks . . . I really didn't think the 8 speed powerlink would work but then you don't really know until you ask . . . right?

Happy cycling,

OD
  9. skinny New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    If you actually look at the size of each chain, the 8spd chain is 3/32" where 9spd chains are supposedly 11/128" (according to the box housing a SRAM 9spd chain). Now, 1/128" shouldn't make a huge difference, am I right?

Go for it dude, it shouldn't make a huge difference.
  10. Enduro New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    SRAM powerlink works on Shimano chains. The powerlink comes in two versions: 8spd silver and 9spd gold. So get the silver one, it'll only cost you about 4 bucks.
  11. Rik New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Shimano chains are the devil, save yourself headaches and just run a SRAM chain from the start.
  12. huckleberry New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    i don't know what everyone else said becouse i didn't read but 8 speed chains are wee bit wider than 9 speed so the link may not stay on as there would be just a bit of play between the link and the chain. you'd probably have a tough time with the wider link catching the larger cog too. that would be a pain in the arse. i'm sure you LBS will give you a 9spd link. it will work with a shimano, that's what i'm using works fine. i've never had a chain last a year though, specially a shimano. there good for a month before they snap.