Quantcast

spilled a beer on my laptop keyboard - am I fuxxored?

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
There was a box of kleenex right there (yeah I know where that's gonna go....) and I got to it pretty quick, but when I logged on the typing was all goofy. Have you ever tried to open up a laptop? Apparently it's impossible.

I heard once that if you drop your phone in water, you should put it in a bowl of rice. Then at night tiny little Asian people will be attracted to the rice and fix your phone.

So let's take predictions - will it work normal when it dries out, or is it cooked?

(yes, I had more beer)

(yes it was a craft beer - imperial IPA)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Some laptops are actually designed to allow a little spillage onto the keyboard. I would first stick the thing in front of a fan, dry that sucker out.

If it works, you'll have a new definition for sticky keys . Majority of laptops can definitely be taken apart, but you might end up tossing it out the nearest window if you try. Google it, I bet there are instructions.

I would bet 16 cents that it turns on after it has dried out. 3 cents that the keys don't work. 25 cents that most of the keys work, but the spacebar is stuck in a never ending circle of stuck.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Couple M80's. Make some paperclip stands so that you don't blow up the keys. The rushing air from the explosion quickly blows the beer away. Go wake up the kids, they'll want to watch and its good for them to learn. Your welcome....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Err craft beer, it will automatically make all your text ironic from now on.

My manual says to turn it upside down and shake it, try that.
My last one just had two screws under a dress panel and came off in a couple of minutes, maybe yours is similar?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I nearly did the same thing the other day....I swear the bottle was at a 30 deg angle over the keyboard when I caught it...

I am a ninja
So your Laptop is fine. And his is ruined. Imagine how he feels? Just remember you're not Westy. Only he can get away with being a total asshole here... Do you even know what a Ninja is? Have you ever seen a Ninja in Leather Pants? Hell no....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Before you put more water on it try to find some instructions on how to rip it apart. It will only come apart in two ways but one of them won't let you put it back together again so be careful.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
fwiw i spilled a shit ton of coke on my laptop....lasted about 4 years.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Clearly it is Mmikes fault. And then he callously rubbed it in for good measure. Something needs to be done about Him/ Her/ whatever.....