Quantcast

Specialized Enduro Linkage Bolts

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I have a 2003 Specialized Enduro, and the bolt that hold the link on is a very soft aluminum. It just strips out when I try to take it out (I want to flip the link). Do any companies make a steel bolt, or just a replacement bolt? Thanks.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Specialized actually makes stainless Steel bolts for it. They sell them stock on the Enduro SX. I have an extra set if you would like them.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Are the bolts really aluminum? The upper shock bolt on my enduro was really, really bent when I took it out to check it. I used two vice-grips to straighten it out, but I haven't ridden on it yet because I think it might break. Does specialized have tougher replacement bolts?

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
stgil888 said:
Are the bolts really aluminum? The upper shock bolt on my enduro was really, really bent when I took it out to check it. I used two vice-grips to straighten it out, but I haven't ridden on it yet because I think it might break. Does specialized have tougher replacement bolts?

he's talking about the linkage bolts, not the shock mount bolts.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
RD-

How much do you want for the set of stainless bolts? I hear that they are really expensive. I would be willing to pay about 25 bucks + shipping for them. Thanks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Those Enduro bolts are easy to strip but if you try different brands of Allen wrenches you will find some fit better than others. The Steel SX bolts are stronger but a lot heavier. I would try to stick with alloy and just lube them for easy removal. If I had an SX, I would put the alloy bolts in it and an air shock...strength where it's needed.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I don't really care about weight- my bike is set up for DH w/ a chainguide, a Marzocchi DJ I, and lots of heavy parts. Do I get those bolts at a Specialized dealer? Can you get 'em online?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Dealer is your best bet...

Enduro's aren't meant for DH so I can guarantee that you will crack your frame eventually (I cracked my Enduro twice in a year of riding XC/DH/etc.) You should get an SX if at all possible. At least you are not running a DC fork (not approved for Enduro) and a Risse extra travel link (warranty voider) like I have seen some people doing.

hucker13 said:
I don't really care about weight- my bike is set up for DH w/ a chainguide, a Marzocchi DJ I, and lots of heavy parts. Do I get those bolts at a Specialized dealer? Can you get 'em online?
i broke my headtube off in less than 4 months djing on it and special-ed said no dice on a warranty.....

you will break it if you ride it aggressive....

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Standard bolts have too large of a head for the main pivot bolts on the enduro. He will most likely need the proper bolts from specialized...

hucker13 said:
I probably won't break it- I only weigh 100 lbs. with all my gear
i know of several ~100 lbs peeps who have also broke theirs......

your headtube will ovalize (it is VERY thin) and/or your shock mount plates will rid themselves of that fancy frame they are attached to......

not trying to be a naysayer. but these are KNOWN issues with the enduro...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I thought that the only difference between the SX and the regular enduro was the support that runs vertical by the shock... guess I was wrong (so that's why they're so expensive).

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
WestCoastHucker said:
i know of several ~100 lbs peeps who have also broke theirs......

your headtube will ovalize (it is VERY thin) and/or your shock mount plates will rid themselves of that fancy frame they are attached to......

not trying to be a naysayer. but these are KNOWN issues with the enduro...

Yep, I am about 130 and I ovalized mine. I didn't even do that much big stuff either. Specialized decided not to help me out.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
not to mention that the SX headtube is forged BMX sworks headtube with 4-5mm thickness. Also the shock mount is heavily reinforced (actually its an all different shock mount). :D:D