Quantcast

Specialized Big hit project need help

ScrewyLouie

Chimp
Jun 2, 2012
Louisville, CO
Hello all, I have recently purchased a used Specialized bighit project bike that needs some work. I think its an older model but not quite sure how old. I have some questions if someone could help answer that would be great. I have worked on a ton of older bikes, but all the new fancy componentry is alien to me.
Theres some cool aftermarket upgrades including a dual crown manitou dorado fork.
Missing:
headset. Does a normal 1 1/8" threadless work fine with the aftermarket fork?
rear shock: looking for something inexpensive, its also missing bearings/spacers??
Handlebar mounts: never seen anything like the dual crown setup, where can i get something that works?
thanks, anyone with any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated!
-Louie

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
post some pics.

canecreek.com has a headset finder to help you figure out what you will need.

You'll need to know what year the bike is to figure out which shock it takes, the bighits changed throughout the years.

I have an 09, been a pretty fun bike for me so far.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Wrong thread. I know I know, be nice, I don't care. Post in the downhill thread.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Where did you pick that up? The entire bike, bearings/pivots included, has been spray painted green. That bike was probably stolen, given the overall look of the bike. A big red flag should be the headset cups still pressed into the frame, but none of the rest there.

As for putting it together, you'll get a lot more help in the downhill forum. More DH guys there who will have info on the Big hit.

ScrewyLouie

Chimp
Jun 2, 2012
Louisville, CO
Where did you pick that up? The entire bike, bearings/pivots included, has been spray painted green. That bike was probably stolen, given the overall look of the bike. A big red flag should be the headset cups still pressed into the frame, but none of the rest there.

As for putting it together, you'll get a lot more help in the downhill forum. More DH guys there who will have info on the Big hit.
A friend had it in his garage collecting dust and gave it to me. Not stolen.
Yeah, the green overspray job is pretty hideous, I plan on stripping it.
Any way a moderator could move this thread to the DH section? I think after some research, that I have an '02-'03 Big Hit DH

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Standard 1-1/8 headset- get a new one. Cane creek s-3 is good, low stack and cheap. Bikes of this era had either fox vanilla rc or manitou swinger 4-way. Both fine shocks, but the manitou is more of a platform damping for pedaling.
Pretty sure it's a standard 8.75x2.75 shock, so you have plenty of options. Based on the old 15" BB height, using a short 8.5x2.5 shock could be a sweet upgrade. Specialized can probably help you with shock hardware, but most can be found aftermarket if you get the dimensions.
I loved my bighit- it was a fun bike.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
As for a headset- yes as long as its a standard 1-1/8 steer tube you are good with a normal 1-1/8 headset no matter what fork it is afvtermarket or not. unless of course the fork is tapered, too big, too small, etc. In this case yes a 1-1/8 threadless is ok

Inexpensive rear shock, Marzocchi, Rock Shox or an older Fox should do the trick and do better than the wrench!

Handlebar mount? You mean a stem? If you have enough room on the steer tube you can use a normal stem, but with a dual crown a Direct mount stem is PIMP! I personally have a dorado, its a 2012, but same idea. I use a renthal Integra Direct Mount Stem and it is awesome!

ScrewyLouie

Chimp
Jun 2, 2012
Louisville, CO
Handlebar mount? You mean a stem? If you have enough room on the steer tube you can use a normal stem, but with a dual crown a Direct mount stem is PIMP! I personally have a dorado, its a 2012, but same idea. I use a renthal Integra Direct Mount Stem and it is awesome!
Yeah, theres that long extension on the upper fork brace that looks like something ive never seen before, the direct mount stem looks like it would fit there, but there would still be an inch of steer tube sticking up behind it, where a normal stem would mount. Its hard for me to visualize the set up, if you could post a pic of yours that might help.
thanks
Louie

ScrewyLouie

Chimp
Jun 2, 2012
Louisville, CO
Thanks moderators for moving this thread!

I purchased a new headset, and going to buy a manitou 4-way sometime today...
I believe the BB is shot, anyone have any inexpensive ideas for that? im kinda on a budget.
thanks
Louie

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
There are a lot of relatively cheap bmx bottom brackets out there for profile. But do your research and set the spacers up properly. The bearings will die early without the correct internal spacer setup.

Make sure you get the correct shock length and stroke.

That dorado had a special direct mount stem- you should try to find one. You might have to go with a small bar (25.4). Pretty sure the new dorado is a the boxxer standard which is completely different.

Perhaps you could get a newer upper crown to allow you more stem selection, but that may cost a bit.