Quantcast

Some new hardware for the Megatrail

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Just got these bad boys laced up yesterday...I must say the instant engagement feels incredible and they roll super fast compared to my old hubs...I'm coming off dt 240's so that says allot..

Went back to i25 aluminum rims as well..the i30 width of the carbons is too wide for 2.3 tires I like in the rear...when I kill these I will most likely go back to a i25ish carbon rim although I will say there is definitely some additional comfort with the aluminum rims..

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice the hubs seem cool. I have ELITES that are being tested would like to try some Stealth Hubs out and see how much difference there is between the two...

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Comfort how? Like actual comfort riding, or knowing that it won't cost a ton of you break it?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Comfort how? Like actual comfort riding, or knowing that it won't cost a ton of you break it?
Less harsh in gnarly rock sections mainly...But it just feels more compliant overall with a less stiff wheel..

The wheels I was riding last week were too far in that direction though..we got some rain and the traction was good...could feel allot of flex compared to the carbon's especially when coming in hard on the brakes..Those were junky i21's and you already lost allot of braking traction with the narrower rim..your contact patch when the bike is upright is considerably narrower...these should be right in the middle between the two

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What carbon rimz were you running? I've got Enves on my MegaTroll and found that the increased stiffness felt awesome cornering but haven't really noticed a difference in harshness.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
What carbon rimz were you running? I've got Enves on my MegaTroll and found that the increased stiffness felt awesome cornering but haven't really noticed a difference in harshness.
Light-bicycle..they are wider than the enves...also the terrain I ride is pretty much the opposite of yours..ie: rock hard

I rode the carbons and then the narrow aluminum ones on back to back days on the same trail and it was a much different feel...its not necessarily a bad thing its just different...I didn't go back to aluminum to get a softer wheel I wanted a narrower rim and I cant afford enve and I dont think the narrower light-bicycle ones will hold up..I doubt I would get a year out of an enve in the rear even

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Light-bicycle..they are wider than the enves...also the terrain I ride is pretty much the opposite of yours..ie: rock hard

I rode the carbons and then the narrow aluminum ones on back to back days on the same trail and it was a much different feel...its not necessarily a bad thing its just different...I didn't go back to aluminum to get a softer wheel I wanted a narrower rim and I cant afford enve and I dont think the narrower light-bicycle ones will hold up..I doubt I would get a year out of an enve in the rear even
Good point about the terrain. I lived in SoCal for a while and have ridden the SB trails a bit. They are indeed different that all the loamy stuff I ride up here. To put it mildly.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Can't believe how much faster these roll...

Smashed my after work ride...had to adjust my braking points I was carrying so much more momentum into/out of the turns...Not to mention the engagement on the climbs....that and the i25 high roller combo was so much better. Can keep traction when leaned over much further..didn't think hubs would make that much of a difference..night and day better.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Smashed my after work ride...had to adjust my braking points I was carrying so much more momentum into/out of the turns...Not to mention the engagement on the climbs....that and the i25 high roller combo was so much better. Can keep traction when leaned over much further..didn't think hubs would make that much of a difference..night and day better.
More momentum from the lack of hub drag? Could be the tire profile from the regular width rims. Also consider the lightened wallet effect :D

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
More momentum from the lack of hub drag? Could be the tire profile from the regular width rims. Also consider the lightened wallet effect :D
Haha yea prob a combo of less tire on the ground and the hubs rolling considerably faster..I also added some weight which once you're moving prob keeps on rolling. Dropped 6 seconds off my best time on a trail I ride a couple times a week..definitely wasn't in my head..Same thing again this morning on another descent..washed out in a turn and was only a couple seconds off my best time which I did in hero dirt conditions..dry and loose today

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
500 gram for hubs, yikes. Hadley must do spin at least good as them.
Stainless free hub body vs. Ti

Im as picky as they come and I didnt notice the 140g's or whatever I added to the center of my wheel...
The last hadley I had cracked in several places...just say'n

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Stainless free hub body vs. Ti

Im as picky as they come and I didnt notice the 140g's or whatever I added to the center of my wheel...
The last hadley I had cracked in several places...just say'n
Really? I own 3 pairs and they've all been bulletproof. I've actually been meaning to lace one of them up to my Enve rims over the winter but haven't gotten around to it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

I imagine they've changed the system up a little from 10 years ago but it seemed really difficult to get the old ones to spin really freely (plus they tended to get rusted up inside).

Good to hear that's not a problem. A buddy of mine is still riding one of the old originals that he's kept on top of cleaning/maintenance-wise . I always thought the engagement system was pretty badass.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I imagine they've changed the system up a little from 10 years ago but it seemed really difficult to get the old ones to spin really freely (plus they tended to get rusted up inside).

Good to hear that's not a problem. A buddy of mine is still riding one of the old originals that he's kept on top of cleaning/maintenance-wise . I always thought the engagement system was pretty badass.
This is the latest and greatest. I know a few people who have been running the last version for a long time w/o issues