Quantcast

Solid bikes striker dh

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
In another bike forum (possibly with a color in its name), there is an owners forum and ppl seem extremely happy with it. I've got one on order that will be delivered in a week or so, and the company have been great to deal with. Superb replies to all questions, and really straight forward. Right this very moment, some of them are on a tour with their WC riders (see their Facebook page), i.e. they could be a bit slower to reply atm.

Last edited:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
The company is really down to earth and in touch with the community. No marketing bs, just stuff that works from a riders perspective.
My Strike has been great so far. Best bike i´ve ridden to date. Can´t wait to get it on some real tracks and see its full potential!

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
He's riding a Black Strike with a CCDB and Boxxer WC 2015. Loki was part of the reason why I ordered mine, so that's why I know. I went with a raw frame (and grey/black details) + the 380 Ti in the end instead. I wanted to try the 380 so bad I just had to...

Some more pics below, from Solid's facebook page.

Last edited:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Like he said, i´m on the standard Strike Black Star.
I was on a Yeti 303 R-DH before, with custom tuned Vivid and Marzocchi 888 RC3 Evo V2.
I haven´t tried other shocks on my Strike, but the bikes designer told me he liked the CCDB the most, with the Marzocchi Moto being a close second place. He also recommend the Vivid Air as it comes very close to the Coils. I´ve known him for some time now and trust his judgement.
I did a testride, before buying mine, on a Strike with a Vivid Air and it performed great even though the shock wasn´t set up for me and was probably a little firm.
Regarding shock choices, i think it´s pretty hard to find a shock that will perform badly on the bike, as the rear suspension is just a really damn good design.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
make your own that might or might not slide around (as see on many prettybike posts) or a legit offering from the company to fix a design flaw that begs mucho servicing?

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I´ve made my own which doesn´t slide even a millimeter. You can actually try to pull the one i made into any direction, it won´t move one bit. I´ve put some 1/4 inch thick closed cell foam beneath the fender so it can conform to the shape of the piggyback and you can really tighten down the cableties. Also keeps everything quiet and there´s no rubbing on the reservoir. Weight was somewhere around 15g.
Don´t know about the factory one, but apparently it has been used on the Reichmann bike (which features the same linkage) for some years now and nobody had complaints. If it was really sliding around, i guess the cell foam would help on that one too.
Isn´t the factory one on the website?

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Just playing devil's advocate based on the pics of the design they float around on teh webs. If they have a legit solution that they offer to all customers, great. If not, I think it's lame to force the consumer to come up with one.

Other than the potential vulnerability of the shock, looks pretty damn slick.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
The shock is positioned there as the force reduction is ideal where it is placed, so it's a huge benefit from that perspective and certainly not a design flaw. Adding a shock fender is super easy either yourself or with the carbon fender that Solid have if you want the extra security. The factory one is on Reverse Components website, but not mentioned on Solid's website.

Btw, it looks like the WC team Black Star may have slightly different graphics:

Btw, note the BOS fork, as well as the red striped and wheel colored one in the back.

Last edited:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Just playing devil's advocate based on the pics of the design they float around on teh webs. If they have a legit solution that they offer to all customers, great. If not, I think it's lame to force the consumer to come up with one.

Other than the potential vulnerability of the shock, looks pretty damn slick.
Nah, i think it´s a real simple solution that just works. Like i said, it has been around for years. Myself, i have just not felt the need to go for a trick carbon fender when it only took me something like 20 minutes to make my own :-)

Besides that, i still don´t get why people are that concerned about shocks getting dirty. There are quite a few designs out there with shocks that are very likely to get blasted with dirt and noone seems to care (Turner DHR comes to mind). It´s only that people notice when the shock is floating vertically in front of the rear wheel.
But all that really doesn´t matter that much like you said, when there´s a simple solution available.

The Testbike i rode was equipped with a Vivid air without a fender and we all know what testbikes have to endure. That shock performed flawless and there was no damage to the shock shaft despite it being ridden on a track that mostly consists of sand and rocks (i´ve ridden there for years, it´s very hard on components if you ride there frequently). The Solid shop guy even told me, they had quite a few problems with the dorados on the testbikes, but not the shocks.
Yeah, of course , don´t trust the manufacturers claims and all, but i´m really not too worried about the shock placement.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
To each their own, but I certainly have no worries about rocks and the piggyback. I usually don't have rocks thrown forward from the tire thread, only smaller gravel and mud.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
the fender is nice, but... what about rocks flying to the pigyback?....
What about rocks getting thrown up and between your lower fork crown?
In all the time i´ve been riding downhill bikes i never had a stone (of considerable size) thrown somewhere in between my rear triangle but quite a few that hit the lower fork arch and the fork lowers. Are USD superior forks because of no lower crown? Or inferior because their stanchions are more in harms way? No. Nobody cares about that.
It´s a downhill bike. I really don´t get why people are so damn afraid about scratching their new bikes.
Yeah, dirt and water on the seals aren´t that great. Stones on the shock shaft are really bad. But man, stones on the piggyback?! Who cares!? :banana:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'd guess the concern is less about rock strikes and more along the lines of an increased frequency of servicing from a more constant spray of mud/grit/poo?

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
Actually, have a look at the comparison between the Strike, the 2015 V10 and Pivot over at http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/santa-cruz-v10-275-2015.html also. Essentially, the three bikes are very much following similar design principles and look great (from a statistical measurements perspective).

And yes, google translate is your friend if your spanish is rusty or you don't want to interpret the statistics yourself. There is a drop down to translate into whatever language you want in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Teaser (from the comments section, by the regular poster 'Chris'):
"Leaving aside the high anti-squat single pivot designs (e.g. Morewood Mukulu), based on the data in these graphs, it is clear that the three shown set the benchmark for rear suspension function for bike designs that subscribe to the "pedaling neutrality" goal. It is interesting to note that if we grant this latest design from Santa Cruz is an improvement on the earlier one then this only underscores just how good the Solid bike is, because the Strike really got there first. And, maybe, the LR on the Strike is still better than the V10."

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It all comes down to riding/racing in really muddy conditions when the mud is thick enough this rear triangle/shock placement will be a clusterfuck of 2-3 additional kilos...

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Actually, have a look at the comparison between the Strike, the 2015 V10 and Pivot over at http://linkagedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/santa-cruz-v10-275-2015.html also. Essentially, the three bikes are very much following similar design principles and look great (from a statistical measurements perspective).

And yes, google translate is your friend if your spanish is rusty or you don't want to interpret the statistics yourself. There is a drop down to translate into whatever language you want in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Teaser (from the comments section, by the regular poster 'Chris'):
"Leaving aside the high anti-squat single pivot designs (e.g. Morewood Mukulu), based on the data in these graphs, it is clear that the three shown set the benchmark for rear suspension function for bike designs that subscribe to the "pedaling neutrality" goal. It is interesting to note that if we grant this latest design from Santa Cruz is an improvement on the earlier one then this only underscores just how good the Solid bike is, because the Strike really got there first. And, maybe, the LR on the Strike is still better than the V10."

woahh this website is awesome; repped

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I'd guess the concern is less about rock strikes and more along the lines of an increased frequency of servicing from a more constant spray of mud/grit/poo?
He was talking about stones getting thrown at the piggyback. Which couldn´t care less about it.
To protect the shaft, there is the fender.
Of course, without a fender it might become a problem in the long run, but then again, there IS a fender ;)

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
It all comes down to riding/racing in really muddy conditions when the mud is thick enough this rear triangle/shock placement will be a clusterfuck of 2-3 additional kilos...
A mud Fuck would protect the shock but if you want, make 360 degrees fender. Even better 720 degrees with round shaped plates to cover top and bottom sides of spring. Add hydraulic pump to ventilate air in the hot mud Fuck.

In conclusion, who cares!

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
pump might add some weight and some maintenance, hmm. Would a passive air intake be enough to cool off the hot canister?

considering to make double sided air intake carbon fender thing like in F1 car below.

Trasselkalle

Monkey
Oct 28, 2014
Sweden
I think the bike would probably explode (not to mention the Internet) if you paired design ideals from an Italian car with a German engineering masterpiece. You must have meant like this: