Quantcast

SoftRide Shuttle Pad Review

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
After using a few variants of hitch racks on my previous SUV, and using either a hitch rack or hauling the bikes "moto" style in my truck, I feel like I've finally found the most convenient method of hauling my bikes around.

After getting the truck, I found myself using my 4bike hitch rack less and less. Most of the time I would just tie down the bikes moto style by the handlebars. It was a big PITA if I had more than 2 bikes and would take forever figuring out the spaghetti mess of straps. I then started draping the bikes over the tailgate method with a moving blanket. This in itself caused issues because of potential for damage to downtubes on rough shuttle roads and the bikes just moving around if the road wasn't perfectly smooth.

I started looking into getting a DaKine pad my buddy had, but it didn't solve the issue of the bikes bouncing around on rough shuttle roads. Then late last year, I saw an ad in MBA for the ShuttlePad which had individual straps built into the pad. This seemed like the answer to preventing the bikes from bouncing around. After waiting a few months, they finally released the ShuttlePad. However, no one seemed to have any reviews on it so I decided to be the guinea pig.

Unfortunately, I was only riding with 2 other buddies, but I put the bikes all the one side to show I could easily fit 5 bikes over the tailgate. The padding is super thick, and even without the straps, I don't think it would dent the downtubes. With the straps, I can pull the bikes up by hand, and they don't lift at all off the tailgate. No bouncing. The material seems pretty heavy duty. I dragged my pedals on accident on the pad multiple times, each time wincing and checking for tears. The pad took it like a champ. Some people worried about stitches ripping which I guess is common in the DaKine pad. I didn't have any issues with that, and I snugged the straps to the tailgate pretty snug too. All in all, I would highly recommend this pad for those of you on the fence or trying to figure out how to best use your truck bed to haul bikes around. It literally takes a minute to load and unload 5 bikes.

I ordered the pad direct through Softride. Ask for Jeff.

http://www.softride.com/rack-products/specifications/shuttle_pad_truck_tail_gate_pad

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Picture # 8 on the site is a good one to help understand how the straps work since you can't see them in your pic. Now, to start making something that keeps the pad from eating through my paint. :D

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You still have to be careful with the bikes over the gate. I had a bike with open cables on the downtube. After a day of shuttles the cable had almost rubbed through the downtube.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
I wonder if that's because the bikes flop around with no straps. Even if it moves a hair, over a day of shuttling, it'll wear. With the individual straps this should be less of an issue at the minimum I think. I don't know. None of my bikes route cables this way.

You still have to be careful with the bikes over the gate. I had a bike with open cables on the downtube. After a day of shuttles the cable had almost rubbed through the downtube.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Or have them sell you laminate and apply it yourself. The rapid tax stuff is pretty hardto screw up on install... a heatgun makes it easy as does a felt covered squeegy.... fast signs has always been pricey....

But yes best suggestion to date ifyourgoing to keep it on tbevehicle for a bit have a clear bra or laminate applied to the tailgate first....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm growing anti-Daking pad. Or any pad for that matter.

Gadgets like this are where it's at:

or this:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yup. You'd still need the tailgate pad because DH'ers are not courteous when loading a shuttle vehicle. Seeing what people did to the sides of Clealan's gorgeous beast is just sad panda all day.