Quantcast

So what are the chances (broken hanger)...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
...that I can can get my bike ready for this weekend. At my last race I stripped out my rear. mech and damaged my hanger. The hanger just went and is cracked and I need to get my bike up and running for the 10e race this weekend.

I guess my only option is to see if I can get a new rear seatstay from Intense. The problem is that I may not be able to get one soon enough. Anyone think I could rig up one of those cheapy mechs, which are usually found on huffys, that include a hanger which slots into the dropout. That is really the only other option I have.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Could you find someone to weld over the crack, fill the hole, and retap a hanger thread? It'll be a hack job, but you're going to need a new rear end anyway, so give it a go.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Have your dealer call QBP and order a der. hanger repair kit. You drill out the old threaded hole with the supplied bit, then place the threaded steel insert of the repair kit in the hole from the cassette side, so the flanged side rests against the inside of the hanger. The der threads then threads into the insert like a chainring bolt. Simple, strong and effective. Plus they're pretty cheap. Make sure the dealer orders the forged dropout version, not the one for cheapo stamped dropouts.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Eurotrash said:
what about a Saint Rear derailleur? Could'nt you rig up an axle to fit?
The axles aren't easy to come by. Plus, he'll then need to get used to the low-normal derailleur if he isn't already.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dan-o said:
Have your dealer call QBP and order a der. hanger repair kit. You drill out the old threaded hole with the supplied bit, then place the threaded steel insert of the repair kit in the hole from the cassette side, so the flanged side rests against the inside of the hanger. The der threads then threads into the insert like a chainring bolt. Simple, strong and effective. Plus they're pretty cheap. Make sure the dealer orders the forged dropout version, not the one for cheapo stamped dropouts.
:thumb: when i worked in a shop we had halot of success with that...do it up

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
dan-o said:

if the hanger is cracked then that would mean the thread is the least of his concerns

i think saint is THE way to go here, unless you have access to tig and solution heat treat.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
vitox said:
if the hanger is cracked then that would mean the thread is the least of his concerns
i think saint is THE way to go here, unless you have access to tig and solution heat treat.
I guess it depends on the extent of the crack. If the hanger is functional (rigid) then the repair kit is the cheap, temporary fix that will get him racing.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dan-o said:
I guess it depends on the extent of the crack. If the hanger is functional (rigid) then the repair kit is the cheap, temporary fix that will get him racing.
..until it cracks further, and sends his derailleur into the rear wheel causing the derailleur, many spokes, and possibly the rim to be destroyed. Pretty expensive temporary fix...

Sounds to me like Saint is the only way you're going to be up and running without a new rear end or a hack welding job. You know anyone who doesn't want to race that weekend who might have a rear end that'd fit? You might even be able to swap it between races so you can both race.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
binary visions said:
..until it cracks further, and sends his derailleur into the rear wheel causing the derailleur, many spokes, and possibly the rim to be destroyed. Pretty expensive temporary fix....
He'd need to replace the hub, spokes, der and rotor to run SAINT anyway.
I'm not looking for a pissing match, just trying to suggest a solution for the dude. Since 10e is a 2 run format, I'd just borrow a bike for a race run personally.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Also... Intense are out of stock of M1 rear ends (and I'm presuming that's what you're needing) AND deraillier hangers. My rear end is there right now waiting for parts, however I'm borrowing a bike right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dan-o said:
He'd need to replace the hub, spokes, der and rotor to run SAINT anyway.
I'm not looking for a pissing match, just trying to suggest a solution for the dude. Since 10e is a 2 run format, I'd just borrow a bike for a race run personally.
Who's starting a pissing match? I'm just suggesting he may run into a lot of expensive problems destroying parts if he runs it on a cracked hangar.

SAINT has some options... He may be able to find a whole rear wheel. Also, I don't know what hub he's running, but it may be a 10mm bolt on already - a couple hub manufacturer's make a 10mm bolt on axle. In that case he just needs the axle and derailleur...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
binary visions said:
Who's starting a pissing match? I'm just suggesting he may run into a lot of expensive problems destroying parts if he runs it on a cracked hangar.

SAINT has some options... He may be able to find a whole rear wheel. Also, I don't know what hub he's running, but it may be a 10mm bolt on already - a couple hub manufacturer's make a 10mm bolt on axle. In that case he just needs the axle and derailleur...

WOWWWW

so you are saying that you can bolt a saint rear mech onto any bolt on rear axle?

sure about that?

then that has to be the way to go for our unfortunate fellow :monkey:

and you know, i think unless SRAM is preferred and low-normal isnt out of the question, then just skipping the repair of the rear end isnt such a bad idea, just run saint from now on, and instead of paying for a seatstay you get a saint hub and rear mech, its got to be pretty much the same amount of coin isnt it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
vitox said:
so you are saying that you can bolt a saint rear mech onto any bolt on rear axle?

sure about that?
No, I'm saying you can use the Saint rear axle (and subsequently the rear mech) on any 10mm bolt-on hub.

Is that what you were saying I was saying? Know what I'm saying?

The problem being, of course, that the axle comes with the hub, not the mech. So you gotta get ahold of an axle first.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Thanks for the help everyone.

I gave Intense a call today and they told me that they are out of rear ends but that I can send in my seatstay and they could machine it to be like the newer ones and use a replaceable hanger. The hanger is done, so heli-coiling it isn't going to happen.

I have one idea which may work, but I'm definately interested in what Repack did. The only thing is I don't want to mess up my seatstay to the point where it can't be modified to work with the replaceable hanger.

In anycase, I think after this weekend I'll be sending in my seatstay to Intense and keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't as slow as I have heard they are with fixing things since I want to ride.