Quantcast

So Cool....

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Would it not be better if the shock went more linear once the elastomer was activated? The reason I ask, if it was absorbing a square edge hit, you'd not want it getting stiffer. One would then counter act the other so in effect the benefit would be negated somewhat.
What was the other elastomer=Shock 2 phaze suspension bike? Was it Evil, or Frank The Welder? Similar concept. The elastomer got squashed instead of stretched but it still was used to absorb square edge hits.
Good concept. I see merit to it. I doubt the 1"or so rearward travel would weird the rider out with his COG moving as it'd only happen on a square edge impact that would otherwise unsettle the bike's handling more.
Not sure about pedal kickback. Would an idler on the pivot make less chain growth(there'd still be some), than without an idler?
I guess it has some sort of stop to stop chain induced opposite activation.
Then there's brake induced forces. I'm guessing it'd squat still, and cancel out most of the elastomers activation when braking. But I have no idea of what effect the "moments" will be doing around those pivots. S/Socket you there?
I think it'd have more pros than cons.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Would it not be better if the shock went more linear once the elastomer was activated? The reason I ask, if it was absorbing a square edge hit, you'd not want it getting stiffer. One would then counter act the other so in effect the benefit would be negated somewhat.
What was the other elastomer=Shock 2 phaze suspension bike? Was it Evil, or Frank The Welder? Similar concept. The elastomer got squashed instead of stretched but it still was used to absorb square edge hits.
Good concept. I see merit to it. I doubt the 1"or so rearward travel would weird the rider out with his COG moving as it'd only happen on a square edge impact that would otherwise unsettle the bike's handling more.
Not sure about pedal kickback. Would an idler on the pivot make less chain growth(there'd still be some), than without an idler?
I guess it has some sort of stop to stop chain induced opposite activation.
Then there's brake induced forces. I'm guessing it'd squat still, and cancel out most of the elastomers activation when braking. But I have no idea of what effect the "moments" will be doing around those pivots. S/Socket you there?
I think it'd have more pros than cons.
You're thinking of the Sinister VST from 2006: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Interbike-2006-Splatts-Favorites.html

I'm guessing this latest iteration will have a similar fate, but it's still cool.

I'm dubious of the pedaling, and hadn't even though of the braking aspects...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
no idea whether the suspension design will work as adevertised but stylewise i like it a lot.
imagine that with a fox 40 and enve carbon parts everywhere. :)

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Awesome! I was hoping that project would make it to final stages.

It's all about the "axle path area", some much better than being stuck to a single axle path.

Jon Heim is a smart guy, and killer trail builder. Congrats guys!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Funny, I saw him riding that bike at Mammoth this weekend. Hank is a great guy, and a really solid rider. The bike looked pretty cool too. I love how his bikes LOOK like they are aluminum, but they are actually super burly steel tubing. I think he's got the right idea.

Also, for you tall guys, since FTW isn't making DH bike anymore, I'd suggest talking to Hank about custom frames. I was riding with him and a 7' tall guy who had a custom frame from Hank. It was even bigger than my 50in wheelbase FB10. Looked like a really solid frame too, stiff, burly, and not a tin can.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

A) that would be a yeti

B) no. The linkage on this bike allows the pivot to move backwards as it rotates on its access. A true VAA/VPA bike.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good guys and an elegant interpretation of the 2D concept. Would like to try one.

And of course, describing travel in square inches tickles my bike geek bone.

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Not bad, it's a bit difficult to understand how it will works because all depends on the spring rate of the elastomer... if it's too soft it's going to work just at the beginning of the travel, probably below the sag point so it's just like any other Single Pivot. But if the Elastomer is strong enough it can really work with 2 DOF, starting with the coil moving up and down and leaving the rearward part just for square edge hits...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not bad, it's a bit difficult to understand how it will works because all depends on the spring rate of the elastomer... if it's too soft it's going to work just at the beginning of the travel, probably below the sag point so it's just like any other Single Pivot. But if the Elastomer is strong enough it can really work with 2 DOF, starting with the coil moving up and down and leaving the rearward part just for square edge hits...
Yeah I wonder if as the shock is compressed, the forces on the pivot will just make the whole pivot rotate and pull on the elastomer or lock it out somewhat anyway.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if they're smart, they'll sell the bike with an elastomer kit. Personally, I think elastomers are **** and have no place on a DH bike except potentially for a frame bumper on your fork....BUT...if it came with a kit, and a thoroughly thought out chart, you could select an elastomer for your weight and the temperature outside. Again, if they were smart, you could change them quickly and easily to tune the travel how you'd like it. Sort of like those paintball barrels that come in a variety of .010's of an inch.

I'm also glad to see them marketing the bike as a true variable axle area bike, rather than as having some sort of "pedaling platform" like Corsair and 2stage did with their design. I've always wanted a corshair.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

A) that would be a yeti

B) no. The linkage on this bike allows the pivot to move backwards as it rotates on its access. A true VAA/VPA bike.
Decathlon builds those frames for almost 10 years now.

works great and did costs me less then 1k new.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ok, but this bike uses a similar design to achieve something entirely different, and it's not built out of cheese and hair spray.