Quantcast

So. Cal. guys?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Im heading down to LA tomorrow on short notice to pick up something for work and was thinking of getting a quick shred in..

The place I'm going is close to downtown LA...would I be better off hitting up something in Simi or Agora or that zone behind the Getty?? High speed/tech, I'm good with whatever...going to be pedaling up so shuttling isnt a necessity..

Any advise on trails would be nice...Ive scoped some stuff on strava but it's hard to tell what's descent..I've ridden all over the US and Canada but have never ridden anything in the LA area..

Sorry for not posting in the regional section but it doesn't appear many people look at that anymore..

Thanks

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Some good riding at all those locations you mentioned, depends on what you want to ride, how much time you, and how much traffic you want to avoid. Santa Monica has some great trails if you know where to look, easy access to them but getting over the sepulveda pass after 3pm will take hours so i ride from the encino side (caballero FR climb). Rocky Peak in Simi has a few really good loops and is an easier drive back to SB, same with Sui in Agoura but it's farther off the fwy and a longer loop, 2 hours to do my loop out there. Space mountain in TO is really fun if you don't need super steep or gnar, i have a good ~1.25 hour loop out there that's a blast. I will PM you my strava page and you can see those loops, let me know if you have any other questions.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the link...rode samurai or whatever it's called behind the Getty off sunset..pretty fun..only had time for two laps...would have liked to do more..kinda sketchy going blind but my second run was descent..roosted myself with dog shit though which kinda sucked

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you can get to Pasadena, ride Mount Wilson. One of So Cal's most epic trails. Best shuttled if you're short on time or aren't a really strong climber. You'll need lots of time, either way.

Edit: Er, or do that next time you're in LA.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
i'll trade security for some bit of culture. Im not 55 with 3 kids so I have no interest in living in a never ending sea of suburbs, strip malls even if its at the base of a mountain.
Oh yes, camarillo, the bastion of culture. seizure world and tweaker culture, but it's still culture.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
You're 30 minutes from one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world. Granted, I hate LA, but if you can't find something to do...you suck.
If you can make TO to LA in 30 minutes you're a fucking ninja. I should say if you can make it in 30 minutes in anytime you'd want to go. Sure you can do it at 3:23AM. But report back on any evening or weekend for me.

To be clear I wasnt talking about driving to other cities to find something to do. I said TO sucked. I could just as easily drive to fucking santa barbara, but that wasnt the point.

Thousand oaks, safe yes. Sucks? yes. Long beach, safe? no. sucks? no.

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
LOL y'all are acting like you think I'm offended by talking shit on Thousand Oaks when I don't even live there... (I'm down in the OC with the other super rich Asian people)

I only linked that "Safest City" article, because I've lived in some truly awful places (e.g. EAST OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA) and didn't quite feel that boredom ='s god-forsakenly-horrible.

Also, my family lives [in TO] two doors down from Amanda Bynes--and she throws pretty bangin' parties. If you ever wanna rail lines of coke off the boobs of a washed-up Nickelodeon superstar, just lemme know....