Quantcast

SLX M665 brakes for DH?

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I came off some M810 Saints (which never seemed thaaat solid feeling, even after a bleed by a friggin' ASE Certified Mech.) and used M666 SLX front (non-finned metallic pads) and M785 XT rear (finned metallic pads) with 8" rotors (Fe front, Ice-Tech rear) on my DH bike this past summer on a tour of B.C. resorts and Mammoth. I never experienced fade and the brakes worked out fine for me, felt better overall than the old Saints. I really like the feel/actuation of the new levers on the current Shimano brakes.

That being said, I recently bought the new M820 Saints to see what the fuss was all about. It was probably a waste of money, even at the deal I got them at. At least they'll get me lots of cred. with the random bros in the chair lift line, though.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Wow- thanks everyone for the input! It's what I was hoping to hear, so I'm gonna give some SLX a shot. Unfortunately, I will still look like a hoser in the lift line in this scenario, but I will be a content hoser. Sandwich, thanks for pointing out the difference between oem/shamano packaged stuff. That factored into me not buying them off off eBay. Getting a fair deal from a buddy at a shop, especially since I won't have to pay tax or shipping... Or wait for them! ;)
I gotta admit, I'm pretty excited to get a brand new pair of shimano brakes after how awesome my old saints have been. I'll try to update this after I've had some time on the on my dh rig, for posterity :D

msaman

Chimp
Dec 6, 2012
First I want to apologize for posting it here but it's kind of urgent :(
I do not want to hijack this thread but I've got a problem with my M820 brake lever.
I did bleed my brakes with the yellow plastic block first .The feel I wanted was not firm enough so I put the red plastic between the pads and inject some fluid inside.
The front one feels perfect now but my rear brake leaks from the side hole on the lever body .I mean I took out all the air and screwed the top screw and after that injected a bit more fluid into the system and the brake started leaking from this golden tap on the side ;(((
The brake works just fine but I want a bit more firm feel.
What do you guys think ?
If you put your finger on the side(this golden tap or what ever colour is on your XTR,XT,SLX) and squeeze the lever few times can you feel a pressure building up there ?
Cheers guys

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey, just an update. Got my retail xts from jenson, and there's only one set of pads in there. They're metal radiator pads, so I'm happy, but the description implies both resin and metal. Oh well.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Hey, just an update. Got my retail xts from jenson, and there's only one set of pads in there. They're metal radiator pads, so I'm happy, but the description implies both resin and metal. Oh well.
I had the same "issue" with my shop bought retail packaged slx's. Fortunately, they were metal finned pads, so I said "meh" and bought them anyway and am stoked on how they feel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cool, i can't wait to try them out. The fauxchrome looks spiffy. my wheels bits should be in next week :/

maybe i'll build trails in the yard until they arrive.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
XT's are real nice brakes. Im used to Avid levers and took quite a bit of time to get used to the shorter Shimano levers. Now theyre my favorite so far... Never felt I needed more power, modulates really nice and looks good too. Win.