Quantcast

sizing questions re: 2015 Specialized Enduros

what are your collective thoughts on sizing for a 2015 Enduro 27.5?

I am 6'2", 33 inseam. Riding ability is somewhere between intermediate and advanced. Terrain/type of riding runs the gamut from 2-3 hr trail rides, all day epics, enduro racing, 1-2 x per month of lift served bike park or shuttles. I want a long front center (running 60mm with 780mm bars) but I don't want an unwieldy "boat" either.

I currently ride a '13 LARGE Bronson C, which at the time, could have chosen a L or XL. SC has since revised their size chart and I should be riding a XL. I agree with this, as the cockpit does feel a tad cramped on those longer trail rides and climbs.

I am eyeing the Enduro 27.5, but sadly, they don't offer it in XL. I am willing to consider going to the Enduro 29, IF you guys think the XL is more appropriate. According to reach and stack numbers, the Enduro 27.5 Large is right in between a L and XL Bronson C.

The large Enduro 27.5 has the same reach as the large Enduro 29er. Also, I've read that the XL Enduro 29r is a huge frame.

My question is this: for those who about my height and inseam, would you choose the L Enduro 27.5 or size up to the XL Enduro 29?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am 5-10/11, I typically ride mediums. I just sold a medium stumpjumper (2013). Even my wife's small stumpjumper (2013) doesn't feel incredibly oh my god I'm gonna die small underneath me for a "short" XC ride, though it does start to feel a bit small if the trail gets fast or steep. This weekend at Mt. Creek the specialized Demo truck was there, I couldn't find a medium enduro to sit on, but did sit on a large 29 and 27.5 and both of them felt incredibly huge.

On most sizing charts for most bike companies I am between a medium and large. There are some companies where the large feels ok. Transition being one of them. Santa Cruz being the other. There are other companies where the large feels huge to me.

I don't know how much this will help you since I'm a full 4-5" shorter than you.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
5'11" on an large enderpo 29 with a 50mm stem and love it for XC and DH. The long reach with a short stem is really sweet. At 6'2", I'd recommend the XL, if you like longer bikes. It is a long bike, and you will probably feel stretched out on it, but after experimenting with the long TT, short stem concept, I really like it, and think it CAN BE suitable to XC as well as DH, if it's paired with a steeper seat tube.

I think this one might come down to preference, whether you want a shorter bike that's easier to maneuver or a longer bike that's more stable. the longer bike paired with the larger wheels may feel overwhelming, but the enduro does a good job of masking the feel of the larger wheels.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i am 6'2'' and 34" inseam.

i rode a large E29 for most of the summer. a few observations:

1. the bike is absolutely rad at monster trucking gnar. its insane. i never once felt like i was riding anything other than a mountain bike. no wagon wheel effect at all.
2. i always felt a little cramped on the Large TT with a 50mm stem, and felt the bars were too low given where the steertube was cut. I have now swapped to an XL camber with a 50mm stem and much prefer the sizing there. the XL camber is basically the same reach/etc as the XL E29. it looks huge, but never felt huge (to me).
3. the E29 can sometimes feel a little big on flat tight trail. I found myself braking more on some trails that i needed to. on my camber, with the same wheelbase, i am running a 51mm offset pike, and that really helps, and can run no brakes on the same sections.
4. the CCDBA CS is a rad DH shock, but it isnt that fun to pedal around on IMO. i much prefer how a monarch+ feels for all around trail duty. i found the CS switch to just make the bike feel harsh. it was a little better on steep technical loose climbs, but on a dirt road i was bumming, still way to active. th monarch+ on my camber evo gets used alot in all 3 settings, and they all work super well IMO. the monarch feels nearly as active when open, but pedals much more controlled in all settings. not ridden an INCLINE, but my understanding is that it would feel more like the monarch.

i am super stoked on my XL camber evo, but if i found the right deal on an XL enduro, i would be tempted to pull the trigger. I would build it up a little different than my E29 this summer. 51mm pike for sure, and not the CCDBA CS. If you do go that way, and need help on the suspension bits, let me know.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey marsha, what fork was on the e29? I was under the impression that they were specced with 51mm forks...unless it was an early edition with the fox forks.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Interesting, 95% sure I had a 46mm pike on mine...? maybe i should go measure. 2014 comp all black ninja version.

I should add that my camber evo is every bit as fast and fun on the longest (10-12min descent), steepest (2500-3000 vert over 2mi), rowdiest descents around here (which in the grand scale of the world it still pretty buff), it just requires a bit more piloting in the gnar. pop and gap rather than close eyes and keep straight.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
yeah, it measures out 46mm, and looks different that the 51mm sitting next to it.

ps- large E29 with pimp build (carbonz wheelz, xx1, etc) for sale on pinkbike!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Huh, interesting. I read an answer on specialized's website that said 51mm, but it looks like they have multiple conflicting answers, neat. I trust your ruler over their confused desk jockeys.

i am 6'2'' and 34" inseam.

i rode a large E29 for most of the summer. a few observations:

1. the bike is absolutely rad at monster trucking gnar. its insane. i never once felt like i was riding anything other than a mountain bike. no wagon wheel effect at all.
2. i always felt a little cramped on the Large TT with a 50mm stem, and felt the bars were too low given where the steertube was cut. I have now swapped to an XL camber with a 50mm stem and much prefer the sizing there. the XL camber is basically the same reach/etc as the XL E29. it looks huge, but never felt huge (to me).
3. the E29 can sometimes feel a little big on flat tight trail. I found myself braking more on some trails that i needed to. on my camber, with the same wheelbase, i am running a 51mm offset pike, and that really helps, and can run no brakes on the same sections.
4. the CCDBA CS is a rad DH shock, but it isnt that fun to pedal around on IMO. i much prefer how a monarch+ feels for all around trail duty. i found the CS switch to just make the bike feel harsh. it was a little better on steep technical loose climbs, but on a dirt road i was bumming, still way to active. th monarch+ on my camber evo gets used alot in all 3 settings, and they all work super well IMO. the monarch feels nearly as active when open, but pedals much more controlled in all settings. not ridden an INCLINE, but my understanding is that it would feel more like the monarch.

i am super stoked on my XL camber evo, but if i found the right deal on an XL enduro, i would be tempted to pull the trigger. I would build it up a little different than my E29 this summer. 51mm pike for sure, and not the CCDBA CS. If you do go that way, and need help on the suspension bits, let me know.
doh! pulled the trigger on a brand new 27.5 Enduro frameset. paid $2600. too good to pass up. maybe alittle buyer's remorse now. i'm gonna mull this over some.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
doh! pulled the trigger on a brand new 27.5 Enduro frameset. paid $2600. too good to pass up. maybe alittle buyer's remorse now. i'm gonna mull this over some.
i should add that i never felt it was too little going down, but i consistently felt uncomfortable while climbing. YMMV.

i should add that i never felt it was too little going down, but i consistently felt uncomfortable while climbing. YMMV.
thanks for the heads up marshal.

looking the XL camber evo geo, it has a 454mm reach....whereas a XL enduro 29 has a 465mm. the L enduro 27.5 has a reach of 443mm. my L bronson is 428mm!!!

I think ideal for me is prob 450mm or so. I just got the L enduro 27.5 in hand. And i am tempted to just build it and try it for a couple months.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Nice man, if you have the frame and all the parts on the existing bike, build that sucker up!

Not that it matters, but I have a 2013 evo w/ 462mm reach.