Quantcast

Should I trade in my Deemax for 823/hope ?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Ive had a set of 2010 Deemax for 3 years now and I just cant kill those wheels.I replaced the free hub and bearings last years , barely ever need to true them and I just cant believe the abuse they can take.

Now that said and this may sound silly but Im tired of seeing my silver flashy wheels being carried over my new bikes every years ;-) A friend of mine offered me to trade them for a set of brand new 823 on hope evo hubs.I know the 823 are solid rims and have a set of hope hubs that a I love on my trail bike but will they be just as strong ? What about the weight , will I be gaining a bunch of weight ?

What do you guys think , good deal or not ?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Seems like a no brainer? Whats in it for him, if he's trading new wheels for 3yo wheels that seem like they would have been comparable.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Isn't the 823 and Deemax rim the same with a different spoke count?
I also was under the impression that the Deemax rim and 823 were the same thing.

I don't have any time running the Deemax wheels, but I've been running my Hope Pro 2 and 823 combo on the rear for 2 years now with no problems. I've had to tighten spokes and do some minor truing from time to time, but I have zero flat spots. I think the Pro 2 and the Evo hubs are the same except that the Evos come with fancier bearings(?). That said, the Pro 2s have been flawless. I've taken them apart and regreased them after each season, but everything always looked fresh on the inside and the maintenance wasn't really necessary. Hope hubs are light too, though I'm not sure how they compare to the Mavic hubs.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Seems like a no brainer? Whats in it for him, if he's trading new wheels for 3yo wheels that seem like they would have been comparable.

A set of used Deemax still goes for around 500$ on the used market and mine are flawless.

The Deemax rims are lighter than 823 and perhaps even stronger.Either that or it has something to do with the way they are build but Ive never had an 823 rim last me for more than a season.Ive had plenty of very good wheels in my life but the Deemax were quite simply spectacular ;-)

I need a change,I want to get new wheels but cant seem to find the info I'm looking for and wouldnt want to miss my Deemax...Anyone knows the weight of a rear 823/Hope combo ?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Deemax uses 823 rims with a bit of material milled from them.

Unless the wheelset uses light spokes you will be gaining some weight though.

Ive never had an 823 rim last me for more than a season
You should put tires on wheels. That extends their life ;)

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
The Deemax rims are lighter than 823 and perhaps even stronger.Either that or it has something to do with the way they are build but Ive never had an 823 rim last me for more than a season.Ive had plenty of very good wheels in my life but the Deemax were quite simply spectacular ;-)
Not hating on Deemax, it could just be that they are awesome, but maybe luck had a bit to do with your wheelset longevity? My last three 823 rims lasted 1 season, 1 season, then 2 seasons, all with the same wheelbuilder. I've definitely gotten faster each season, and I more or less ride the same spots so I can't really put a finger on why my last rim has lasted this long. Maybe I just got smoother :)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Ohhhhhhh,
I thought they were actually exactly the same. Sounds like a bit of a wash then? Maybe it comes down to if you want black rims? :D

A set of used Deemax still goes for around 500$ on the used market and mine are flawless.

I need a change,I want to get new wheels but cant seem to find the info I'm looking for and wouldnt want to miss my Deemax...Anyone knows the weight of a rear 823/Hope combo ?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Killing 823s prematurely is in most cases bad wheelbuild or not checking the tension.

Aug 4, 2008
Yeah, methinks that that the wheelbuilder perhaps learned his craft a bit more.

I am running my 823's for fifth season now. Perfect and true. However I do have a wheelbuilder that really knows his craft.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, methinks that that the wheelbuilder perhaps learned his craft a bit more.

I am running my 823's for fifth season now. Perfect and true. However I do have a wheelbuilder that really knows his craft.
Yes. I cased the crap out of my 823s. Did drops to flat ledges and the only things that happened were small dings. With a properly built and tensioned wheel it's hard to kill most rims. Many people just use bad builds and forget about spoke tension. I've seen real hacks get 1-2 seasons out of really soft rims.

A deemax is an 823 painted yellow basically. Hoop wise you are mint. I believe the deemax hubs are better, but it seems like a good deal. Brand new for used. Seems good
Not exactly. Here's why it isn't.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
the 823's are very stiff. Not sure how that compares to the Deemax. I went 3 years without a flat running tubeless, then ripped a big chunk out of the tire and had to run a tube. I then flatted 8 times in the next 3 weeks on a number of different tires. Setup tubeless again, and no flats for another year and a half. I'm convinced that the 823's don't give, so it becomes pinch flat city with tubes in.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
the 823's are very stiff. Not sure how that compares to the Deemax. I went 3 years without a flat running tubeless, then ripped a big chunk out of the tire and had to run a tube. I then flatted 8 times in the next 3 weeks on a number of different tires. Setup tubeless again, and no flats for another year and a half. I'm convinced that the 823's don't give, so it becomes pinch flat city with tubes in.
You know I never really gave it much thought, but the same exact thing happened to me. The only time I flat on the 823's is when I tear the side wall (happened 2 times in 5 years). I run tubes for a bit... flat like f'n crazy... Go back to a new tire and tubeless, golden.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
You know I never really gave it much thought, but the same exact thing happened to me. The only time I flat on the 823's is when I tear the side wall (happened 2 times in 5 years). I run tubes for a bit... flat like f'n crazy... Go back to a new tire and tubeless, golden.
If you run a tube, run a 729. The wider profile and rim shape minimized pinched tubes. The 729 rim or 321 for us old timers; was the original Deemax rim before there was a tubeless option.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
If you run a tube, run a 729. The wider profile and rim shape minimized pinched tubes. The 729 rim or 321 for us old timers; was the original Deemax rim before there was a tubeless option.
I thought they used 721/521s for deemaxs originally. Or at least some pros ran them painted yellow as DeeMaxs.