Quantcast

should i loctite brake rotor bolts?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
i was told by someone i don't recall to [blue] loctite the bolts when installing my brake rotors. what's the consensus on this?

I'm a fairly large guy (6'3" 185 lbs) but i'm not doing downhill or anything...this is my xc bike with 160mm hayes disc brakes.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
okay thanks...I didn't think it was necessary but just wanted to reaffirm I wasn't flirting with disaster.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
damn, if youre large at 6'3" 185lbs, i must be f-ing huge to you at 6'3" 225.

i didnt loctite my bolts, unless they came with some on there...just check them periodically.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
damn, if youre large at 6'3" 185lbs, i must be f-ing huge to you at 6'3" 225.

i didnt loctite my bolts, unless they came with some on there...just check them periodically.
heh...well, I guess I was trying to point out that I'm not your typical 5'10 150 lbs. xc rider. :poster_oops:

anywhoo thanks for the replies!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
My rotor bolts & brake adapter hardware came with a patch already installed on them, which I do check periodically. I do loctite (246 blue) my headset, shifter, axle and some frame bolts.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
yep, rotor bolts come with blue on them, and you should both loctite and check them once in a while. If a bolt gets loose, the bolt will first thrash the rotor then probably make the brake fail or lock the wheel

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
yep, rotor bolts come with blue on them, and you should both loctite and check them once in a while. If a bolt gets loose, the bolt will first thrash the rotor then probably make the brake fail or lock the wheel
??? Not true at all. You will hear and feel loose bolts but they can't thrash the rotor. How would the brake fail and/or lock the wheel?

I loctite my bolts now on all of my bikes when installing rotors just to make sure that they have a little better hold on them. I do check them periodically though and some loosen even with loctite.

I've had bolts loosen and you can hear it, your brakes will squeal and the lever will usually feel a little different. Some people think that the caliper is loose or the pads are bad but it is sometimes simply loose rotor bolts.

It never hurts to throw some on each.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I blue locktite them.

Your bolts will get sheared off before a rotor starts wobbling like crazy and mauls itself. Either of those is still pretty far fetched if you start with 6 tight bolts.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
??? Not true at all. You will hear and feel loose bolts but they can't thrash the rotor. How would the brake fail and/or lock the wheel?

I loctite my bolts now on all of my bikes when installing rotors just to make sure that they have a little better hold on them. I do check them periodically though and some loosen even with loctite.

I've had bolts loosen and you can hear it, your brakes will squeal and the lever will usually feel a little different. Some people think that the caliper is loose or the pads are bad but it is sometimes simply loose rotor bolts.

It never hurts to throw some on each.
I've seen some crazy **** happen in my years of racing motorcycles and moutnain biking. There is no way you can say what will NOT happen if brake rotor bolts fall out. just lock tight them and check every now and then.