Quantcast

shock bushings

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
If you are talking about the "DU bushings, that are in the eyelets of your rear shock then yes. Its normal, they wear out after a while an creak, and create play. With your bike on the ground, pull up on your seat and do a visual around the mounting hardware, you might feel it move and see it move as well. Some suspension types wear out quicker then others. VPP is bad for going through DU bushings. They are pretty easy to change on your own with a vice and some sockets, just make sure you get the right size for your shock. Also, if the worn DU bushing is causing lots of play in your eyelets, I wouldnt ride the bike to much until you change it, it will cause alot of stress on other bearings and your frame.

Chris.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
It isn't always because the DU bushing is worn out.

On my 6-point it was because the upper busing was way too tight and the reducer was rotating against the frame. The solution was to tap the reducer out and use polishing compound and a dremel on it to get the diameter down a fraction of a hair.

On my new cove, the creak was actually the spacers on either side of the shock eyelet and not the bushing. I solved it by greasing them.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
It isn't always because the DU bushing is worn out.

On my 6-point it was because the upper busing was way too tight and the reducer was rotating against the frame. The solution was to tap the reducer out and use polishing compound and a dremel on it to get the diameter down a fraction of a hair.

On my new cove, the creak was actually the spacers on either side of the shock eyelet and not the bushing. I solved it by greasing them.
That is true, I had a play issue that was solved by replacing my lower shock reducers. Eventually they wear out as well.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I have a CCDB
Well then, be careful, they use a proprietary 4 piece DU system - at least on my Aurum.

It is a different size to Fox, and a special tool is required. Norco is sourcing the PN so that shops can order them. WTF people were doing before i don't know...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
bump

anyone still using spherical bearings seeing short lifespan on them?
I'm ordering hardware for an Ohlins and they have them as an option.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They worked great when I had them on an early CCDB probably 10 years ago.

That's all I've got.