Quantcast

Shock bushing question.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
For those of you who work in a shop or on your own bikes, do you ever remove the shock bushings (DU bushings) for some reason and reinstall the same ones? Or do you only remove them when you intend to replace a worn one? Thanks, EC

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Out of curiosity, why put the same one back in after removing it? What was the purpose of removing it? Thanks

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
For those of you who work in a shop or on your own bikes, do you ever remove the shock bushings for some reason and reinstall the same ones? Or do you only remove them when you intend to replace a worn one? Thanks, EC
Do you slam out the bearings in your hubs, and replace those with the same ones? If you do, that's a place to find your answer.
If not, maybe you should just do that too.

Out of curiosity, why put the same one back in after removing it? What was the purpose of removing it? Thanks
Why are you asking this? Maybe someone has taken one out, I highly doubt there is a need to ever do this though.
Put some needle bearings in there and pop those in and out, then you'll wish you had just a DU Bush to fart around with.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Do you slam out the bearings in your hubs, and replace those with the same ones? If you do, that's a place to find your answer.
If not, maybe you should just do that too.

Why are you asking this? Maybe someone has taken one out, I highly doubt there is a need to ever do this though.
Put some needle bearings in there and pop those in and out, then you'll wish you had just a DU Bush to fart around with.
Thank you for wasting your time.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Unless you have a DU bushing press and a sizable vise, removing them is kind of a pain and not something you want to mess with for "no reason". If the orange coating on the inside is worn then replace them.

Have you ever felt the need to take your wheels apart, spoke by spoke, and disassemble the hubs ?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
I'm wasted.
No no no Sir, I will tell you other ways to waste your time that are much funnier than what you are proposing -

Choking on a Suitcase.
Make a sculpture out of Cottage Cheese.
Start a 'Parakeet Bowling Night' at the 10 Pin.
Go door-to-door collecting static cling.
Try putting down the book 'Glue in Many Lands' (you can't, it's an awesome book)
Go to the Missing Persons Bureau and see if anyone has been looking for you.
Hang out at the Bakery to watch the Buns rise.

Is time wasted, wasted time??

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
pro tip : install igus pre-tensioned poly DU bushings and don't worry about the hassle of aluminimum DU's again.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Since you can't post anything on here and get an answer without all the assholes showing up, I'm asking this question because I want to make an accurate bushing press. A second bushing isn't needed, but helps align it better. Since I want to learn to write NC code, this is a fairly simple program to write and is a good starting point. From working in bike shops for years and using the socket idea, I think it's time to move away from that. I'm looking for perfect alignment. It's just for my use, but I'm probably going to make several just because I'm going to have the machine set up. So why not?

PS. Muddy, keep wasting your time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Slacker, figured you'd remove them and mic'em mid ride.
My first full suspension bike was the original SC Superlight. The shock bushings were integral to frame rigidity, or lack thereof. If I measured them mid ride, I'd had to replace them every 15 minutes. Got to the point where I would just wrap teflon tape around the bushing inserts every few weeks.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Since you can't post anything on here and get an answer without all the assholes showing up, I'm asking this question because I want to make an accurate bushing press. A second bushing isn't needed, but helps align it better. Since I want to learn to write NC code, this is a fairly simple program to write and is a good starting point. From working in bike shops for years and using the socket idea, I think it's time to move away from that. I'm looking for perfect alignment. It's just for my use, but I'm probably going to make several just because I'm going to have the machine set up. So why not?

PS. Muddy, keep wasting your time.
All this, from your asking about any re-using disposable parts. So, did you find whatever it is you needed?
There's couch cushions with farts trapped in them still...

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
It's not stainless though, and it got some surface rust pretty quick. Not wanting another tetanus shot, I decided not to use it in that manner. But it's awesome for its intended purpose.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Glad to hear you're enjoying it for its intended purpose! Yeah, stainless would be choice, but I just wipe mine down with a rag with some wd-40 between uses and it stays good :)