Quantcast

Semi slick with good knobs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Spec slaughter and schwalbe rock razor seem to be the only ones that come up. Are the schwalbes going to wear out before I leave the parking lot like everybody says? Slaughter/butcher isn't a horrible combo but I feel like I prefer minions to butchers, which aren't available in ss mode yet.

Subject is a 29er trail bike.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Re fast wear of tires of Schwalbe, say they that it was wrong batch. Not sure if I'd believe them. But harder compound would help. Softer rubber is quite sticky which is a bit overkill unless it's for racing. Drag-braking-Jackalope-style tear out knobs of course.

I hope Continental make something similar, Chili compound seems good. Plus that brand is available everywhere Im located.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i really like the slaughter / butcher combo. magic mary / rock razor are my favorite race tires, but the specializeds don't give up much in exchange for considerably better longevity. rock razor has better straight line / braking grip on the wee knobs (at least when the tire is relatively fresh). the RR in trailstar isn't terrible in terms of longevity (at least compared to a gummy bear MM), but the slaughter absolutely kills it (ha) in regards to wear resistance. slaughter is a bit more drifty across the short knobs, but the cornering lugs are adequately substantial & hook up nicely before things go completely sideways. also - in quite a few scenarios (except when things get really knarly) i actually prefer the lower rolling resistance of the butcher up front).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The best semislicks I've ridden (that you can still get) are the slaughter and the kenda BBGs. Kenda doesn't make those in decent casings though, and their rubber compounds sometimes do weird things.

I'm almost indifferent to the butcher vs. minion dhf thing. They're both rad. I'd maybe grab a minion if I was on more hardpack but that's about it. Specialized's newer, but untouted grid stuff is burly too.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a couple rides on a a Rock Razor now. It definitely rolls fast, but the cornering grip is pretty shitty. kidwoo's theory is that the side knobs are too far out, and so you have to lean ridiculously far over before they catch. I need to look at it again to see if I agree with that, but the results definitely aren't impressive.

I haven't ridden the Slaughter since there isn't a 26" version yet, so I have no thoughts on that.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Went with a grid casing slaughter because I was rolling tires pretty bad on the "regular" control casing. Took a weight penalty, but well worth it IMO. Doesn't roll nearly as bad in berms at the same pressure. The slaughter is interesting- a bit loose feeling in braking, but once you start to turn you're back in the traction. Im running 30psi, but I think it would brake significantly better if you didn't have to run that high. Probably doesn't help that the trails are super loose from being so dry this summer

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Running a 29er Butcher/Slaughter combo. Works well overall. I like that I can get the back end a lot more loose than I could with a full knobby.

Why would someone prefer the Minion over the Butcher on hardpack? I'm curious because I do notice the tall/stiff knobs of the Specialized tires when leaning over on hardpack/gravel stuff. They can get a little skate-y. In loose stuff they're golden.

The Control casing is......better than a single ply. I'll give it that. But it's not stellar.

They do seem to last a long time though.

How is the HRII paired with the Slaughter rear? Seems like the HRII would be a bit flatter profile, but I could be wrong.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why would someone prefer the Minion over the Butcher on hardpack? I'm curious because I do notice the tall/stiff knobs of the Specialized tires when leaning over on hardpack/gravel stuff. They can get a little skate-y. In loose stuff they're golden.
You just answered your own question. The blockier stuff on the minions don't really fold. The butcher/slaughter knobs do at a point on really hard dirt. Especially once they've been worn a bit.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Actually I've known the Minion siped sideknobs to fold like crazy on hardpack, which is why I was questioning that. The HR's get that nice wide surface area in the channel between the knobs to stick on hardpack, but the Minions were always noodles on the Socal stuff. To me at least.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You probably have like 60 lbs on me too.

So you can tell the difference on the minions between the siped sideknobs folding over and sliding along the top of the L shaped ones? They alternate so they go by pretty quickly from one to the other. That's some serious sensitivity :D

Looking at how they wear, it definitely happens. I think it's those two things that define how they break loose though. And I do think the butchers do it worse once they've been ridden a bit. Have you ridden the HR2s on the front? If you think the minions flex out of the way too easily, please for the love of your face, do NOT put an HR2 on the front. If you do make sure it's a hard compound. To me a tire breaking loose from the knobs folding down is a really quick sudden break without a whole lot of change in lean angle. The minion dhfs are way more gradual than the HR2s when they go.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I can tell when the front tire just sort of squirms towards the outside of the turn and doesn't respond to any additional lean/pressure, yeah. On faster hardpack and rocks it's really obvious.

The sideknobs of the Butcher are a LOT more stable, but they do stand up. Comparing the Minion, HR and Butcher on that kind of terrain they're all very different. On loose/loamy stuff I can't tell a damn difference honestly. Maybe a bit better braking from the HR? But that's about it.

I'm 185#.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Mavic Roam is really good. I got a whole season out of one and liked it enough to replace it with another.

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
I have a few rides on the 26 snakeskin Rock Razor front and rear.

They cornered noticeably better with a tube installed.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The Slaughter is good on rock and hard pack it gets sandy and stuff gets interesting while braking in straight line. Lean them over some and they bite okay even in sandy condition. I have one on The Following i just built up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure about hardpack, just in general on my DH bikes I've felt a bit more confident in all conditions on the minion. They are really similar tires, and I ran both a 42 and 3c DHF, so maybe it was just a matter of rest-of-the-bike setup, but I always felt more confident getting stupid on my DHFs than I did with my butchers.

On a trail bike I probably couldn't tell a difference. I just want business in the front and party in the rear, since around these parts there isn't that much sick loam to roost.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
To me the 2.3 Butcher Control felt narrower and more drifty on wide rims than the 2.3 HRII 3C, and the HRII grips on wet rocks and roots better, too. The shape of the side knobs is also different IMO - the HRII knobs stick out to the sides more which makes a difference on my unrideable wide rims when leaning the bike in corners. I'll stay with the HRII for a while, it is a great do it all front tire for NE, stout but not too heavy and rolling fairly well.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Mavic Roam is really good. I got a whole season out of one and liked it enough to replace it with another.
i find the casing a bit too narrow (even in the xl) for my tastes; have to run a fair bit of pressure to keep from pinging the rim. the cornering lugs could use more support as well; tend to fold when pushed hard. they do have a bit more straight line grip than the other semi's, though. i'll wait till wet season till i put them back on.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
re folding vs standing side knobs,

wouldn't it better if it fold a bit and lets drift a bit rather than fight against with stiff knobs?

I looked at Mavic Roam XL, sideknobs are placed quite widely and quite semisquare.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can tell when the front tire just sort of squirms towards the outside of the turn and doesn't respond to any additional lean/pressure, yeah. On faster hardpack and rocks it's really obvious.

The sideknobs of the Butcher are a LOT more stable, but they do stand up. Comparing the Minion, HR and Butcher on that kind of terrain they're all very different. On loose/loamy stuff I can't tell a damn difference honestly. Maybe a bit better braking from the HR? But that's about it.

I'm 185#.
If you want some really exceptionally solid side knobs you should try the Michelin Wild Rockr 2. They're a little heavy and only roll okay, but the side knobs are super burly. They corner ridiculously well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Have you ridden the HR2s on the front? If you think the minions flex out of the way too easily, please for the love of your face, do NOT put an HR2 on the front. If you do make sure it's a hard compound. To me a tire breaking loose from the knobs folding down is a really quick sudden break without a whole lot of change in lean angle. The minion dhfs are way more gradual than the HR2s when they go.
I really wish they'd put Minion side knobs on the HR2. That would be a kickass tire.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shit, I wish they'd put HR1 knobs on the HR2.

The HR2s got remolded from the first year. They are thicker on the sides now (and a lot better). I still wouldn't run a soft compound one on the front if I'm riding anything hardpack though. I used a maxxpro/dual whatever on the front of a bike this year and it was fine. I have a hard one on the back of my dh bike right now with no gripes.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I've been running a slaughter grid for a while on my Covert. Definitely the best rear tire I've ever used. It grips better than any semi slick should. The side knobs wear at an acceptable rate, the center tread doesn't seem to wear at all.
Also I actually prefer butchers to dhf, they seem to wear better for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shit, I wish they'd put HR1 knobs on the HR2.

The HR2s got remolded from the first year. They are thicker on the sides now (and a lot better). I still wouldn't run a soft compound one on the front if I'm riding anything hardpack though. I used a maxxpro/dual whatever on the front of a bike this year and it was fine. I have a hard one on the back of my dh bike right now with no gripes.
HR1 knobs would be even better.

Good to know that they beefed up the HR2 a little though. I tried one when it first came out and definitely didn't hate it, but did find it to be a little squirmy, and generally felt that the DHF was still a better all rounder for me. I might have to give them another try then.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just spent a long week hitting lots of good stuff in ID, MT, WY and UT, loved the rock razor rear with dhf front i put on just prior to the trip.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Ive been on a slaughter grid minion combo for about a month and Ive ran it with a 2.4 HR2 60A recently too but I slashed it after a few rides....The one Im on now has lasted longer than I thought but it's getting pretty smoked...I prefer it in looser softer conditions...when it's loose over hard it can get a bit too drifty and it can be hard to get slowed down when pushing it hard and braking late...Even though it's pretty worn it's still working ok on the way down but for tech climbing in the dry powdery stuff it can be tough....

I hope they release the minion ss in 60a....

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
The Slaughter Grid casing is the business in the rear. It's an interesting tire as others have outlined. I REALLY liked it for the first couple of months; in fact, one of my favorite rear tires ever for AZ conditions. After some miles, though, I didn't like it as much. I couldn't see any significant wear, but the tire began to feel different. Almost like the rubber started hardening or something.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I found the corner knobs on the rock razor to be a bit squirmy compared to slaughter.

The standard Evo casing isn't for riding in the desert either, 5 days left 10 cuts. All sealed with stans, butittle faith in that.

The rock razor is huge. Pretty slow edge to edge. The slaughter is normal sized.