Quantcast

Sea Otter 2012 Live Thread: DH, Slalom, GEAR!!

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009
Woohoo! that time of year again, the Bike crew will be updating us on the happenings in Monterey, but what really matters is what you guys have to say.

Anyone think Brendog has it in him for the slalom after 3rd at the British national?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Is graves still running the 4x bike for DH? Couldn't see in the Vital vid.

Also, the recent Eliminator champ was spotted with a full face on a dh run nonetheless!

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Will it be possible to watch the racing live on redbull/freecaster sort of thing?

I want to see an updated version of slalom like this:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
And where would one find some advice on how to build such a bike? ;)
well, by the looks of it, grabbing their stock super D bikes and riding the sh1t out of them. Neat to see that bicycles are coming out of the box the way we want them these days.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Will it be possible to watch the racing live on redbull/freecaster sort of thing?

I want to see an updated version of slalom like this:

I'm going to assume you've never been to sea otter being in scotland and all, but the sea otter DS is actually a pretty fuggin rad event. It is what makes people have their yearly "omg ds is pretty cool, people should race that" thoughts. That, and the fact that I want to try and sell some parts, are literally the only reasons I'm going tomorrow. The DH is a sh1t show, boring to watch and boring to ride, but the DS is a blast to watch/ride

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm going to assume you've never been to sea otter being in scotland and all, but the sea otter DS is actually a pretty fuggin rad event. It is what makes people have their yearly "omg ds is pretty cool, people should race that" thoughts. That, and the fact that I want to try and sell some parts, are literally the only reasons I'm going tomorrow. The DH is a sh1t show, boring to watch and boring to ride, but the DS is a blast to watch/ride
Quoted for truth.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
To each their own but I think Sea Otter is awesome. The Dual Slalom is just too much fun and IMO it's the best DS anywhere. Since the Sol Vista guys did some work on the DH track last year it isn't so bad anymore. It's actually kinda fun to ride. Yeah it's not a techy type of course, it's just high speed with some good jumps and it's a good warm up for the year. Where else can you ride bikes, talk about bikes, look at new bike stuff and think about bikes for 4/5 days straight with a ton of other people? The last 2 years I've driven 20+hrs from Colorado to California for the event and I'm pissed I didn't make it this year. I'll be back for sure next year. It's a blast!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Sea Otter DH, usually won on a full blown DH bike with a semi-slick. Probably the most inflammatory thing that can happen to a forum discussion. :D
It was won on a full on 4x bike with 4inches front and back last year if I remember right

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It was won on a full on 4x bike with 4inches front and back last year if I remember right
You remember correctly.

In fairness though, last year the yeti team was the only big name team in attendance, everybody else was off prepping for SA, and every year previous its been won on a DH bike with semi slicks. And I'm also willing to bet its won again by somebody on a DH bike with semi-slicks.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
You remember correctly.

In fairness though, last year the yeti team was the only big name team in attendance, everybody else was off prepping for SA, and every year previous its been won on a DH bike with semi slicks. And I'm also willing to bet its won again by somebody on a DH bike with semi-slicks.
That's right. Probably gonna be a DH semi-slick bike that wins (and the rider is a non factor of course)!!!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That's right. Probably gonna be a DH semi-slick bike that wins (and the rider is a non factor of course)!!!
I think it'll be won on a hardtail running a panaracer dart/smoke combo! Oh wait, I'm sitting this year out.