Quantcast

Schwalbe introduces Dual chamber tires for ultra low pressures

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I just wonder, whether it will be possible to make mentioned type rim compatible with Schwalbe's new tire just with a drill? ;>

Feb 26, 2003
plovdiv & boston
It actually was cornering that the rider was having issues with on the backwards Muddy Mary.
Vague ... you could say it that way as well. I've run that tire both ways on purpose for comparison reasons. It grips very well in either case, but the tire's "voice" is heard a bit later when run backwards. On dry loose over hardpack terrain, the sensation of the tire's initial slipping is more pronounced and could even be heard - just enough lean angle, close to the edge of traction, not drifting.

At the lean angle the tire started to whisper in the forward direction, it was silent in the backwards direction - it supported a bit more lean before starting the initial slip. In terms of ultimate lean angle it was closer, but still better backwards and much easier to recover once past the limit. Vague ... with so much lean maybe, but feels so much better on the edge.

SCARY

Not long enough
Vague ... you could say it that way as well. I've run that tire both ways on purpose for comparison reasons. It grips very well in either case, but the tire's "voice" is heard a bit later when run backwards. On dry loose over hardpack terrain, the sensation of the tire's initial slipping is more pronounced and could even be heard - just enough lean angle, close to the edge of traction, not drifting.

At the lean angle the tire started to whisper in the forward direction, it was silent in the backwards direction - it supported a bit more lean before starting the initial slip. In terms of ultimate lean angle it was closer, but still better backwards and much easier to recover once past the limit. Vague ... with so much lean maybe, but feels so much better on the edge.
Don't listen to him.....he's got like, zero knowledge. It's ridiculous.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pretty not cool, dude.

How are we gonna move this sport forward with stick- in- the- mud attitude like yours? Huh?
It's true. We're in the world now where instead of grinding chainguides and drilling holes in linkages, it's the companies telling us what we want now. "User created demand" is a thing of the past. See wheel sizes for reference. :D

edit: of course I say this being one of the people who want tubeless compliance and dh durability out of tires.
I'd actually love to see schalbe (or anyone else) come up with something that does that.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
For some reason, I thought a few riders were running the PROCORE system at Ft. Bill and experienced some substantial problems with it. Although, the article does go on to claim the following:

"Schwalbes Procore System has been extensively tested by different world-class athletes and has already claimed victories at the Enduro World Series and the Downhill Worldcup"

Trying to determine the WC winner who was on Schwalbe (specifically the PROCOR system):

PMB - Gwin = Spesh rubbers
Mud Jungle - Geesus = Conti
Bill - Broz = Spesh rubbers
Leo - Ratty = Maxxis

Although, this seems like more of a "you can limp to the finish line" type of solution, versus either a tubeless tire that won't burp at *relatively* low pressure or a tire that provides outrageous pinch flat protection without weighing 3,000 grams (and magically still has some reasonable degree of compliance) - which in the end, may just be a pipe dream.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Trying to determine the WC winner who was on Schwalbe (specifically the PROCOR system):

PMB - Gwin = Spesh rubbers
Mud Jungle - Geesus = Conti
Bill - Broz = Spesh rubbers
Leo - Ratty = Maxxis
think women.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I really like the idea. It seems to be working on MX bikes. However, I don't know whether it's popular among MX crowd or not.
It would be cool it it worked with cheap, Chinese carbon rims :)
The price is not cool, at the moment.

One question, though, do you still need sealant to seal tire walls?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I really like the idea. It seems to be working on MX bikes. However, I don't know whether it's popular among MX crowd or not.
Its not...and I dont think it works very well either from what I've heard (MX)..

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
edit: of course I say this being one of the people who want tubeless compliance and dh durability out of tires.
I'd actually love to see schalbe (or anyone else) come up with something that does that.
I agree. I think tire technology is really the only component left that might be capable of a "game changing" type technology improvement. IF you could get 700g 2.4/2.5 tires that have the flat resistance of a normal maxxis dualply....

Trek engineers, I know you're watching my posts. Give me that and I'll never complain again, ever, anywhere on the internet, about anything.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So this basically achieves the goal of the THE Eliminator rims with the added benefit of not being designed by a ****ing idiot.

Available in 26 or are they too science-ey for us neanderthals?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
+1

Then maybe my sidewalls won't combust spontaneously ending a $60 tire's life useless in only a few rides.

Or offer better warranty :D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The system is reuse-able and would work with any tire/rim. Having two air chambers to tune your traction vs flat protection is a pretty big advantage. With normal setups, I have to make a traction compromise due to higher pressures to have the lateral stiffness I need when cornering and to avoid flats. This system allows you to get the traction without the squirm or the flats.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Anyone knows if sealant will still be needed?
Doubtful, but that'd be dependent on rim-type and tire type. I was hoping Syntace had some kicking around when I bought my W35 rims here. I will be getting my mitts all over these when they go for sale. In 26".

MX reception of them is mostly pointless. They have explosive throttle w/ much more weight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The system is reuse-able and would work with any tire/rim. Having two air chambers to tune your traction vs flat protection is a pretty big advantage. With normal setups, I have to make a traction compromise due to higher pressures to have the lateral stiffness I need when cornering and to avoid flats. This system allows you to get the traction without the squirm or the flats.
Is that inner tube (sorry, don't know what else to call it) pliable at all or does it have a rigid, set volume when inflated? I'd think you'd want different sizes for various tire volumes and/or fine tuning that low pressure bit on the outside yeah?

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm sure my tires already do this in places I don't even think of.......

But this looks like a personal version of wishy washy squirmy hell to me

I don't even like how my tires feel under about 25psi, not sure why anyone would want to run low teens. I would think at too low of a pressure the tire just starts to roll like crap, regardless of tread and casing design.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I'm sure my tires already do this in places I don't even think of.......

But this looks like a personal version of wishy washy squirmy hell to me
yea...no. i can feel that squirm just sitting in my chair and it makes me uneasy.
i don't know about where you guys all live but here in the rocks when i feel that low pressure squirm my first thought isn't 'uh oh, dinged rim' or 'pinch flat', it's 'oh sh|t, my $idewalls are (more) exposed', why would i want that on purpose?

i've managed to find a decent balance between traction and stability for 25+ years now, i'm sure the rest of my days on a bicycle will be just fine with only air and goo in my tires.

SCARY

Not long enough
Just a note.i ve been running the magic marys for a bit and I think they corner better than minions and are much better in off camber situations. Been running them fowards?after complaining that they look goofy that way.
I don't rock the boat, I just do as I'm told. I run them as directed. Sg casing, soft compound, basically 2 psi under where I would a minion.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can't wait for 3 chambers, so I can run even lower pressure on the outside.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Schwalbe says, "you can run lower/low pressure", but you don't have to.
I currently use WTB i23 Frequency rims, with 100g Maxxis tubes (Flyweight?) and Maxxis Exo Minions.
My next bike will be set with 100g heavier rims.
So, if I went for Procores with cheap, Chinese carbon rims (hopefully compatible with the system) and EXOs, I would keep current wheels weight :) But, I would get better rim protection. Which is nice with carbon rims :)

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Sounds like the only gripe is that all of you would have wanted this to come from your own fan boy Tire maker instead of Schwalbe. No one has tried it and already there's responses to the effect of '...oh, that...'
It seems totally tunable, tubular, and able to be endur(o)able with nearly any Rim/Wheel within reason. Only when some variant of this is made, for more money out of pocket, will wack interweb intelligencia be satiated.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd give these a try for xc riding in the spring and fall here in the north east, when the rocks and roots are slick as snot. the marketing says the system weighs 200g. that's pretty significant for xc purposes. if that weight could be offset by lighter casings and narrower tires without compromising sidewall strength (cut resistance) then maybe it would be worth it.

in 26" of course.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just fill my tires with moto foam, figured it made sense as all the R&D comes from moto anyways.

It's sad that Syntace didn't partner up with Conti, then there would have been some chance of ending up with a decent tyre, Schwobbles suck!

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sounds like the only gripe is that all of you would have wanted this to come from your own fan boy Tire maker instead of Schwalbe.
If that's really all you get out of this thread, you haven't been reading very closely.

and if this

and the price will probably be around EUR 150 per set (two Procore systems)
means two tires and two rims, that's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that people only want something if it's expensive. But hey, at least schwalbe tends to have that covered already with normal tires. :D

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
If that's really all you get out of this thread, you haven't been reading very closely.

and if this (pricing)
means two tires and two rims, that's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that people only want something if it's expensive. But hey, at least schwalbe tends to have that covered already with normal tires. :D
i really doubt you'll get rims, tires and this bladder for $200 US. aren't the 'performance' schwalbe tires like $80 US retail? and syntace stuff isn't cheap.
i was assuming that price was just for the bladdery things.

Last edited: