Quantcast

Santacruz v10c and vivid air problem

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
[/Hi, i have a large V10c with a vivid air shock, the problem is that when i start setting it up i realize that the rock shox pump doesn't fit the air valve because the space betwen the valve and the piggy back reservoir is too tight for the air pump to fit, so i ended up dismounting the shock from the frame upper, rotating the body and pumping some air in it. Got to be an easier way to do it on the fly!!!!! please any help?

[/Hi, i have a large V10c with a vivid air shock, the problem is that when i start setting it up i realize that the rock shox pump doesn't fit the air valve because the space betwen the valve and the piggy back reservoir is too tight for the air pump to fit, so i ended up dismounting the shock from the frame upper, rotating the body and pumping some air in it. Got to be an easier way to do it on the fly!!!!! please any help?

i, too, have a large V10c with vivid air. provided your schrader valve is orientated in the correct location, access is tight but not impossible. just make sure your fill nozzle is of the lower profile type. i just use the included Rockshox shock pump. its alittle slow going screwing on the nozzle, but it works fine.

Bighitz

Chimp
Mar 18, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I had a Vivid Air on my Canfield Jedi with the same issue, from what I gather you can loosen the eyelet using a pin spanner and rotate it to fit frames with horizontal shock mounts like the 2011 Demo. However some shocks come with the eyelet aligned incorrectly, and don't allow you to attach a shock pump. I took mine to my lbs and they had it sent it back to SRAM, I ended up with a new one that the pump fit on perfectly.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
Yesterday i try again to make it fit but can't, i have to partially dismount the shock and rotate the can to screw the pump, what comes to my mind is that the guys at Santa Cruz have to check those things out before shipping the bikes, my V10 is one of the 100 "specials" Syndicate replicas so i think better care should be taken when sending the bikes to dealers, those are the little things that make a diference between brands in customer satisfaction

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Boo ****ing hoo.

you want manufacturers to try every shock on the market to make sure that you can fit a pump??

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have no problems getting air into the Vivid Air on my large V10c. This is not about product compatibility and you are too quick on the trigger in blaming SCB.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
given that there are lots, and lots, and lots of people with carbon v10's and vivid airs, I'd say its user mistake.

Also, plenty of frames will fit a shock, but adjustment is difficult. Its the nature of the leverage ratio the mfg is going for. sometimes you don't get easy access to the adjustments.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
given that there are lots, and lots, and lots of people with carbon v10's and vivid airs, I'd say its user mistake.

Also, plenty of frames will fit a shock, but adjustment is difficult. Its the nature of the leverage ratio the mfg is going for. sometimes you don't get easy access to the adjustments.
Well, to bad you can't teach me how to use my pump cause i really need it, all i can say is that i'm pretty good with my hands (as a matter of fact i do my living because of that hability, orthopedic surgeon) and the way i see it there's no way to make it fit (that i know), but of course got to be my bad not the brand who sold me a very expensive state of the art, 100 only bike to check that i can pump air in the bike's shock without taking it apart, anyway any positive sugestion is well taken.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
And the post is not about ripping SCB guts out, i'm the first one to say that they make the best bikes i have ever riden but also is the first time i have that kind of problem with any of my bikes current or previous and until now there's nothing but good things i can say about SCB. Still, the problem is there

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Your lbs should be able to adjust the valve position or you could do it your self. You only need a 2.2mm pin spanner.

I have a xl and dont have a problem fitting my rs shock pump. Is the valve on the same side as the end stroke rebound, just clearing the resevoir? That is the default position that it should come in.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Maybe I missed something, but what kind of pump are you using? If it has a longer metal piece to fasten onto the valve, I could see that causing issues. If its got one of the shorter ones like the wrenchforce, and I think RS pumps, it should be pretty straightforward.

Just be glad you didn't have a giant glory with the older style glory hole :D

Why not try another pump? There are a bunch of different adapters out there for schrader valves to make tire inflation easier on cars and motos. I'm seconding the user error theory... Good thing you are a doctor, because your typing and grammar isn't that great.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
When installing the air can it can be clocked so the air valve is in different locations relative to the piggyback. Mine was fine from the factory but after a Sram tech regreased it at a race I discovered the valve was too close to the piggyback. I showed it to him and he loosened and repositioned the air can. This requires a special tool but might be possible with channel locks or a spanner wrench.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yes a 2.2mm pin spanner and a vice is all you need to re position it, check the sram manual every step is explained in detail and what you need. Quite a simple fix, do remember to let out all the air out of the main chamber though.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
You can rotate the vivid air canister easily but it requires unbolting one end of the canister so you can do so. I too ran into this problem with the vivid air and thought I was gonna have to take it apart and reclock the valve. It's a PITA but just unbolt one end and slowly turn the canister to a position where you can attach your pump, once you add air rotate it back and remount it.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Well, to bad you can't teach me how to use my pump cause i really need it, all i can say is that i'm pretty good with my hands (as a matter of fact i do my living because of that hability, orthopedic surgeon) and the way i see it there's no way to make it fit (that i know), but of course got to be my bad not the brand who sold me a very expensive state of the art, 100 only bike to check that i can pump air in the bike's shock without taking it apart, anyway any positive sugestion is well taken.
SCguydudebro,
sorry to hear about your issue, sounds like a bitch. sram, to their credit, offers a lot of ways to configure the vivid air for an OEM. We picked the valve position that clocked it upward, to the non-drive side, which seemed like the easiest access. This is the first time I've ever heard of having to unbolt the shock from the frame. Its possible the shock isn't to spec, or, as others have suggested, the pump you're using is off. Or, the schrader valve core is f-ed up possibly.

Either way, something's up, because this is an anomaly. Some pictures of what you're using would help if it continues.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
Why not try another pump? There are a bunch of different adapters out there for schrader valves to make tire inflation easier on cars and motos. I'm seconding the user error theory... Good thing you are a doctor, because your typing and grammar isn't that great.
I have used three diferents pumps with the same result, sorry about my grammar and typing but English is not my primary lenguage, we can use another if you want, French, German, Italian or Spanish perhaps? you're call

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I have used three diferents pumps with the same result, sorry about my grammar and typing but English is not my primary lenguage, we can use another if you want, French, German, Italian or Spanish perhaps? you're call
nice.

SCGUY

Chimp
Apr 9, 2012
SCguydudebro,
sorry to hear about your issue, sounds like a bitch. sram, to their credit, offers a lot of ways to configure the vivid air for an OEM. We picked the valve position that clocked it upward, to the non-drive side, which seemed like the easiest access. This is the first time I've ever heard of having to unbolt the shock from the frame. Its possible the shock isn't to spec, or, as others have suggested, the pump you're using is off. Or, the schrader valve core is f-ed up possibly.

Either way, something's up, because this is an anomaly. Some pictures of what you're using would help if it continues.
I don't want to trash SCB, not my intention as a matter of fact later i post that SC bikes are the best bikes i ever ridden, what i want are some ideas to fix my problem, i'll post some pics as soon as i get back home in a week, thanks for your concern