Quantcast

San Antonio riding? Dirt Jumps? Skateparks?

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
In town for two weeks, brought my dirt jumping/urban/park hardtail so looking for some places to ride. Been asking around and the "BikeWorld" shop gave some half ass directions I can't remember. Any good shops to stop into? I found this Dropzonecycles place on the web but haven't tried to stop by their shop yet.

Mr Big

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
The Betty Ford Clinic
sa riding kinda sucks.

mac- has some cool stuff. dj, a big gap jump, and some small drops

op- has some big ass dj and some tech dh

but as you can tell if you live or been here, its flat

pm me if you want to ride this weekend

also the guys at dropzone are cool. they ride mac and bring in wooden stunts to make it intresting. go see jaime

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'm going to be in SA for a while after Easter. Can you give me a clue as to where mac and op are? Should I bring my FR bike? And is there anywhere driving distance from SA that's worth heading to for riding?

Cheers,
Jon.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Jon-Boy

Mac is MacAlister park right beside the airport, north side.

Op is Op Schenadal (sp?) park off Brennen road outside the 410 loop. You can see both parks on maps.

There were some guys there riding DH/FR bikes in Mac park. Drop by the DropZone Cycles place, they are about the only ones that do that type of riding in SA.

There is an indoor skatepark in SA as well that allows bikes. http://www.saskatepark.com/

Austin has a huge BMX contigency and the 9th street jumps are very famous but you will not be able to ride there on an MTB. They don't allow MTB's on their jumps. I didn't make it to Austin but maybe next time I am out there over the weekend. Since my Fall Guy really passes for a BMX bike :)

From my current plans I will be in SA April 16-21 and I plan on bringing my bike with me again I think (it's one hell of a hasle carrying bikes on planes). I will not have my DH bike with me, just my Fall Guy DJ/Park bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Macs DJs are easy, but fun.

OPs used to be much bigger but I don't know what condition they are in now.

Lone Star BMX track is open on Tuesday nights and used to allow MTBs.

I would not take a DH bike. Just a short travel bike or hardtail would be perfect.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Doug, where are the darn Mac DJ's, specifically? I rode around in the park the last time I was there and could not find them. I found the guys jumping off their wooden structure into their hole and big fly out jump. I went in the main entrance of the park.

I will try and find the OP jumps too the next time I am out there.

BTW, how the hell did you live there? I can't see living in that place.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
San Antonio sucked 2 good years of my life away. I'll never go back. The Mac DJs are back near the soccer fields. Go in the main entrance. Go to the T intersection and turn left. You'll come up on some soccer fields on your right. Stay straight on the road and duck back down into the woods. The are some pavillions and swing-sets. Park there and head off into the woods through the swing sets. Back in there you will find a field. Make your way up into that field the jumps are there. Go by Dropzone and ask Jamie for better directions.

The OP jumps are down and across the creek. Even though there may not be any water in the creek, they still call it a creek.

jdp526

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
Check out www.bikemojo.com , or, www.storm-web.org for rides around San Antonio/ New Braunfels/ Austin.
Besides OP Schnabel and McAllister Parks, there is a new state park just outside of SA, on the NW side of town called Government Canyon with apprx 40 mi of trails. Check with park on hours of operation.
There is Flatrock Ranch about 45 min north on I10, 1300 acres with trails built for MTB riding, charge is $6/day. There was a Texas XC MTB race there about a month ago with over 400 entries.
There is another state park about 40 min from the nw side of SA called Hill Country Natural Preserve, that is about 4000 acres for MTB riding.
Canyon Lake Madrone trail is about 45 minutes north of SA.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Thanks for the options and advice. Looks like I might have to travel sans bike as I'm going to LA prior to going back to Vancouver and I don't fancy having to pack the bike and lug it around with me. I'll have to find some bike-less entertainment for the 22/23 April weekend. I will visit the stores thought to see if there's any deals to be had.

jdp526

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
Bike World is on Broadway about 5 minutes south of airport
Dropzone is on Starcrest near Jones-Maltsberger (near Mac Park) just north of airport
Bike Logic is north of Dropzone on Wetmore rd
Bike Heaven is out north of town at Huebner Rd/Stone Oak Pkwy
Rideaway Bikes is near Huebner Rd/I10 nw side of town