Quantcast

Saint 20mm Front Hub Service

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Does anyone know how to remove the axle from a 2011 saint M810 20mm through axle hub?

I need to service my cones and bearings, and I have the lockring off, but when I try to remove the cone, the entire axle just spins. There doesn't seem to be anything for me to grab on to.

Vice grips don't work. It's really on there.

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/HB/EV-HB-M810-2824B_v1_m56577569830677327.pdf

Looking to unscrew #3 from #5. There isn't anything to keep the axle from spinning while I do it.

I have the right tools, its just that dumb axle keeps spinning and I can't grab it or I'll scratch it up and it's REALLY SLIPPERY ARGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help please :D

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looking to unscrew #3 from #5. There isn't anything to keep the axle from spinning while I do it.

I have the right tools, its just that dumb axle keeps spinning and I can't grab it or I'll scratch it up and it's REALLY SLIPPERY ARGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help please :D
Maybe try clamping the hub in the fork and loosen the cone? Once you get it started you should be able to pull the hub out of the fork.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Maybe try clamping the hub in the fork and loosen the cone? Once you get it started you should be able to pull the hub out of the fork.
No, that part that is spinning #5, doesn't clamp in the fork, the fork axle (that comes with the fork) is what clamps in the fork.

ended up being a two person job. One person squeezing pliers other turning cone wrench.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
No, that part that is spinning #5, doesn't clamp in the fork, the fork axle (that comes with the fork) is what clamps in the fork.
I realize that the hub axle doesn't get clamped by the dropouts, but it does get squeezed on the sides/ends by the dropouts. I thought that might create enough friction to loosen the cone. Anyhow, glad you got it sorted.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Cone and lock nut at only one end from the diagram but it may be that the left hand of the axle has a similar lock nut and cone but it isn't detailed in the diagram. Normally that is how a hub is constructed. Normally a 20mm axle is aluminum which of course won't work as a bearing surface so steel cones are threaded on to the aluminum axle with lock nuts holding them in place. Typically one removes one lock nut and cone and you pull the axle out the other side. I am not familiar with that hub so perhaps Shimano did something different here.

It may help to clamp the opposite end of the axle in an axle vice which is simply an aluminum vice jaw with axle sized cutouts.

Last edited: