Quantcast

Round tube DHR vs DW-DHR sizing

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
I'm considering upgrading my trusty round tube old-style Turner DHR. Considering how well it's treated me over the years, and how great Turner's been to deal with the obvious choice is to upgrade to a DW version of the same bike.

Here's the rub though. I've got a large currently and it fits me great. Objectively it's a little small for a guy my size (6'5) but I've gotten very used to riding small bikes over the years and considering I'm about 50-50 freeride to DH it's a good compromise.

The question is, should I move to XL, or just stick with the Large? There's little or no chance of getting a demo ride in, let alone a demo on an XL frame (lots of people rider Turners here in Whistler, but nobody really sells them) so the obvious approach of choosing after I try one out isn't possible.

So any big DHR riders out there want to offer some insight? How does the XL compare to the L? Is the DW large comparable to the older version large, or did it shrink a bit to make some room for the big size? (the geometry from model years don't measure the same things so a direct comparison isn't easy).

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The DW XL is bigger than the round tube L for sure. I know a guy at 6'3" who loves his XL, on the other hand I ride with a guy who is 6' and traded his large for a medium.
If you are happy with a large round tube, I'd say you should be happy with a new large.
You are big for a large though!
If you need any help with measurements let me know and I'll try to help.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
Crankworx is a little too long of a wait, especially when last year's 'demo' consisted of instructions to "find a guy driving a Turner van and ask him if you can try his bike".

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
6'2" and went from a L Highline to an XL DW DHR and love the size of it.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
6' 3", liked my round tube DHR size Lg...the Reach wasn't super long, but the Stack was fairly tall (by modern standards) which meant it didn't feel cramped when standing & pedalling. demo'd a size L DW DHR which felt okay but a bit small for me; bought a size XL DW DHR. The wheelbase is approximately 400 inches on the XL but you soon adjust. With a slack HA like it has, low bar position is key so DT kept the headtube short and the Stack is quite short...so short that when standing & pedalling the bars feel like they're down by your knees (i have ultra lo rise bars and a low profile Answer DM stem) so I had to put 20 or 25 mm spacers under the top crown.

The geo is different enough that an exact comparison cannot be made, but (for me) the current Lg felt like it had similar reach but lower stack compared to the round tube Lg, and the XL feels right for me. At your height, the XL seems a no brainer.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
For me the cockpit felt a bit smaller on my DW vs. my round tube. So if you feel that the round tube Lg is a bit small for you the DW DHR will feel even smaller.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'm 5'11" and on a large. I'd say it's very slightly on the big size for me. I've had friends that are a couple inches taller ride it and say it fits perfect. At 6'5" I'd go with an XL.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm 6' and have sat on an XL and it only felt a little big. I've ridden a L round tube a bit and it was pretty spot on for me. I'd say the XL is the way to go probably. It'll feel a little different at first but I think it'll fit you better really.

woffa04

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
Im 6'4 and went from a L round tube to an XL DW frame and couldnt be happier. I have sat on my brothers L DW frame and it feels good but an XL is definetly more comfortable