Quantcast

Rock Shox pike question

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
hi monkeys.

I have a rock shox pike 130 mm 27.5 that came on my santa cruz 5010.

I see that the pike is only available in 150mm in 27.5 when purchased aftermarket.

My buddy suggested that it could possibly just be a lowered 150 mm and I may be able to raise it to 140 or 150 by removing, reconfiguring, adding spacers?

Does anyone know if this is possible or if this is the case?

130 seems just fine, but I did enter one #trenduro race this summer and figured for that event it wouldn't suck to add 10-20mm more travel to my fork if its easy and simple.

If not I'll rock it just the way it is.

Thank you in advance for the "raising your fork will change your geometry and bike handling" comments.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My neighbor has a 140mm Pike on his SB9C, but that option is only for the 29 version.
I also think overall travel is changed with expensive parts vs simple spacers. There might be a 140mm parts option for he 27.5 model.

Finally, and I'm not sure, but raising your fork will change your geometry and bike handling.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My neighbor has a 140mm Pike on his SB9C, but that option is only for the 29 version.
I also think overall travel is changed with expensive parts vs simple spacers. There might be a 140mm parts option for he 27.5 model.

Finally, and I'm not sure, but raising your fork will change your geometry and bike handling.
Yes, thank you for that relevant information also :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Are you really looking for more travel, or a slightly more relaxed HA?

If the latter, do you know how your frame behaves with offset shock hardware?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I wouldn't have minded a click more travel for the "gnar" out there on the east coast.

I am actually very comfortable on the bike, I just know that it's a "click" undermatched for a true "gnarly" "rad" "stoked bro" #trenduro race when compared to say a 150 or 160 mm offering.

I don't really have any other need to add travel or relax the head angle.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Thanks, 10-20mm of travel isn't something I'm interested in spending money to get on this particular bike.
Might be something to keep in mind if you do your annual service and are in the fork already. You can find the shafts pretty easily through web stores like Tree Fort Bikes. The travel is stamped on the bottom of the air shaft for clarity. I just found a few online for $30-40.

Will be moving my 150mm 26" to a 160mm 26" when the time for a rebuild comes myself. Also there is a great thread on MTBR about changing the travel. I'll try to get the link later....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Umm, not to point out the shuttle elephant in the room, but are we really discussing slightly changing fork travel on an unrideable bike?

:confused:
have to try and make it rideable some how.

my research shows that if you lift the front of the bike and theoretically change the angle at which the ground and rear tire contact each other the characteristics of the vpp suspension become virtually rideable. So, there is always that.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
my research shows that if you lift the front of the bike and theoretically change the angle at which the ground and rear tire contact each other the characteristics of the vpp suspension become virtually rideable
Ride wheelies up shit and manual down shit and you won't need no stinking fork.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Slightly off topic but what why the hell did SRAM get rid of the U-turn travel adjust system?

It was so simple and useful.
For some reason, I seem to recall the U-turn system was problematic and unreliable, however easy to use. I may be way off base on that tho, as the only fork I've seen with it was a Psylo, and that thing was award winning POS regardless of model. Anyway, they do still offer a 2 position option, so while its not as "infinitely" adjustable as the U-turn, it still provides a meaningful reduction/increase in travel (e.g. 120mm to 150mm).

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The coil u-turn was super simple (just a few threads on the coil) but I guess the modern stravaholes and endubros have no time to turn the top knob a few times any more.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
For some reason, I seem to recall the U-turn system was problematic and unreliable, however easy to use. I may be way off base on that tho, as the only fork I've seen with it was a Psylo, and that thing was award winning POS regardless of model. Anyway, they do still offer a 2 position option, so while its not as "infinitely" adjustable as the U-turn, it still provides a meaningful reduction/increase in travel (e.g. 120mm to 150mm).
I've never had any problems with the 8+yr old U-Turn forks that have. It's so simple all you gotta do is throw some grease and lube oil on there every once and a while.

My issue is that all the dual position systems are air and I just can't really like air suspension, doesn't feel the same (kinda like condoms :D ). The ability to shorten my fork for the climb and then enjoy the buttery spring suspension on the way back down was awesome.

The coil u-turn was super simple (just a few threads on the coil) but I guess the modern stravaholes and endubros have no time to turn the top knob a few times any more.

Travel adjust systems for air shocks are way more complicated and I've seen so many problems with them compared to the 0 issues I've seen on U-Turn forks. WTF SRAM it's not like these things could possibly be that expensive to produce.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah, now that I think about it (and see it), there's really nothing complicated about a coil U-turn system - as StiHacker illustrated.

That said, does anyone even make a coily SC fork anymore? Devo or Zoch?