Quantcast

Roach Rally

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Got a question. I ordered the Rally DH pads from my lbs, but he screwed up the order and got the FR instead. He's more than willing to send them back and get the right pads, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I tried them on in the shop and they seem bomber. Nice coverage, light weight and good ventilation. The only thing is that I got these for DH racing...I already have some Fox 911 that I use for freeriding.

Does anybody have the DH, or can anybody compare the DH to the FR? Is the level of protection enough to warrant sending these back for the heavier duty ones? The FR seem to have as good or better coverage than many companies DH pads.

tenderfoot

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
The big difference between the DH and the FR is the thickness of the foam behind the actual pads and the mesh covering the back of the legs. The DH is a little thicker and has the mesh and are hot. I had the DH and had some problems with the top of the knee pads rubbing away the skin above my knee, but I doubt everyone has had that problem.
I swapped out the DH for the FR and have had zero problems with them. They're so light you don't even feel them, except when you need to, and they do the trick as far as protection is concerned. Hope this was helpful.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I had the DH pads and I hated them. Way too big for me (medium). So, I got the FR in medium also, and they fit perfect!! I like the FR better. They don't move on me, good side knee protection, grip calves better. My DH never seemed to fit and the mesh backing might make you feel better about your calf protection, but I would rather have better ventilation over bulkiness.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I got the DH at first and they didn't fit (medium) They were huge with tons of back of the calf protection. So I ordered the FR and it was exactly what I was looking for. Killer fit and protection and thhey stay in place and don't overheat me too bad. Sweet pads.

Donate the 911's to a needy grommet, the Rally FR's are alll you'll need ;)

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Exxcceelllent.

Thanks folks, guess I'll be keeping them. Gotta say, this is the first time an LBS screw-up has worked in my favor.

Zark, that's not a bad idea. I got a buddy in desperate need, but if he declines I'll post something on here.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I agree about the FR v. the DH pads.

I still don't understand why heavier products end up labeled DH and lighter ones FR (it's a trend in all componentry and clothing.) Actually, I do understand...I guess FR implies pedalling around whereas DH implies lifts and shuttles. But in practice, it's not usually the case, is it? The racers all want light stuff and the self-described freeriders all want heavy/strong/cheap stuff.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I chose the FR over DH version, mainly because I have a friend who was having some chafing issues with his DH versions. They are quite a bit stiffer and don't bend too well. The FR version has LOADS of coverage and are perfect for DH duties.