Quantcast

Riise crowns for 888

samich457

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Stinkin Lincoln
Been really busy lately and havent had time to call Risse, but does anyone know if they have any black crowns in stock? Last I heard they were out and taking orders. Any word?

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Hmmmmm funny..When I bought my Risse crowns a few months ago every one said they were crap and that the Risse people were a bunch of stoners. Well after a few months with them they still ROCK!

I remember Brian HCM#1 defending Risse but most everyone else was really bashing them and being arm-chair engineers..aw they won't clear above 2.5 tires, the arch will bash into the crown.

I would also like to thank ChrisRobin for pointing these crowns out.

Oh yea and if you want to read the origional thread here it is:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82535&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Risse+crowns

They just flat out rock all!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BlackDiamond said:
Hmmmmm funny..When I bought my Risse crowns a few months ago every one said they were crap and that the Risse people were a bunch of stoners. Well after a few months with them they still ROCK!
and they are still stoners...

we didn't say they sucked, we made fun of risse for being stoners

BlackDiamond

Chimp
Jan 25, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga CA
You mean like when you said:

Jm_ said:
These guys put an 888 on a 4" travel FSR-max frame...

The question is, how stoned were they, stoned enough that the product is decent? Or so stoned that they had no idea about both the bike and the crowns...?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
They have actually slightly changed the design of the lower clamp. My main concern was the amount of clamping surface at the rear of the bolt-on steerer. They have now corrected that and its much thicker now. The guys at Risse were cool enough to let me trade my old lower for the new one:thumb:

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Brian HCM#1 said:
They have actually slightly changed the design of the lower clamp. My main concern was the amount of clamping surface at the rear of the bolt-on steerer. They have now corrected that and its much thicker now. The guys at Risse were cool enough to let me trade my old lower for the new one:thumb:
Lol... "Cool enough"? They probably realized the original design was likely to fail and they did not want you to die and have your parents sue them ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Mani_UT said:
Lol... "Cool enough"? They probably realized the original design was likely to fail and they did not want you to die and have your parents sue them ;)
I'm sure they realized that, I called them and questioned that design when I first received the set a month in a half ago. Reguardless, its nice to see they quickly made improvements.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Mani_UT said:

Parents sue them? Man, Brian is ooooooooooold ;) , if think he can sue people on his own now :p .

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
don't put the lower crown in the lowest position (with the minimum line just visible under the crown), it' will seriously ding the M-arch.

Trond

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Trond said:
don't put the lower crown in the lowest position (with the minimum line just visible under the crown), it' will seriously ding the M-arch.

Trond
realy? how much higher do you have to put it? does it also apply to the Go-Ride crowns?

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
I'll try to post a pic tonight. I seems it should be at least 3mm above the minimum line. I now have a snake bite on both sides of the arch. It doesn't apply to the go-ride crown as they have machined a 45degree'ish piece away from the front of the crown.

Pretty bad r&d. I have three of four riding buddies that have experienced the same - so it's just not me :think:

First ding applied here:

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
I know :(

Luckily the Magnesium lowers are softer than aluminum, so it dented the arch and didn't bend or give it an ugly deformation in any way.

Think two marks from a two-finger kung fu master :devil:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I guess the best way to fit any lower crown is to simply take the top caps off, bottom out the fork and set it from there (tire and arch clearance)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Brian HCM#1 said:
Got a photo of the new one? Does the lower crown have the middle radiused away like on the Go-ride so larger volume tires don't hit it on hard bottom?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
syadasti said:
Got a photo of the new one? Does the lower crown have the middle radiused away like on the Go-ride so larger volume tires don't hit it on hard bottom?
Its identical to their original with the exception of the lower steerer clamp.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Brian HCM#1 said:
Here yah go
Thanks - lots of good fork options for 2004-2005. I hope to have my 888 170mm sometime this month if I am lucky - waiting on my bike & build kit. I got e13 cups though & 170mm for a 7.3" travel frame. Don't think I need a low crown, 170mm, and e13 cups all at the same time - would make for some steep geometry :dead:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
syadasti said:
Thanks - lots of good fork options for 2004-2005. I hope to have my 888 170mm sometime this month if I am lucky - waiting on my bike & build kit. I got e13 cups though & 170mm for a 7.3" travel frame. Don't think I need a low crown, 170mm, and e13 cups all at the same time - would make for some steep geometry :dead:
Nope, you will not need them at all.
I have the 170mm with a big fat FSA 1.5 headset, and it still fine, and I am not running my fork on the minimum line even.
If I would have known this, I would have got the 8 inch version with the E13 cups. Well, there is always next year. :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jeremy R said:
Nope, you will not need them at all.
I have the 170mm with a big fat FSA 1.5 headset, and it still fine, and I am not running my fork on the minimum line even.
If I would have known this, I would have got the 8 inch version with the E13 cups. Well, there is always next year. :)
I need the e13 cups though - the 888 wasn't recommended w/o them by the frame maker...