Quantcast

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm not sure I agree with that. With all the $10+ bombers out there, Pliny seems pretty reasonable.
-Firestone Double Jack
-Great Divide Hercules
-Bear Republic Racer X

First three big DIPAs/IIPAs that come to mind that are (IMO) better, cheaper, and more widely available.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
-Firestone Double Jack
-Great Divide Hercules
-Bear Republic Racer X

First three big DIPAs/IIPAs that come to mind that are (IMO) better, cheaper, and more widely available.
When I had Pliny last year I would have rated it taste-wise as more of a "standard" IPA - along the lines of Racer-5, Titan, and Union Jack. Those that you listed I'd definitely say packed more of an IPA wallop than Pliny.

Oh - and it's a good thing you don't live in this area... I have a feeling we would be trouble if we lived close enough to drink beer together regularly. :homer:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When I had Pliny last year I would have rated it taste-wise as more of a "standard" IPA - along the lines of Racer-5, Titan, and Union Jack. Those that you listed I'd definitely say packed more of an IPA wallop than Pliny.

Oh - and it's a good thing you don't live in this area... I have a feeling we would be trouble if we lived close enough to drink beer together regularly. :homer:
Could be. I haven't had either Pliny variant in a while.

And yeah, probably. :cheers: There's a pretty good chance I'll be taking a lap of some Colorado resorts some time in Feb TBD, so I would be very game for a beer then if you're around.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
-Firestone Double Jack
-Great Divide Hercules
-Bear Republic Racer X

While all those beers are super solid, I wouldn't say any of them are better than Pliny. Pliny has that hop symphony that is a rarity. Alpine and New Belgium did a collaboration called Super IPA that was pretty similar.

Since you are in Seattle, I highly suggest you seek out Boneyard Hop Venom. It's a big IIPA like double jack but much better IMO. It came out on top in a taste test my local beer pusher did between 10 well regarded IPAs including Pliny and Double Jack. I can get growlers for $13 which seems like a steal. Their RPM IPA is also awesome.

Taplister has proven to be pretty reliable when looking for specific beer in PDX.

http://www.taplister.com/beers

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yup, had it. It's pretty good but didn't blow me away. Probably merits a second try though.

Edit: rep for the website. :cheers:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is the first year I've had on tap so a little hard to say but I'm inclined to say it's somewhat less epic than it has been. I have a couple bottles on hand, I'll report back when I've had one

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Didn't have a chance to post up the stout tasting last Friday...

Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper
Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper Aged in Oak Barrels
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Avery The Czar
Firestone Parabola
North Coast Barrel Aged Old Rasputin
Founder's Oatmeal Breakfast Stout
2009 Surly Darkness
2011 Surly Darkness
2009 Deschutes The Abyss

It was a great night!

Then Saturday went to dinner with a friend at a local gastropub.
Stone Vertical Epic 05.05.05
Diamond Knot Ho-Ho Cask
Schooner Exact Brewing Hoppy the Woodsman Cask
Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08
Stillwater Brewing Barrel Aged Debauched

Epic weekend.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Then Saturday went to dinner with a friend at a local gastropub.
Stone Vertical Epic 05.05.05
Diamond Knot Ho-Ho Cask
Schooner Exact Brewing Hoppy the Woodsman Cask
Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08
Stillwater Brewing Barrel Aged Debauched

Epic weekend.
Brouwer's? As of a couple days ago they had all the Vertical Epics, '03-'12.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Stressed to the max.
First afternoon off in 4 weeks (had to be at work 6am today, just for the morning for a change).

Just opened the 4th .05L bottle of Waldhaus Schwarzwald Weisse.
Sun's out, Pork leg with experimental chilli rub in the oven.
I should be relaxing but I feel like I'm about to pop a vein.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yes. yes they did. I was not going to do the entire vertical though. I would've if I hadn't had to function the next day...so i picked and chose.
Nice. I love that place. Didn't have any of the VEs because I wasn't in the mood for anything Belgianesque (rarely am tbh) but seeing them all there was cool.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just tried to PM you but I'm too big a dumbass to figure it out in the mobile layout. But we should grab a beer sometime.