Quantcast

Reminder for all Shiver owners

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Remember to let air out of your fork. I was to busy before the Whistler trip but I had noticed that it had a quicker rebound and just didn't feel as controled as in May. Well its fix now and the fork feels so much better now.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
CBJ said:
Remember to let air out of your fork. I was to busy before the Whistler trip but I had noticed that it had a quicker rebound and just didn't feel as controled as in May. Well its fix now and the fork feels so much better now.
How often do you recommend letting the air out of the fork? I normally do it after a couple of weeks worth of riding. Should it be done more often?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joe Pozer said:
How often do you recommend letting the air out of the fork? I normally do it after a couple of weeks worth of riding. Should it be done more often?
Mine was already bad after one month of riding and so far it seems like its necessary after 2-3 full days of riding.

Air spring Shiver but then it would not be heavy :nope:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't get it I raced my Shiver for an entire season without letting any air out and it worked perfectly...what gives?....D

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
zedro- if the shiver normally sucks in air, does your fork gain air pressure over time instead of losing it?
i've never heard of this before. is it only a problem with shivers? or with inverted forks? or with all forks? how come i've never heard of this before?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
squarewheels said:
zedro- if the shiver normally sucks in air, does your fork gain air pressure over time instead of losing it?
i've never heard of this before. is it only a problem with shivers? or with inverted forks? or with all forks? how come i've never heard of this before?
It is nothing secret and this is why all 02 Shivers and up have a little screw on the top cap to let air out.

BMXman mine build up a lot more this time than before but that must be because I am riding so much faster now :D

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
squarewheels said:

I think its a problem with all forks...I got a buddy that says he does the same thing to his forks on his moto bikes. Something to do with air expanding at altitude.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Dog Welder said:
I think its a problem with all forks...I got a buddy that says he does the same thing to his forks on his moto bikes. Something to do with air expanding at altitude.
no, this happens at constant altitude also. I believe this happens when the fork is in the rebound stroke and its also pulling the cartridge down, relieving pressure off the top-cap o-ring. The fork extending wants to pull air in, and the lower loaded o-ring may allow air to escape inward. Its the only thing i can think of, especially since some forks have spacing problems exactly in that area.

I have no idea the effect on my air springs, although my stock setup used to suck in air, but not at a high rate.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BMXman said:
I don't get it I raced my Shiver for an entire season without letting any air out and it worked perfectly...what gives?....D
You really don't want me to remark about the total amount of runs you take in a 'race season,' do you?

(that almost even made me use a smiley...)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MikeD said:
You really don't want me to remark about the total amount of runs you take in a 'race season,' do you?

(that almost even made me use a smiley...)
this was before I knew you and rode for Nicolai...I had a Shiver for almost 2 years and never had a problem bleeding air....btw I raced well over 15 races on that fork not mention BB at least 15 times :eviltongu

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So? I can still make fun of you, and it's still funny...

MD

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Also on the subject of Shiver's, I have found that a loose hub makes the legs twist. All of the symtoms- the creaking and the twisting- make it seem like a crown problem, but its the hub. I have a Hadley front and this has only happened twice in 2+ years.

norco_nut

Chimp
Mar 26, 2002
Canada
When I'm re filling my Shiver with oil...am I supposed to let some pressure off somewhere once I've got it full?? I get it filled up and I can only get like 3 inches of travel out of it. But, when there is no oil in it, its fine. So it has to be the oil height.

I'd look it up now but I'm so freaking frustrated with tonight's botched fork re-building I'm ready to pass out.

thanks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
norco_nut said:
When I'm re filling my Shiver with oil...am I supposed to let some pressure off somewhere once I've got it full?? I get it filled up and I can only get like 3 inches of travel out of it. But, when there is no oil in it, its fine. So it has to be the oil height.

I'd look it up now but I'm so freaking frustrated with tonight's botched fork re-building I'm ready to pass out.

thanks.
Are you measuring the oil height when the fork is compressed or extended? You are suppossed to meassure it with the fork compressed. Marzocchi's are very easy to work on.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Repack said:
Are you measuring the oil height when the fork is compressed or extended? You are suppossed to meassure it with the fork compressed. Marzocchi's are very easy to work on.
yup, fork legs compressed, springs out, carts down, 80mm (nominal) from top of the uppers.

norco_nut

Chimp
Mar 26, 2002
Canada
Sweetness, thanks....I thought about it while laying in bed (best place to think) last night and I thought that would be the case. Thanks alot!!!

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
BMXman said:
this was before I knew you and rode for Nicolai...I had a Shiver for almost 2 years and never had a problem bleeding air....btw I raced well over 15 races on that fork not mention BB at least 15 times :eviltongu

Uhh not to be a but-in-ski but I seem to remember burping the air in your shiver for you......... as a matter of fact I upgraded your fork to the newer topcap with the burp screw (your fork was an OG one they did not come with them)

yep we burped your fork on more than one occasion.....